Jim

Default Tried to launch my boat today, launch ramps CLOSED!

The cop sitting by the closed sign told me that it was closed because of
the orange terror alert.

Anyone know anything about this? Is this what we can expect from now on?

Attention terrorists, plan ahead, don't wait to launch your boat on the
day you attack. Put it in the day before.

Geezus, stupid government thinking.
Jim

Chuck Tribolet

Where?

The Coast Guard Pier launch ramp in Monterey was open today.
The name is appropriate -- the CG ties up to the breakwater next
to it, and CG Station Monterey is about a block away.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"Jim" wrote in message hlink.net...
The cop sitting by the closed sign told me that it was closed because of
the orange terror alert.

Anyone know anything about this? Is this what we can expect from now on?

Attention terrorists, plan ahead, don't wait to launch your boat on the
day you attack. Put it in the day before.

Geezus, stupid government thinking.
Jim

Jim

I tried two ramps, the launch ramp at Cabrillo Beach, Los Angeles
Harbour, and Long Beach Harbour. Both closed.

Maybe this was some local thing.

Jim

Chuck Tribolet wrote:
Where?

The Coast Guard Pier launch ramp in Monterey was open today.
The name is appropriate -- the CG ties up to the breakwater next
to it, and CG Station Monterey is about a block away.

Gould 0738

Do they normally have a cop stationed at these ramps?

If so, they could be closed for Orange Alert because the cop was needed
elsewhere, not because they thought the terrorists were gonig to try to escape
in a Boston Whaler.
Gould 0738

Actually, since they had a cop sitting by the sign, the ramps would need to
have multiple cops on an ordinary day for the possibility I just advanced,

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 03:45:00 GMT, Jim wrote:

The cop sitting by the closed sign told me that it was closed because of
the orange terror alert.

Anyone know anything about this? Is this what we can expect from now on?

There must have been another reason - that just doesn't make any
sense.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"We may say of angling as Dr. Boteler said of strawberries:
Doubtless God could have made a better berry, but doubtless
God never did and so, if I might be judge, God never did make
a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler"(1653)
Doug Kanter

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 03:45:00 GMT, Jim wrote:

The cop sitting by the closed sign told me that it was closed because of
the orange terror alert.

Anyone know anything about this? Is this what we can expect from now on?

There must have been another reason - that just doesn't make any
sense.

Here in Rochester, my local ramp was open the weekend before last, and there
were probably 75 boats anchored, fishing for perch. The docks had been
removed, but with two people, launching wasn't a problem. But, I saw
something I'd never seen before at this location: There were two CG guys
walking back and forth constantly between the jetty which protects the
channel into Lake Ontario, the the launch site, which is directly adjacent.
At first, I thought they were checking safety equipment, or doing the DEC a
favor and looking at fishing licenses. But, they didn't pause long enough to
check equipment as each boat came in. Then it dawned on me:

It was a gorgeous day and the lake was flat as glass. It would've been a
breeze to bring a small boat across from Canada.

I think we can expect all sorts of strange stuff for quite some time.

NOYB

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Shortwave Sportfishing" wrote in

message
[...]

I'm glad the CG is there to keep the likes of Don and Lloyd out of our
country.

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 15:36:58 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

[...]

I was up at Lake Champlain this summer and there were a ton of
Canadian boats in and around the place we were staying at.

Of course, I was about an hour south of the border, but hey.. :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"We may say of angling as Dr. Boteler said of strawberries:
Doubtless God could have made a better berry, but doubtless
God never did and so, if I might be judge, God never did make
a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler"(1653)
Lloyd Sumpter

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 15:36:58 +0000, NOYB wrote:

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Then it dawned on me:

It was a gorgeous day and the lake was flat as glass. It would've been a
breeze to bring a small boat across from Canada.

I think we can expect all sorts of strange stuff for quite some time.

I'm glad the CG is there to keep the likes of Don and Lloyd out of our country.

Don't need 'em - wouldn't go down there on a bet. Of course, this is the
fundamental problem with your border security: it's keeping honest folks like
Don and I (who might spend money down there!) out, but is doing nothing to
counter terrorism.

Lloyd - proud Canadian - Go Rick Mercer!

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM