QL

I recently bid on three different four wheelers on Ebay. Each time I was
outbid in the last few seconds and then received a "2nd chance offer" from
each of these sellers which can only make me think that the seller was
bidding against me as long as I would continue to bid and then contacting me
as though the winning bidder had reneged. Hell!, I bought a new 2005
Rancher for only $500 more than a used 2004. Boats can still be bought at
a good price on Ebay but buyer beware.
BTW, the Honda dealer in Elkins W.Va sold me a 2005 Rancher for $4453 OTD,
which was $546 cheaper than I could get it in Texas. Since we were going to
WV to deer hunt anyway, we just picked it up there. so if you need a 4
wheeler.......
QL

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:51:52 -0500, "Spear Chucky"
wrote:

I thought the advent of online purchase was to find deals.

Shopping for new SCUBA stuff isn't paying off in savings.

For example, I purchased a AB Biller 48" speargun for $200.00 at Scuba

Quest
in Orlando and every place online it was considerably more. I lost the

tip
last time out and a replacement 'is' anywhere from $17.00 to $24.00

online.
Retail the tip is 19.95.

The same is true for cigars. I pay $82 w/tax for a box (25) of Hoyo de
Monterrey, double corona maduros. I've never seen them cheaper online

So what ever happened to the incentive to buy online?

Used to be you could actually have an honest auction on eBay too.

That's life.

Later,

Tom

P.Fritz

"QL" wrote in message news:atond.2$TG2.1@trnddc01...
I recently bid on three different four wheelers on Ebay. Each time I was
outbid in the last few seconds and then received a "2nd chance offer" from
each of these sellers which can only make me think that the seller was
bidding against me as long as I would continue to bid and then contacting
me
as though the winning bidder had reneged. Hell!, I bought a new 2005
Rancher for only $500 more than a used 2004. Boats can still be bought
at
a good price on Ebay but buyer beware.
BTW, the Honda dealer in Elkins W.Va sold me a 2005 Rancher for $4453 OTD,
which was $546 cheaper than I could get it in Texas. Since we were going
WV to deer hunt anyway, we just picked it up there. so if you need a 4
wheeler.......
QL

I've seen plenty of items bid up higher on ebay than you can buy directly
elsewhere online.

"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote in
message
wrote:

I thought the advent of online purchase was to find deals.

Shopping for new SCUBA stuff isn't paying off in savings.

For example, I purchased a AB Biller 48" speargun for $200.00 at Scuba

Quest
in Orlando and every place online it was considerably more. I lost the

tip
last time out and a replacement 'is' anywhere from $17.00 to $24.00

online.
Retail the tip is 19.95.

The same is true for cigars. I pay $82 w/tax for a box (25) of Hoyo de
Monterrey, double corona maduros. I've never seen them cheaper online

So what ever happened to the incentive to buy online?

Used to be you could actually have an honest auction on eBay too.

That's life.

Later,

Tom

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:39:50 GMT, "QL" wrote:

I recently bid on three different four wheelers on Ebay. Each time I was
outbid in the last few seconds and then received a "2nd chance offer" from
each of these sellers which can only make me think that the seller was
bidding against me as long as I would continue to bid and then contacting me
as though the winning bidder had reneged. Hell!, I bought a new 2005
Rancher for only $500 more than a used 2004. Boats can still be bought at
a good price on Ebay but buyer beware.

I know for a fact that this is a standard practice on eBay and can
introduce you to several folks who practice this on a regular basis.
I know a "purchaser" who has one of those quadruple bizzillion highest
quality buyer rating who hasn't bought anything from or on eBay in
three or four years.

Consider this. I bid on some red Cajun line, 8 lb test and I put a
price on it equal to what I can buy it from Bass Pro Shops plus
shipping and handling. The same person over bid against me raising
the price to a ridiculous level, won the "auction" and I get an email
from the seller saying he's willing to knock off a couple of bucks off
the highest bid - did I want the line? At twice the price (when
shipping/handling was included) of Bass Pro Shops.

