wgander

Default Can Someone Help With Old "Brand New" Propeller?

I doubt it has any special value as a propeller.
It may be worth something to someone who restores ChrisCrafts. Look for a
ChrisCraft, wooden boat or boat restoration group/forum.

" Dave Hare wrote in message

Hello,

My father bought a brand-new Chris Craft inboard motor boat around 1947 or
so, and took it up to the lake, and put it in the water for a test drive.

The
water level in the lake happened to be low at that time, and the first

thing
he did was gut the boat on a submerged log, and it sank straight to the
bottom. My understanding is that it's still down there.

Now here it is some 60 years later, and his parents' -- my grandparents'
house is being sold, and while going through it my cousin finds what he
believes was a spare propeller (screw, I believe is the proper term) for

my
father's Chris Craft, and brings it by the house and gives it to me. Says

he
thought I might like to have it.

It looks to be made of brass, measures 12" across, and has three blades.

It
has the number "645" stamped on it in one place, and "12L-H 12" in

another,
and "1947" in another, and the words Michigan Aqua****ter" (asterisks for
missing letters).

I know nothing about boats, and I don't know what to do with it. It holds

no
sentimental value for me, and is just taking up space.

I just wonder if it's worth anything, and if it is, where might be a good
place to try and sell it.

I found this newsgroup and thought somebody in here might have an idea

about
it.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Hare

Lonney

" Dave Hare wrote

Hello,

My father bought a brand-new Chris Craft inboard motor boat around 1947 or
so, and took it up to the lake, and put it in the water for a test drive.

The
water level in the lake happened to be low at that time, and the first

thing
he did was gut the boat on a submerged log, and it sank straight to the
bottom. My understanding is that it's still down there.

LOL, sorry to laugh at this unfortunate incident, but I can't help it. Why
is this funny? Newbie sinking his boat on a first outing?

Newbie gets back home,..wife says "where's the boat, dear" ..."at the
bottom of the lake, Honey, I sunk it" lol.

Netsock

" Dave Hare wrote in message

[...]

Its a Michigan Aqua-Master made in 1947. 645 is the dye/cast number. It is a
12" diameter, with a 12" pitch, and is a left-hand drive.

It is most likely made of NIBRAL, which is an acronym for Nickel, Brass, and
Aluminum Alloy.

Even modern NIBRAL screws are somewhat expensive. A modern 12X12 would cost
more that $350 new.

Because its an old original, you may find some Chris-Craft (or other vintage
boat) owners willing to pay even more for it.

Additionally, there aren't hardly any modern left-hand engines out there,
that could turn this screw.

Hope this info helps.

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/

Gary

Netsock gave you some good info about this prop. Here is a little mo

The "645" is the dye/case numbre as Netsock said. It was also known as the
"Wheel Number". Basically it's a part-number specifying a specific prop.

It probably isn't worth a fortune - but to someone that is restoring a boat
that
takes that prop, to have an origional prop that has not been used at all is
worth something.

I tried to look up what model(s) of Chris-Craft this prop came from but
have not found it yet. ~ If you want to sell it you should try to find the
boat model(s) and adversite is that way.

When I was restoring a CC I did look on ebay for parts. And there often
are Chris Craft parts on eBay, so that may be one OK place to sell it.

Other soucres of info / places to sell:

The Mariner's Museum in Newport News VA (www.mariner.org)
has a "Chris Craft Archives" division run by Jerry Conrad.
Phone (800-565-6846). Give them a call, they will have any
information you need.

Check out Antique Classic Boating Society at (www.acbs.org)

These people sell Chris-Craft and other old boat parts, and might
pay you something and/or give you information:
Chris-Craft-Parts.com
ClassicBoat.com
OldMarineEngine.com

I'm not sure if your prop was from a "Sea Skiff" model, but
this site does have a part-for-sale secion:
www.SeaSkiff.org

Hope That Helps,
Gary

trainfan1

Netsock wrote:

Additionally, there aren't hardly any modern left-hand engines out there,
that could turn this screw.

Except for Centurion, Gekko, Malibu, Mastercraft, Moomba, & Tige...

Correct Craft is the only tournament boat, I think, that uses a right
hand prop... due to the left-hand (CCW) engines.

Rob
Netsock

"trainfan1" wrote in message
Netsock wrote:

Additionally, there aren't hardly any modern left-hand engines out

there,
that could turn this screw.

Except for Centurion, Gekko, Malibu, Mastercraft, Moomba, & Tige...

Correct Craft is the only tournament boat, I think, that uses a right
hand prop... due to the left-hand (CCW) engines.

Rob

Oops...did I get that backwards? Right-hand is the rare one?

Ok...

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/

trainfan1

Netsock wrote:
"trainfan1" wrote in message

Netsock wrote:

Additionally, there aren't hardly any modern left-hand engines out

there,

that could turn this screw.

Except for Centurion, Gekko, Malibu, Mastercraft, Moomba, & Tige...

Correct Craft is the only tournament boat, I think, that uses a right
hand prop... due to the left-hand (CCW) engines.

Rob

Oops...did I get that backwards? Right-hand is the rare one?

Ok...

I don't know if I would call either one "rare", the right-hand-propped
inboard, which is quite common, requires a reverse-rotation (ccw)
engine, and the left-hand-propped inboards are a little more
straight-forward to do an automotive conversion job (still have to have
corrosion issues and spark ignition issues, & carb venting &
construction, all addressed).

When looking at rebuilds or new blocks, there is a $100.00 to $250.00
premium on the ccw engines.

Most stern drives have a standard, cw rotation engine.

Rob
Netsock

" Dave Hare wrote in message
Frankly, I've gotten a lot more help from this ng than I ever expected. I

was
hoping there would be people in here knowledgeable enough about boats to

give
me some sort of clue, but now I have a real good base of information to go
on. Thanks to all, and to you especially, thanks a *lot*!

Dave Hare

Glad we could help Dave, and welcome.

My only other advice is to set up a kill file, and some filters to weed out
all the OT stuff and trolls. After the garbage is cleaned out, your left
with some pretty good boating stuff.

Enjoy...

propeller size Mark UK Power Boats 1 July 14th 04 12:17 PM
Propeller rotation - important? Anders Lassen General 21 June 9th 04 10:37 AM
Propeller efficiency question (electric) MBS Boat Building 4 December 23rd 03 04:39 AM
January propeller seminar in Florida D MacPherson Boat Building 0 December 10th 03 04:58 PM
propeller engineering question MBS General 8 November 8th 03 04:01 PM