Rob West

Default on topic: Volvo Penta outdrive at dock

New Volvo Penta Ocean Series with the composite outdrive designed for
in-water storage in salt water. Dealer suggested that at dock, leave
outdrive down completely so the hydraulic piston controlling outdrive
trim is completely drawn in and not exposed to salt water. This is
the only part of the outdrive not bottom painted, including the
stainless duoprops.

Problem is with winter low tides here in SW Florida, with the outdrive
down, at low tide, the outdrive is pinned in mud at the dock. (We had
-0.87 ft low tide two nights ago.)

Anyone have any experience or knowledge on whether its better with the
outdrive down pinned with some of the boat's weight on it but with a
protected hydraulic piston or up with the boat floating free but an
exposed stainless trim piston? The issue would be buildup of marine
life on the stainless piston that might damage seals as the piston is
drawn in as it would be trimming down. I realize this is a new issue
with an I/O actually designed to be left in salt water.

Suggestions? Thanks!
Rob West

K. Smith

Rob West wrote:
[...]

Seeing it's staying moored I'm assuming it's a bigger boat. not a
trailer type boat??

If that's correct then be careful the sterndrives have always been
damaged when the tide is allowed to go out from under a heavy boat with
the drive(s) in the down position. Expect well over 1/2 the boats
displacement to be supported by it/them. Add any sort of passing wash or
wave action & not much chance of a happy ending.

Assuming you're around, you can leave the leg up for safety against
grounding damage & just cycle it up & down a few times every few weeks
or at least per month. The rams' seals will clean light (non shell
barnacle type) growth off the rams OK.

Butch Davis

If your bottom conditions are sand or gravel I'd leave the drive up. If
soft mud I would leave the drive down. I assume the nobility of the props
and the tilt/trim rams are fairly close? If so, galvanic issues are
probably not a concern unless you have stray current present. Marine growth
should be watched but if a problem I'd probably use an SOS pad to clean the
rams vice the ram seals as recommended by the K.

Butch
"K. Smith" wrote in message
Rob West wrote:
[...]

trooper99

I would be tempted to take a shovel down to the marina on the next
extreme low tide and dig out an area around where the outdrive sits. If
you make the dug out area large enough in circumference, there will
still be some depth under the outdrive after it naturally settles. It
will be messy work, but could save you a lot of headaches and expense
later.

Tell anyone who asks what you are doing, that you are digging for
clams... really big ones.

Rob West wrote:
[...]

Gould 0738

would be tempted to take a shovel down to the marina on the next
extreme low tide and dig out an area around where the outdrive sits.

Depending on the nature of the bottom, it could fill in again very quickly.
That it will fill in again is almost a certainty.

BrianR

For what it's worth, my opinion is:
Up. If the water intake is in the outdrive, the mud will block it. Can you
guarantee that there's nothing hard in the mud?
The weight of the boat supported by the drive will put a lot of stress on
the transom appart from possibly damaging the drive. Especially if there's
any likleyhood of wash from passing boats, or rough weather, bouncing the
drive against the bottom.

Merry Christmas,
Brian

m...