John R Weiss

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote...

I also have super lightweight
pogies/mambas...so coupled with something else thinner and with tacky grip
may be my goal? Thanks in advance...this group always has the best advice
as usual....Dan O

Let me be among the first to complain about your bringing up a paddling
question in a paddling newsgroup. I live in Florida so I have no idea
about paddling gloves, I just wanted to make sure you were severely
reprimanded.

I hate paddling with gloves, so I use neoprene pogies. They work just fine for
me in the Puget Sound!

For hunting, you can just slip out of the pogies, pick up the gun, and shoot!

Tinkerntom

Tinkerntom wrote:

Wilko has some good suggestions as well on his site.

I have been considering using some Gortex ski gloves. They shed water,
have a poly pro liner/insulation, that stays warm, even when wet.
Don't ice up. And wears better than neoprene. TnT
Steve Cramer

Dan O'Connell wrote:
This may be off topic (LOL) but does anyone have a favorite brand of very
cold water/airtemp paddling gloves. I bought a pair of Marmot
windproof/water resistant gloves this week..and froze the instant they got
wet. Is neoprene the best...etc? I also have super lightweight
pogies/mambas...so coupled with something else thinner and with tacky grip
may be my goal? Thanks in advance...this group always has the best advice
as usual....Dan O

Neoprene is the best stuff I've found. Those simulated leather palm
things get really cold really fast. I have a couple of pairs in 2mm and
3 mm thicknesses, depending on the temps. The key is to wear the
thinnest gloves possible to stay warm. Excess neoprene between your
hands and the paddle feels like paddling in boxing gloves; you can't get
good finesse on the paddle.

I have some Aleutian brand gloves from Bass Pro Shop that work pretty
well. I like some of the NRSs, too.

Or...really cheap and really warm: poly glove liners under dishwashing
gloves.

Steve

--
Steve Cramer
Athens, GA
rick etter

"Steve Cramer" wrote in message
news
Dan O'Connell wrote:
[...]

====================
I had a pair of neo-cons, I mean neoprenes that worked well. They were
fairly thick but they had a kind pre-bent grip to them so it was easy to
hold a paddle. I can't remember what kind they were, and haven't found the
same thing yet. I left them at take out. Worked great in cold weather. I
think I forgot them because they got covered in snow last day of last trip
last year. If you find them on the Black River in Quebec, let us know what
kind they were!

Steve

--
Steve Cramer
Athens, GA

Lynn Tegrity

I do most of my whitewater paddling in the winter so gloves are
important to me. I hate to say that the best pair of paddling gloves I
have found is in the hunting gear section of Walmart. The gloves are
neoprene and have a a rubber grip surface and are flexible enough to
allow a good grip on the paddle. Since paddling is my religion, gloves
play an important role in the worship services that I attend.

Lynn Tegrity

Dan O'Connell wrote:
This may be off topic (LOL) but does anyone have a favorite brand of very
cold water/airtemp paddling gloves. I bought a pair of Marmot
windproof/water resistant gloves this week..and froze the instant they got
wet. Is neoprene the best...etc? I also have super lightweight
pogies/mambas...so coupled with something else thinner and with tacky grip
may be my goal? Thanks in advance...this group always has the best advice
as usual....Dan O

Jjferrerio

I use NRS Mambas. A neoprene pogie that works very well. My hands have NEVER
been cold when paddling with these. I have neoprene gloves but if I have to
remove them for any reason they are pure hell to get back on when wet. My 2
cents.
Tinkerntom

"Dan O'Connell" wrote in message ink.net...
This may be off topic (LOL) but does anyone have a favorite brand of very
cold water/airtemp paddling gloves. I bought a pair of Marmot
windproof/water resistant gloves this week..and froze the instant they got
wet. Is neoprene the best...etc? I also have super lightweight
pogies/mambas...so coupled with something else thinner and with tacky grip
may be my goal? Thanks in advance...this group always has the best advice
as usual....Dan O

After reading all the post to this thread, after sleeping in, and
staying nice and warm, and cozy, and being throughly refreshed, having
stayed home from church this Sunday morning, I thought of a great
invention.

Connect a pair of NEW-gloves, by a couple of flexible hoses, to a
Snorkeling mouthpiece! The hoses could be run down the inside of each
sleeve, so they don't get tangled up in everything else. Then when you
want to warm your hands, you could just blow some of that hot-air that
is so obviously abundant in this paddle group, voila' warm hands!

