HiTech Redneck

Default Marine Wiring

Does any one have a link for a guide to marine wiring. Just need to wire
basics in small bass boat.

Thanks

Go to the technical data page on the following web site:

http://www.ancorproducts.com/

It won't make a maritime electrician out of you, but you might find
some helpful ideas and suggestions.

Do be sure to use stranded, tinned, genuine marine grade wire. Ancor's
sizing chart will help you pick the right diameter based on load and
length of run.

Maynard G. Krebbs

On 19 Jan 2005 11:07:23 -0800, wrote:

Go to the technical data page on the following web site:

http://www.ancorproducts.com/

It won't make a maritime electrician out of you, but you might find
some helpful ideas and suggestions.

Do be sure to use stranded, tinned, genuine marine grade wire. Ancor's
sizing chart will help you pick the right diameter based on load and
length of run.

Don't forget to run a + and _ wire to/from each load. Don't ground
things to or through the hull if it's a metal boat.
Mark E. Williams
Gary

12-Volt DC wiring for a small boat tends to be
mostly simple and straightforard. A few things:

It's really good to seal all the connections well. I used
connectors that have heat-shrink built in. Make sure the
connector has a good grip on the wire when you crimp
the connector on. Then use the heat-gun / blow-dryer
to activate the shrink stuff.

Get some dielectric grease and put it on any
metal parts of connectors still showing...and on
the battery terminals. It keeps them from corrding.

Use switches that are made for Direct Current and
are rated for the amps & voltage they will carry. Don't
use items that are for Alternating Current. (I did this
once).

If you have specific concerns about how to design your
system, ask here - you'll get lots of good answers.

Gary

JamesgangNC

I would add to that advice solder and cover all connections with heat
shrink. Avoid crimp and push together connectors. I also use ss inside
star lock washers where connectors are on device studs.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Go to the technical data page on the following web site:

http://www.ancorproducts.com/

It won't make a maritime electrician out of you, but you might find
some helpful ideas and suggestions.

Do be sure to use stranded, tinned, genuine marine grade wire. Ancor's
sizing chart will help you pick the right diameter based on load and
length of run.

Doug Kanter

.....and file sharp edges off the soldered connections. They can puncture
heat shrink tubing.

"JamesgangNC" wrote in message
link.net...
I would add to that advice solder and cover all connections with heat
shrink. Avoid crimp and push together connectors. I also use ss inside
star lock washers where connectors are on device studs.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Go to the technical data page on the following web site:

http://www.ancorproducts.com/

It won't make a maritime electrician out of you, but you might find
some helpful ideas and suggestions.

Do be sure to use stranded, tinned, genuine marine grade wire. Ancor's
sizing chart will help you pick the right diameter based on load and
length of run.

John

Check out

http://www.geocities.com/bill_dietri...tml#Electrical

There you can find many links to the info you're looking for.

John
Retail4Wholesale.com

Gary

I forget and don't have the brand / web-link handy,
but I purchased crimp connectors that have the heat-shrink
built in. That is, you put the wire in, crimp it, then heat it
and it shrinks around your wire.

No soldering. Very good connections.

Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
ANNOUNCE: Steerage Marine - All Africa Marine Search Engine in South Africa [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 24th 04 02:35 PM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
paradise cove trip Brien Alkire ASA 31 February 15th 04 11:17 PM
The same people Simple Simon ASA 28 July 23rd 03 03:20 PM