zanderu

Default Aluminium hull, what does this picture show?

I've made this picture of the hull of an aluminium ship:

http://www.inbeeld.com/hull.jpg

Is this normal? Is this just (multiple layers) of bad paint? Is this
aluminium in bad shape?

How to tell without removing the paint?

TIA!

Zander
zanderu AT inbeeld.com
Joe Blizzard

"zanderu" wrote
http://www.inbeeld.com/hull.jpg
Is this normal?

Depends on your view of "normal." (Looks sub-par to me.) Of course, it's a
little hard to say much without knowing the scale of the image. Is that an
extreme close up, a few square feet, or what?

Is this just (multiple layers) of bad paint?

Could be bad paint. If you get blisters or peels and don't feather them out
before applying a new coat, you can get an effect that looks like that.

Is this aluminium in bad shape?
How to tell without removing the paint?

http://www.fakecrap.com/products/xray_specs.html

zanderu

Joe Blizzard wrote:
"zanderu" wrote

http://www.inbeeld.com/hull.jpg
Is this normal?

Depends on your view of "normal." (Looks sub-par to me.) Of course, it's a
little hard to say much without knowing the scale of the image. Is that an
extreme close up, a few square feet, or what?

Sorry about that, the image as shown would be around 60cm = approx. 2
feet diagonally across in reality.

Would blistering affect the aluminium or is it mostly estethics?

I hope it does not sounds dumb but I was thinking aluminium would be
very hard to oxidate even in salty water, that's why I don't understand
the blistering. Esp. sinc, the picture shown is of an area above the
waterline.

Zander
zanderu AT inbeeld.com
Joe Blizzard

"zanderu" wrote
the picture shown is of an area above the waterline.

Probably just a bad paint job then. I'm no expert, though, so don't put too
much stock into my advice: I drive a little plastic boat and pretty much all
I know on the subject has to do with my aluminum outdrive.

Matt Lang

zanderu wrote in message ...
Joe Blizzard wrote:
"zanderu" wrote

http://www.inbeeld.com/hull.jpg
Is this normal?

Depends on your view of "normal." (Looks sub-par to me.) Of course, it's a
little hard to say much without knowing the scale of the image. Is that an
extreme close up, a few square feet, or what?

Sorry about that, the image as shown would be around 60cm = approx. 2
feet diagonally across in reality.

Would blistering affect the aluminium or is it mostly estethics?

I hope it does not sounds dumb but I was thinking aluminium would be
very hard to oxidate even in salty water, that's why I don't understand
the blistering. Esp. sinc, the picture shown is of an area above the
waterline.

Zander
zanderu AT inbeeld.com

blistering paint on aluminum is often a sign of corrosion. check that
out before your hull is gone

Matt

rmcinnis

"zanderu" wrote in message

How to tell without removing the paint?

What is the situation here? Are you looking to buy this boat? How big of a
boat is it?

If you are not sure, the best thing you can do is to pay a professional
surveyor to take a look at it. If you are considering buying the boat, make
an offer with a contingency of an acceptable survey. If the seller accepts
the offer, then hire the surveyor to check it out. It is typical for a
survey to cost around $10 per foot of boat length. If it is a large boat
then you may also need to pay to have the boat hauled out of the water.

If the value of the boat is only a few thousand dollars then this might be
excessive. On the other hand, it can save you a bundle on a large cruiser
or other more expensive boat.

Rod

Matt Lang

"rmcinnis" wrote in message ...
"zanderu" wrote in message

How to tell without removing the paint?

What is the situation here? Are you looking to buy this boat? How big of a
boat is it?

If you are not sure, the best thing you can do is to pay a professional
surveyor to take a look at it. If you are considering buying the boat, make
an offer with a contingency of an acceptable survey. If the seller accepts
the offer, then hire the surveyor to check it out. It is typical for a
survey to cost around $10 per foot of boat length. If it is a large boat
then you may also need to pay to have the boat hauled out of the water.

you mean $100 per foot?

Matt
rmcinnis

"Matt Lang" wrote in message
om...

It is typical for a
survey to cost around $10 per foot of boat length. If it is a large boat
then you may also need to pay to have the boat hauled out of the water.

you mean $100 per foot?

Not in my area. $10 a foot is the going rate, for both haul out and survey.
So if you have a 36 foot boat, it will cost you about $360 to have the
travel lift haul it out and set it in the yard and another $360 to have a
surveyor look it over.

Rod

Gould 0738

Not in my area. $10 a foot is the going rate, for both haul out and survey.
So if you have a 36 foot boat, it will cost you about $360 to have the
travel lift haul it out and set it in the yard and another $360 to have a
surveyor look it over.

Rod

Those rates are typical in the Pac NW. Some of our surveys are slightly higher,
and our haulout rates are maybe $1-2 less sometimes, but it's not far off.