Yeah right.

eBay was great for a while, but if you want to buy something, get it
on sale at a retailers web site or just go to a store - eBay sucks.

All the best,

Tom
--------------

"What the hell's the deal with this newsgroup...
is there a computer terminal in the day room of
some looney bin somewhere?"

Bilgeman - circa 2004
JimH

"QL" wrote in message news:atond.2$TG2.1@trnddc01...
I recently bid on three different four wheelers on Ebay. Each time I was
outbid in the last few seconds ..snip

Here is a neat little program to prevent that from happening.

http://hammertap.auctionstealer.com/home.cfm

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:09:41 -0500, "JimH" wrote:

"QL" wrote in message news:atond.2$TG2.1@trnddc01...
I recently bid on three different four wheelers on Ebay. Each time I was
outbid in the last few seconds ..snip

Here is a neat little program to prevent that from happening.

http://hammertap.auctionstealer.com/home.com

Which only goes to prove my point.

eBay sucks.

Later,

Tom

Greg

I buy lots of stuff on Ebay but I always look to see what a new one is before I
even look. I see lots of used stuff that ends up going for more than new and
new stuff that sells for more than just going to a web store and buying it. The
things that do sell cheaper on the net than in a store are PC parts. You will
still do better at a Office Depot type store if it is a promo item.
The trick on buying cheap on Ebay is to watch a guy who is selling lots of the
same thing. Bid low and wait until the week where everyone who wants one has
one. That is when you get the best deal. Just be careful on shipping!!!
Sometimes the shipping is more than the part is worth, even if you "won" it for
a penny.
Calif Bill

[...]

I heard on the radio EBAY has just clamped down on some big dealers that
were doing exactly that.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 03:47:27 GMT, "Calif Bill"

.. .
[...]

They are trying, but the problem is pandemic. All you need to do is
have a couple of your friends bid on things you put up.

The reason eBay is just now getting around to clamping down is that
it's hurting the bottom line - the overall amount of bidding has
slowed and thus, revenue has dropped.

Later,

Tom
Karl Denninger

In article ,
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 03:47:27 GMT, "Calif Bill"

. ..
[...]

Yep.

This is basically impossible to stop.

The other problem eBAY is having that has reached pandemic proportions is
deadbeats. Bidders who have no intention of paying, and never do pay.

eBAY makes you jump through hoops when this happens (and it happens a LOT)
to get your "final value fee" back, and if you screw up, you get screwed
(literally) out of the FVF. Even if you DON'T screw up they get your money
for close to a month - and the float on it - before they refund it.

That's a hell of a racket.

Bid rigging works to eBAY's ADVANTAGE if people actually buy on the second
chance offers, as their FVF collections are HIGHER - in some cases DOUBLE
or more what they would otherwise get.

They have zero economic incentive to actually stop it so long as people keep
using eBAY.

Karl Denninger ) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://www.spamcuda.net SPAM FREE mailboxes - FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME!
http://genesis3.blogspot.com Musings Of A Sentient Mind
Charles R. Kaiser

Spear Chucky wrote:

I thought the advent of online purchase was to find deals.

Shopping for new SCUBA stuff isn't paying off in savings.

For example, I purchased a AB Biller 48" speargun for $200.00 at Scuba Quest
in Orlando and every place online it was considerably more. I lost the tip
last time out and a replacement 'is' anywhere from $17.00 to $24.00 online.
Retail the tip is 19.95.

The same is true for cigars. I pay $82 w/tax for a box (25) of Hoyo de
Monterrey, double corona maduros. I've never seen them cheaper online

You are shopping in the wrong online stores. I have found several
examples of Biller spearguns for under $200.00 (the teak models seem to
be than the mahogany. BTW, eBay seems to have some pretty good deals on
brand new AB Biller models), and JRCigars.com has the HdM Double Corona
Maduros for only $67.25.

Google is your friend.

--
Charles R. Kaiser HOKC - Godtar - http://www.godtar.com
"There's two dates in time that they'll carve on your stone

Direct all incoming fire to:
44° 00' 43" N
79° 27' 06" W