Gould 0738

Default Why some left coasters think they are moderates...

Oh boy! A quote war! :-)

Scotty launched the first salvo with:

There is nothing patriotic about hating your country, or pretending that you
can love your country but despise your government."
Bill Clinton
Speaking at Michigan State University

Gould courageously fired back with:

"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the
president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree in which he
himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he
efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the
exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by
the country."

Theodore Roosevelt

******

Now, Scotty, if you are willing to state "I think Bill Clinton is a wiser man
than Teddy Roosevelt"- I guess your quote wins. :-)

Here's the article where I found the quote:

------

------
Party loyalty is un-American

------

© 2000 WorldNetDaily.com

Our first president, George Washington, warned us about the dangers of putting
any political party above the general interests of the country. It would do
well for Americans today to relearn this basic lesson. Our loyalty must first
and foremost be to the fundamental principles upon which our nation was built,
not to the finite interests of political partisanship.

It is a fatal mistake to assume that any political party is the harbinger of
patriotism. Theodore Roosevelt said, "Patriotism means to stand by the country.
It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official, save
exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is
patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is
unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or
otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country."

My loyalty to a party or politician must be measured by his loyalty to the
fundamental principles on which America was founded. When I remain loyal to a
politician or party after they demonstrate an unwillingness to be faithful to
those immutable principles I am guilty of disloyalty to my country.

Sadly, too many people today are willing to turn their backs on truth for the
sake of remaining loyal to the party. Democrats who railed for justice when
Richard Nixon was president looked the other way or even defended crimes
committed by Bill Clinton. Republicans who railed against Bill Clinton refuse
to examine the character, conduct and positions of G. W. Bush.............
(remainder snipped)

(Article written by Dr. Chuck Baldwin)

Gould 0738

A huge percentage have serious doubt about Bush? How about far less than a
majority. According to the latest polls, anywhere from 54% to 64% of
Americans approve of the way GWB is doing his job.

Never said it was a majority. Merely a huge, (rather than insignificant)
percentage. Read for content, please.
Jim--

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
A huge percentage have serious doubt about Bush? How about far less than

majority. According to the latest polls, anywhere from 54% to 64% of
Americans approve of the way GWB is doing his job.

Never said it was a majority. Merely a huge, (rather than insignificant)
percentage. Read for content, please.

Please learn definition of the word huge. I posted it for you to save time:

huge
(click to hear the word) (hyj)
adj. hug·er, hug·est

1. Of exceedingly great size, extent, or quantity. See Synonyms at
enormous.

2. Of exceedingly great scope or natu the huge influence of the Hellenic
world.

Sorry Chuckie, but a *huge* percentage of Americans *support*, not doubt,
GWB.

Brush up on your grammar skills, please.

Backyard Renegade

"Jim--" wrote in message ...
"Gould 0738" wrote in message
A huge percentage have serious doubt about Bush? How about far less than

majority. According to the latest polls, anywhere from 54% to 64% of
Americans approve of the way GWB is doing his job.

Never said it was a majority. Merely a huge, (rather than insignificant)
percentage. Read for content, please.

Please learn definition of the word huge. I posted it for you to save time:

huge
(click to hear the word) (hyj)
adj. hug·er, hug·est

1. Of exceedingly great size, extent, or quantity. See Synonyms at
enormous.

2. Of exceedingly great scope or natu the huge influence of the Hellenic
world.

Sorry Chuckie, but a *huge* percentage of Americans *support*, not doubt,
GWB.

Brush up on your grammar skills, please.

He is just fine with the grammar skills, he is just intellectually
dishonest and good at goosestepping...
Harry Krause

Backyard Renegade wrote:

"Jim--" wrote in message ...
"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

The meaning of "huge" fits perfectly well into the way Chuckster used
it. The word is not finitely defined. It isn't one of those BORG binary
words, eh?

By the way, it is a huge mistake to consider the art of "defining" words
as part of grammar.

Grammar deals with inflexional forms of a language or other means of
indicating the relations of words in the sentence, and with the rules
for employing these in accordance with established usage. It also
usually includes the phonetic system of the language and the principles
of its representation in writing.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Jim--

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Backyard Renegade wrote:

"Jim--" wrote in message

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

Who made you dictionary king? That is your opinion....I stated mine.

By the way, it is a huge mistake to consider the art of "defining" words
as part of grammar.

Grammar has everything to do with the proper use of words when conveying an
idea or opinion. You think not?

Harry Krause

Backyard Renegade wrote:

"Jim--" wrote in message

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

My two degrees in English, perhaps, my long career as a professional
writer, and my collection and use of many dictionaries, none of which
are the on-line type you like?

There is no finite definition for "huge" in the dictionary. A standard
definition is as follows:

Very great, large, or big; immense, enormous, vast.

Not finite. Do you understand the term finite?

By the way, it is a huge mistake to consider the art of "defining" words
as part of grammar.

Grammar has everything to do with the proper use of words when conveying an
idea or opinion. You think not?

Hehehe. You're wrong, as usual. I gave you the definition of grammar.
The art of defining words is not a part of grammar. You obviously don't
know what the definition of grammar is, either.

What is it that you do know?

--
Email sent to is never read.
Jim--

Jim-- wrote:

Grammar has everything to do with the proper use of words when conveying

an
idea or opinion. You think not?

Hehehe. You're wrong, as usual. I gave you the definition of grammar.
The art of defining words is not a part of grammar.

Where did I say it was. I said "grammar has everything to do with the
proper use of words when conveying an idea or opinion." Do you dispute that
Harry?

Harry Krause

Jim-- wrote:

Grammar has everything to do with the proper use of words when conveying

an
idea or opinion. You think not?

Hehehe. You're wrong, as usual. I gave you the definition of grammar.
The art of defining words is not a part of grammar.

Where did I say it was. I said "grammar has everything to do with the
proper use of words when conveying an idea or opinion." Do you dispute that
Harry?

Absolutely, and the definition I provided refuted it.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Jim--

Jim-- wrote:

Grammar has everything to do with the proper use of words when

conveying
an
idea or opinion. You think not?

Hehehe. You're wrong, as usual. I gave you the definition of grammar.
The art of defining words is not a part of grammar.

Where did I say it was. I said "grammar has everything to do with the
proper use of words when conveying an idea or opinion." Do you dispute

that
Harry?

Absolutely, and the definition I provided refuted it.

Sorry bud but what you just said makes no sense. And you have two degrees
in English, a long career as a professional writer, and a collection and use
of many dictionaries?

Funny.