The mouthpiece, would double as a mouthguard, to protect your teeth
from being bashed in the boneyard, although that would eliminate the
happy paddler smile with broken teeth and busted lip as well. So use
with caution if you want to be known as a paddler on sight.

Another benefit, if you go inverted in a wet exit, etc. you would just
have to raise your hands above water, and you would be able to get
some needed air when the time comes and there is no hot air left in
your burning lungs. You could also play games with your buddies by
laying in the riverbed with only your hands extended, then jump up and
surprise them like Rambo. This would require the optional valve near
the hands that would automatically close when your hand is drawn below
the water, or as the case may be, you are inverted and you can not get
both hands clear to the surface.

Isn't it amazing how creative the rested and happy mind is, but then
that is why I am called Tinkerntom aka KnesisKnosis, Life, Live it!

BTW NEW stands for Neo-Euro-Wantabees, TnT
Paul Skoczylas

"Dan O'Connell" wrote in message
nk.net...
This may be off topic (LOL) but does anyone have a favorite brand of very
cold water/airtemp paddling gloves. I bought a pair of Marmot
windproof/water resistant gloves this week..and froze the instant they got
wet. Is neoprene the best...etc? I also have super lightweight
pogies/mambas...so coupled with something else thinner and with tacky grip
may be my goal? Thanks in advance...this group always has the best advice
as usual....Dan O

NRS Toaster Mitts.

'Nuff Said.

-Paul

Wilko

"Paul Skoczylas" wrote in message news:gssod.176803$df2.33143@edtnps89...
"Dan O'Connell" wrote in message
nk.net...
This may be off topic (LOL) but does anyone have a favorite brand of very
cold water/airtemp paddling gloves. I bought a pair of Marmot
windproof/water resistant gloves this week..and froze the instant they got
wet. Is neoprene the best...etc? I also have super lightweight
pogies/mambas...so coupled with something else thinner and with tacky grip
may be my goal? Thanks in advance...this group always has the best advice
as usual....Dan O

NRS Toaster Mitts.

Yep, I second the paddling mittens!

From my site:

The problem with pogies is that they usually either require teeth or
the help of someone else to get your hands in them. If you do get your
hands in them easily, so will the water... Pogies are of no use when
you need to scout a rapid, as they stay attached to a paddle. I also
find that when I need to get my hands out to grab someone or
something, they get so cold so quickly that I lose some of the control
in that hand. It's also not easy to get your hand back into them if
you need to get your hand back in in the middle of a rapid.

I have a pair of Walmart neoprene hunting gloves, but they are only
used for when I handpaddle in the winter. The fingers are encased
seperately, keeping them less warm. The fingers cannot touch the
paddle, making you involuntarily grip your paddle harder, tiring your
fingers. If you use gloves that don't have pre-bent fingers, you're
also forcing your fingers to push against the neoprene even more,
trying to keep them around the paddle shaft. I also find that with
gloves I can't feel the buttons on my waterproof camera, which results
in pictures not being taken. Plenty of reason for me not to use gloves
when paddling with a normal paddle.

Pre bent open palm mittens circumvent the problems of both gloves as
well as pogies:

You keep all your fingers together, keeping them warmer. You keep in
direct touch with your paddle, keeping better control, and not having
to squeeze extra hard to keep a hold of your paddle. You get to keep
your hands warm, even if you go for a swim, lose your paddle or when
you're scouting a rapid. You don't have to fight against the straight
glove fingers keeping your fingers around the paddle shaft. It's also
easy to pull one or more of your fingers free of the end of the
mittens, so that taking pictures is rather easy.

Whatever you chose to go paddling with, make sure that you can still
find and use the panic loop of your spraydeck with them! BT Regular
David Mackintosh got very close to dying in the spring of 2002 when he
got stuck upside down in a nasty hole and he couldn't pull his
spraydeck with his surfer's mittens.

--
Wilko van den Bergh wilko(a t)dse(d o t)nl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe
Eiron

Dan O'Connell wrote:

This may be off topic (LOL) but does anyone have a favorite brand of very
cold water/airtemp paddling gloves. I bought a pair of Marmot
windproof/water resistant gloves this week..and froze the instant they got
wet. Is neoprene the best...etc? I also have super lightweight
pogies/mambas...so coupled with something else thinner and with tacky grip
may be my goal? Thanks in advance...this group always has the best advice
as usual....Dan O

Mine have a neoprene back and washleather palms/fingers.
They should be wet to work properly but are great in
freezing weather.

--
Eiron.