Netsock

" Dave Hare wrote in message

Hello,

My father bought a brand-new Chris Craft inboard motor boat around 1947 or
so, and took it up to the lake, and put it in the water for a test drive.

The
water level in the lake happened to be low at that time, and the first

thing
he did was gut the boat on a submerged log, and it sank straight to the
bottom. My understanding is that it's still down there.

Now here it is some 60 years later, and his parents' -- my grandparents'
house is being sold, and while going through it my cousin finds what he
believes was a spare propeller (screw, I believe is the proper term) for

my
father's Chris Craft, and brings it by the house and gives it to me. Says

he
thought I might like to have it.

It looks to be made of brass, measures 12" across, and has three blades.

It
has the number "645" stamped on it in one place, and "12L-H 12" in

another,
and "1947" in another, and the words Michigan Aqua****ter" (asterisks for
missing letters).

I know nothing about boats, and I don't know what to do with it. It holds

no
sentimental value for me, and is just taking up space.

I just wonder if it's worth anything, and if it is, where might be a good
place to try and sell it.

I found this newsgroup and thought somebody in here might have an idea

about
it.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Hare

Its a Michigan Aqua-Master made in 1947. 645 is the dye/cast number. It is a
12" diameter, with a 12" pitch, and is a left-hand drive.

It is most likely made of NIBRAL, which is an acronym for Nickel, Brass, and
Aluminum Alloy.

Even modern NIBRAL screws are somewhat expensive. A modern 12X12 would cost
more that $350 new.

Because its an old original, you may find some Chris-Craft (or other vintage
boat) owners willing to pay even more for it.

Additionally, there aren't hardly any modern left-hand engines out there,
that could turn this screw.

Hope this info helps.

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/