Gould 0738

Default Interesting boat, Part II

Here's the conclusion of that item about Ed Monk's original liveaboard yacht:

"In the years since we first became caretakers of this boat," said Steve,
"Diane has made her look really nice and I've made her work well. I think that
if we knew what we were actually getting into when we bought the boat, we
wouldn't have, but we enjoy sharing her with people. She's such a good looking
boat, we often notice that we can be moored next to a million-dollar yacht and
all the people passing by are ignoring that boat and looking at 'Nan.'"

When Steve says that Diane has made the boat look nice, he really means to say
that if Ed Monk were still with us he'd beam with pride at just how bristol
"Nan" appears and how original she remains. It's still 1934, in most respects,
on deck and in the various compartments. Several plaques are displayed just
above Ed Monk's old drawing space, commemorating Best in Show awards at classic
yacht regattas in Seattle and Victoria.
Diane Anderson has gone about the cosmetic restoration and preservation of
"Nan' with the benefit of considerable professional experience- she's a
professional designer specializing in yacht interiors and has worked closely
with some of the more prestigious builders in the Northwest.

Steve also has some professional advantages to assist him in making things
"work well" aboard "Nan." Steve is a professional marine surveyor, with Global
Marine Surveys, and is far better qualified than most boaters to set a high
standard for a boat and to know how to achieve it.

"We've done everything ourselves," said Steve. "And for two reasons. One is
cost, of course, and the other is that to get something done just the way you
want it to be it can be easier to do it yourself than to try to hire it out.
When we first bought the boat, the wiring was just dangerous. Originally, the
boat was 32-volts. Over the years, some of that wire had been reused for
110-volt circuits, some of it for 12-volt circuits, and there was no logical
routing. If a wire needed to go from one point to another, it was simply
stuffed through the closest hole, and sometimes with a jumble of other things.
While we maintained the original appearance, we did gut the old plumbing and
wiring and bring it up to modern standards."

We began our inspection of the boat in the forward compartment. Where most
boats would have a stateroom, "Nan" has a spectacular galley. There is plenty
of headroom in the galley, and it is a bright cheerful workplace. The bulkheads
and gunwales are painted in bright white yacht enamel. The overhead deck beams
are "open", and also painted out.
Ed Monk's original joinery is still in place on the starboard side of the
galley, where the original 1934 porcelain sink is mounted below two rows of
open shelving divided into crockery lockers. The drawers and lockers are of
generous proportion, larger than often found on a boat.

"We've been in some really rough water," remarked Diane, "and all of the dishes
stay put underway."

Most of the joinery is original on the port side, with the exception of the
final few feet where a Dickensen diesel cookstove has been installed. Steve
Henry very carefully duplicated the appearance of Ed Monk's original cabinetry,
and if he hadn't volunteered that fact that area around the stove had been
retrofitted few people would ever have suspected it. The dining table is on
centerline, butted against the forward bulkhead.
A matched pair of door tucked discreetly into the aft galley bulkhead, (below
the companionway steps from the salon), access a refrigerator and a freezer- a
concession to the modern age.

"Ed's wife, Blossom, told him that if he planned to move the family aboard a
boat he better build in a great big galley for her to cook in, so he did," said
Steve. "When we got the boat, this galley area looked a lot different. There
was pegboard on the ceiling. Apparently the stovepipe had fallen down and
scorched the ceiling at one point, so the previous owner just covered it with
pegboard. There were some Sears Roebuck "can" lights overhead, and we knew that
couldn't be the way that Ed built the boat. We took down the pegboard, and
finally got everything cleaned up. The galley works very well, there is more
than enough room for both of us to be down here cooking at the same time."

The helm is on centerline in the salon, and still appears much as it would have
when Ed Monk owned the boat. Hemry and Anderson left the original throttle and
shifter controls in place. A six-spoke teak wheel sits immediately behind a
large compass, and by some miracle the boat has survived all these decades
without anybody carving up the chart area or building in additional framing to
hang an array of electronics. A comfortable-looking couch is to starboard in
the salon, and a door conceals a ladder to the engine room on the port side.
The most impressive section of the salon is probably along the aft bulkhead,
where Ed Monk's drawing table and a very ornate, built in mahogany buffet and
liquor locker are located.

