DSK

Eisboch wrote:
No, I haven't been on board yet. They do allow it, but only in limited
areas.

I hope you get the opportunity. It's very cool, an eye opening
experience, and one that will bring you closer. One of the high points
of my life was when my father stood in the engine room of our ship as we
stood out to sea (only for a brief training exercise) and rang up full
speed.

... As to what he does, I'd rather not say, mainly because I am not
100 percent sure. I know he is attached to an air squadron that flies
mini versions of an AWAC type airplane.

One of these, I bet
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/e-2.htm
These are old planes, like the F-14... but also like the F-14 there is
nothing in the world to match them.

I don't think there is much public appreciation for the strategic "ace
in the hole" the U.S. has in our carrier battle groups. A single carrier
has more air power than most nations' entire air force. And that air
power can be projected several hundred miles inland. It's expensive, but
worth it IMHO.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:15:50 -0500, DSK wrote:

Eisboch wrote:
Like the rest of us, Doug is a little fuzzy in the memories. :-)
A Petty Officer First Class is an E-6. A second class petty officer is
an E-5.

Oops! You're right. Sorry... guess I need to go back, take a look at my
old uniform and play the stripe game...

BTW I don't mean to pry but am curious what your son does on the Truman.
I've been on carriers a few times, it's easy to get lost. Have you ever
visited him on board? That used to be quite common but maybe they
restrict things a bit more nowadays.

Maybe I've told this before, but I've actually landed on one. My
oldest boy is a Marine fighter jockey and arranged it with one of this
Navy buddies. He and I came aboard on a COD - it was a thrilling ride
out from shore to the carrier. The pilot let me sit in the observer
jump seat so I could see out the windscreen.

We went back on a helo. I really wanted to launch, but it was a fun
trip anyway.

Later,

Tom
Eisboch

DSK wrote:

One of these, I bet
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/e-2.htm

That's the one. VAW 126

Unbelievable capabilities.

Eisboch
JohnH

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:38:51 -0500, Eisboch
wrote:

DSK wrote:
Eisboch wrote:

Like the rest of us, Doug is a little fuzzy in the memories. :-)
A Petty Officer First Class is an E-6. A second class petty officer
is an E-5.

Oops! You're right. Sorry... guess I need to go back, take a look at my
old uniform and play the stripe game...

BTW I don't mean to pry but am curious what your son does on the Truman.
I've been on carriers a few times, it's easy to get lost. Have you ever
visited him on board? That used to be quite common but maybe they
restrict things a bit more nowadays.

Regards
Doug King

No, I haven't been on board yet. They do allow it, but only in limited
areas. As to what he does, I'd rather not say, mainly because I am not
100 percent sure. I know he is attached to an air squadron that flies
mini versions of an AWAC type airplane.

Eisboch

You gotta read some aircraft carrier novels. God, I love 'em!

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Eisboch

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

Maybe I've told this before, but I've actually landed on one. My
oldest boy is a Marine fighter jockey and arranged it with one of this
Navy buddies. He and I came aboard on a COD - it was a thrilling ride
out from shore to the carrier. The pilot let me sit in the observer
jump seat so I could see out the windscreen.

We went back on a helo. I really wanted to launch, but it was a fun
trip anyway.

Later,

Tom

Eisboch JR. launched off the Truman last June. The carrier was on a
training cruise and he had to go back to Norfolk for another school.
He launched in a twin engine turbo prop that they use to deliver mail.
He called me that night and was still excited about the whole thing.
0 to 145 mph in 2 seconds due to the catapult.

I'd give my left nut to do that.

Eisboch

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:19:02 -0500, Eisboch
wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

Maybe I've told this before, but I've actually landed on one. My
oldest boy is a Marine fighter jockey and arranged it with one of this
Navy buddies. He and I came aboard on a COD - it was a thrilling ride
out from shore to the carrier. The pilot let me sit in the observer
jump seat so I could see out the windscreen.

We went back on a helo. I really wanted to launch, but it was a fun
trip anyway.

Eisboch JR. launched off the Truman last June. The carrier was on a
training cruise and he had to go back to Norfolk for another school.
He launched in a twin engine turbo prop that they use to deliver mail.
He called me that night and was still excited about the whole thing.
0 to 145 mph in 2 seconds due to the catapult.

I'd give my left nut to do that.

I would have too, but the next plane off was long after they were
underway and my son had to get back ashore, so we hitched on a helo.

I forgot to mention, my ride was to the Roosevelt - CVN-71.

The thing that amazed me is just how BIG these things are. If you
stand on the bow and look stern, it just seems to fall off the
horizon. Amazing.

We did get to have lunch and dinner in Officer's country - it was true
in my day and it's still true - the freakin' food is first rate. I
must say that the Officers on board were really nice to an old grunt.

Later,

Tom

DSK

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
The thing that amazed me is just how BIG these things are. If you
stand on the bow and look stern, it just seems to fall off the
horizon. Amazing.

It's also incredible how big they look from the water... on a small boat
or another (inevitably smaller) ship.

But they shrink to looking very small indeed when you're approaching
from the air.

DSK

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:53:00 -0500, DSK wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
The thing that amazed me is just how BIG these things are. If you
stand on the bow and look stern, it just seems to fall off the
horizon. Amazing.

It's also incredible how big they look from the water... on a small boat
or another (inevitably smaller) ship.

But they shrink to looking very small indeed when you're approaching
from the air.

Before we went, my son told me to watch for two things when we were
landing. The first one was the optical illusion that you are speeding
up (speed transition) the closer you get to the ship and just how fast
it goes from model boat size to gigantic humongous size.

He was right on both counts. I can't really describe it in words - it
was like floating and floating a little faster and wham, all of a
sudden the BIG deck and you think your going a zillion miles an hour.

Going from about 90 knots to zero was pretty thrilling too. :)

Later,

Tom
JohnH

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

Ah! Now we know why Bush didn't take a helicopter!

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Gordon

You're welcome!

"JimH" wrote in message
My thanks to all you Veterans out there for your service to our Country.

Thank you!