Mark Browne

Default rec.boats FAQ (was: why 2 batteries on boat?)

snip
The answer(s) should certainly be in the FAQ file if we only had one.

snip

We do; see:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/boats-faq/part1/index.html

http://ejo.univ-lyon1.fr/faq/by-news...rec/rec.boats/

http://www.newsville.com/cgi-bin/getfaq?rec.boats

http://omicron.felk.cvut.cz/FAQ/articles/n1037.html

http://faqs.jmas.co.jp/FAQs/boats-faq/

Also, see the boats of rec.boats at:

http://thebayguide.com/rec.boats/

Mark Browne

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
news
Mark, you're right of course but these so called FAQs have not been
updated in years, are VERY poorly organized, and contain a lot of
misleading or out of date, i.e., "wrong" information. I just spent
about 20 minutes pretending to wear my newbie hat, and tried to find a
reasonable answer to the aforementioned battery switching question.
The answer may be in there but not before my patience ran out.

OK, so much for criticism, here's my vision of what the FAQ should be
for what it's worth: It should be HTML based with appropriate
hyperlinks to related or more detailed information; The table of
contents should be hyperlinked; It should be searchable by keyword;
It should be periodically updated as new or better information becomes
available; There should be a review process to sift out, or properly
annotate, controversial points of view.

Just my 2 cents worth, now we need some volunteers :-)

snip

The task at hand is to bring the existing FAQs up to date.

Question to Lee Yeaton:
Is there room on the bay guide to put a FAQ page?
-or-
Is there a better place to host a rec.boats FAQ?

Question to all:
It is wintertime and most of our boats are sleeping.
Who is up for doing something worthwhile and boating related?

If there is sufficient interest I can spend some time with this project.

Mark Browne

DSK

Default rec.boats FAQ

Mark Browne wrote:

snip
The answer(s) should certainly be in the FAQ file if we only had one.

snip

We do; see:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/boats-faq/part1/index.html

http://ejo.univ-lyon1.fr/faq/by-news...rec/rec.boats/

http://www.newsville.com/cgi-bin/getfaq?rec.boats

http://omicron.felk.cvut.cz/FAQ/articles/n1037.html

http://faqs.jmas.co.jp/FAQs/boats-faq/

Of course it's not well organized, and some of it is woefully outdated. As
far as batteries go, I didn't get that far before I found something that was
incorrect and should be removed.... various statements about water ballast,
mostly. And whoever said that Meter boats are "tubby" needs his head
examined, they *are* heavy but are very narrow & deep. However since approx
99.9% of the people coming here are interested in outboard or stern drive
motorboats, it probably doesn't make any difference.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

JDavis1277

OK, wonderful, update the FAQs.

Please introduce each subject with the admonition to read Chapman's and take
the Power Squadron or USCG Aux course before getting involved with boats.

Or is it Power & Sail or somesuch now?

Butch

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Interesting boat ride...... Gould 0738 General 21 October 21st 03 02:00 AM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM