Default Funny boat show story

I didn't see this happen myself, but I was out on a boat test today and
the broker related the following event from the recent Boat Show.

"One of the boats near us in the show had been sold to a private owner
late last fall, with an understanding that the dealer could borrow it
back for display at the boat show. This isn't all that unusual,
especially when a model is scarce. The owners used the boat for a
couple of weekend cruises, and then turned it back in to the dealer to
be detailed and prepped for the show.

There was one small problem. The owners had used the holding tank, but
not bothered to empty it. They must have assumed the dealer would take
care of that before the boat went on display- but the dealer did not.

During the course of the show, a couple with two rambunctious kids were
inspecting the boat and when the dealer wasn't looking the kids started
flipping switches at the helm. I guess I don't need to tell you what
happened when they got to the switch for the macerator.....it pumped
one hell of a stinky mess into the aisle!"

Somebody should have whacked that boat with a newspaper, and put it
outside. :-) (kids too!)

I thought there had to be a padlock on the dump to prevent
it from being dumped inside the three mile (or whatever) limit.

************

It's supposed to be "secured". (Depending on the Coastie doing the
inspection, a chunk of wire or a zip tie may be sufficient). By the
same token, it was supposed to be "empty" at the boat show. You will
find a lot of show boats where the Y valves are not wired shut.

Some builders use an ignition switch for the macerator dump, with the
theory that if the key isn't in the switch the system is secured until
3 miles offshore.

I suspect that a lot of guys scramble down into the engine room to make
a few "adjustments" when the CG hauls them down and wants to come
aboard. Unfortunately, long brown trails of evidence from illegally
pumped holding tanks are common sights around here in the summertime. I
don't know whether that's because the waters are often calmer and this
stuff shows up, or whether it's because the guys who only take their
boats out twice a year and don't know any better, (or don't give a
damn), do it in the summertime.

JimH

"JohnH" wrote in message
On 27 Jan 2005 20:10:41 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Good one. Thanks. I think I'd be disconnecting the batteries if
showing a boat.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to
resolve it."
Rene Descartes

Many exhibit halls require the batteries not only to be disconnected but
also to be removed from the boat.

Good one. Thanks. I think I'd be disconnecting the batteries if
showing a boat.

John H

********

That would be fine on a small, open boat but it would create some
safety concerns on larger craft with enclosed compartments. People do
need to be able to see when touring through a vessel, and not all boats
have AC as well as DC lighting.

Besides, at out show there's a bit of a tradition. On the last day of
our ten day (!) show, when the PA system finally thanks the crowd for
coming and announces the show is over, a large number of boat horns are
sounded in celebration. Tough to do with no battery power.

Many exhibit halls require the batteries not only to be disconnected
but
also to be removed from the boat.

****
Not ours. But gasoline is another matter. No more than one gallon of
gas allowed in the tank of any gas powered boat. Up to half a tank of
diesel is OK, however.

JimH

wrote in message
oups.com...
Many exhibit halls require the batteries not only to be disconnected
but
also to be removed from the boat.

****
Not ours. But gasoline is another matter. No more than one gallon of
gas allowed in the tank of any gas powered boat. Up to half a tank of
diesel is OK, however.

I can see how that can be a problem for the dealers, especially for demo
boats on display.