Ad absurdum per aspera

Default Hitch inversion theory

Three times in the past week or so, I've noticed something I don't
recall seeing befo someone with a high-riding pickup or SUV who had
two to six inches of drop hitch -- installed upside down.

Two of them had a trailer on, and in the worst case, a flatbed behind a
Ford Excursion, the upside-down apparatus combined with the tall
vehicle to leave it sitting at maybe a twenty-degree angle. I'm
surprised he didn't leave his trailer taillights on the speed bumps --
or his cargo on the road going up a steep hill.

Just for completeness, I went to a local store and looked at the
catalogue from one of the big makers of trailering tools and toys.
Sure enough, it contained not only instructions but photographs showing
what things are supposed to look like when properly rigged. Somehow
people are spending money on an accessory that they probably need --
and using it exactly wrong.
Fishtailing soon down an Interstate near you...

--Joe

LD

I have two vehicles I flip the hitch (the std 2" drop where in the "correct"
position the ball mounting surface is even w/bottom of the hitch). This
gives me a slight down on the back of the trailer for two different boats.
I frequently put my "duck boat" (a 14.5' Duracraft w/25hp Johnson) in
shallow water so this helps get it off the trailer. On the other, a 20.5'
Wellcraft w/200hp motor, it lets more water drain out but it's not down but
a couple of inches. What you're describing sounds kind of scary to be
around!
LD

"Ad absurdum per aspera" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

JR North

Just goes with everything else stupid, brainless SUV owners do. Ever
notice how most of the cars with rear-end collision damage have the
damage about 2 feet up? Guess who? By the way, if your'e driving an SUV,
and I don't allow you you to merge in front of me- BITE ME.
JR
[...]

basskisser

JR North wrote:
Just goes with everything else stupid, brainless SUV owners do. Ever
notice how most of the cars with rear-end collision damage have the
damage about 2 feet up? Guess who? By the way, if your'e driving an

SUV,
and I don't allow you you to merge in front of me- BITE ME.

So, you are totally against everyone who drives any SUV? Even those
that use them for the reasons intended? Even those who need the room
for the work that they do?

Nate Nagel

basskisser wrote:

JR North wrote:

Just goes with everything else stupid, brainless SUV owners do. Ever
notice how most of the cars with rear-end collision damage have the
damage about 2 feet up? Guess who? By the way, if your'e driving an

SUV,

and I don't allow you you to merge in front of me- BITE ME.

So, you are totally against everyone who drives any SUV? Even those
that use them for the reasons intended? Even those who need the room
for the work that they do?

Those people are in the minority, but they tend to actually know how to
use their vehicles safely so they're not the problem.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

keith_nuttle

Have you ever notice that the people who are anti SUV's are from the
same group of people who insisted on gas mileage ratings that caused the
manufactures to build vehiles so small that only one or two people can
ride comfortably, and that can not pull a boat, carry a family, or have
room for other hobby type things that the average person like to do.

I guess it irks them to see their indirect creation.

JR North wrote:

[...]

Nate Nagel

keith_nuttle wrote:

Have you ever notice that the people who are anti SUV's are from the
same group of people who insisted on gas mileage ratings that caused the
manufactures to build vehiles so small that only one or two people can
ride comfortably, and that can not pull a boat, carry a family, or have
room for other hobby type things that the average person like to do.

I guess it irks them to see their indirect creation.

As usual, the gross generalizations have exceptions. Yes, i do *drive*
a car that only seats two people comfortably, but I firmly believe that
market forces should determine what people purchase, not CAFE.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Calif Bill

He sounds like those head up the ass drivers who cause accidents by not
showing any courtesy. Maybe those SUV's hit the car in front because the
car in front sees the extra room the SUV left and pulls into the space and
applies the brakes. Happens lots while towing the boat and freeway onramps
and offramps are involved.
Bill

m...

"JR North" wrote in message
[...]

JR North

/rant
The main beef I have with SUVs is the people who drive them have little
or no experience with the shifted drivers perspective due to the
elevated eye level. I have come within a short hair's width of being
broadsided TWICE by Lincoln Navigators, who's drivers ran a stop sign on
an intersecting side street. This is because they are used to looking UP
at a stop sign in a car. The elevated eye level in an SUV puts the sign
about level with the driver. So, it doesn't register. People who are
used to driving trucks do not make this error. The higher driver
position causes an error in judging the distance of the car in front,
and sometimes not even seeing it because it is below the drivers
straight ahead line of vision. I was waiting to turn left into a 7-11
with my brake and T/S lights on in my '70 Datsun Roadster. I glanced in
my RVM to see a Ford Expedition barreling right at me at 45mph. I
stomped the gas and got out of her way just in the nick of time. I could
see her face as I glanced- see was staring straight ahead- didn't even
see me sitting there. If I hadn't moved, I would have been killed-
literally run-over by that monster.
Suvs rear-end cars for the above illustrated conditions. I have 3
neighbors with SUVs, all 3 currently have front end damage.
As I said, look at the number of cars with rear end collision damage
well above bumper height.
I have had SUV's repeatedly change lanes into me(without colliding),
because they can't see smaller cars next to them.
Am I discourteous to SUVs? You bet. I can't trust one behind me, and
can't see around one in front of me. If one is next to me, I'm just
waiting for it to swerve into my lane. If one is approaching on a side
street, I expect it to run the stop sign. This is no way to drive with
peace-of-mind.
The main problem is the nitwits that drive them have no experience
driving a large, high vehicle.
I'm just counting the days till I get killed by one.....
\rant
JR

[...]

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"