A quick detour down the ladder to the engine room reveals a space that is
totally uncluttered, well lit, and squeaky-clean. Steve installed a 120HP Ford
Lehman diesel engine, now believed to be at least the third engine to see
service aboard "Nan." She was gasoline powered when built. Steve has engineered
effective coupling between the original gear and throttle controls at the helm
and the cable actuated fittings on a modern engine and transmission.

Ed Monk's original SYC burgee is on display in the companionway aft of the
salon, along with a framed photo of Ed Monk and his brother Arthur. The
brothers posed in front of "Nan" as she sat on the ways ready for initial
launch in 1934. Some old documents permitting "Nan" to navigate in Puget Sound
during a "period of national emergency" (WWII) complete an interesting,
historical display.

Next aft is the stateroom where Ed Monk's two daughters slept. "This was
originally set up with upper and lower bunks," said Diane. "We changed that to
a double, because we needed to add a holding tank and the space under the
double bunk is where the tank is located. The master stateroom most aft has
single bunks on the opposite sides of the cabin, and Steve and I enjoy sleeping
close together so converting to double made a lot of sense."

Just aft of the stateroom with the double bunk is the head. A manual marine
toilet is set against the gunwale, with a leaded glass privacy window set just
below the open bean ceiling above. Diane has expertly and tastefully applied
striped wallpaper that resembles vertical battens, and the original light
fixture is still in use. "All the faucets and fixtures in the head are
original," said Diane, "only the floor covering and wallpaper have been changed
since the Monk family lived aboard her."

The aft stateroom has oversized singles built to port and starboard, with a
ladder to the aft deck hatch centered between. Lockers and drawers are built
into the bunk fixtures, and most, if not all, of the light fixtures could
easily be original. The aft stateroom cannot have changed significantly from
the 1930's, when Ed Monk would conclude a work day by walking down the
companionway, looking into the stateroom to check on his sleeping daughters,
and then continuing aft to climb into his bunk. Ed must have been pleased with
the boat he built as a home for his family, and it is almost certain he would
be pleased with the way she has been restored and maintained by Hemry and
Anderson.

"We've had two visits from Isabel Monk," said Steve. "The second was down at
Gig Harbor, just about the time we had finished most of the work. She brought
us a very special gift, this lantern that you see over the buffet in the salon.
Isabel told us that was the lantern that Ed would hang on the mast as an anchor
light. She said 'Dad would be so proud of what you kids have done with his
boat, I know he'd want you to have this.'"

Incredibly, Steve and Diane have decided to move ashore and have placed "Nan"
up for sale. She is represented by Port Gardner Yacht Sales in Everett,
(1-866-339-8833), and offered for $193,000. Not a bad figure, considering she's
irreplaceable at any price. One could do far worse than own a boat built by Ed
Monk for his personal use, then restored and preserved by a professional marine
surveyor and a talented interior designer.

al_thomason

Found what looks to be current photos at:
http://www.classicyacht.org/pnw/pnwgallery3.htm

-al-
Garth Almgren

Around 11/21/2004 10:20 AM, al_thomason wrote:

Found what looks to be current photos at:
http://www.classicyacht.org/pnw/pnwgallery3.htm

Hey, neat site! Along with several pictures at the bottom of page four
(S-Z), that site has a separate page dedicated entirely to the
restoration of my former English teacher's boat, the Zella C:
http://www.classicyacht.org/pnw/pnwgallery/zella_c.htm

They don't show much of the interior, but some incredible workmanship
went into her restoration.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing

I was a Mac26X owner EdGordonRN ASA 119 April 22nd 04 04:58 AM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
NEW Boat Profit Margins Konnie General 19 December 19th 03 04:57 AM