Matt

Default Winterize, Frist time Fogging, need help specifics....

I am winterizing my boat (94 chaparral 350MAG 5.7L) for the first time
myself. I have a few specific questions regarding the fogging. How long
should i be spraying the fogging can into the Carb before it stalls out? I
haven't found any specific ariticles or guides on details of fogging. Also
is there any tips/pointers for doing this that i should be aware of, due to
the fact its my first time?

Thanks! ! !

Wayne.B

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:22:10 -0500, "Matt"
wrote:
I am winterizing my boat (94 chaparral 350MAG 5.7L) for the first time
myself. I have a few specific questions regarding the fogging. How long
should i be spraying the fogging can into the Carb before it stalls out? I
haven't found any specific ariticles or guides on details of fogging. Also
is there any tips/pointers for doing this that i should be aware of, due to
the fact its my first time?

=================================

Spray it in long enough that the engine begins to stumble and you are
getting some exhaust smoke. If it hasn't stalled by then, just shut
it down.

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

I am winterizing my boat (94 chaparral 350MAG 5.7L) for the first time
myself. I have a few specific questions regarding the fogging. How long
should i be spraying the fogging can into the Carb before it stalls out? I
haven't found any specific ariticles or guides on details of fogging. Also
is there any tips/pointers for doing this that i should be aware of, due to
the fact its my first time?

Keep spraying into the carb until you get heavy exhaust smoke, then
shut it down.

Later,

Tom
Matt Lang

wrote:

I am winterizing my boat (94 chaparral 350MAG 5.7L) for the first time
myself. I have a few specific questions regarding the fogging. How long
should i be spraying the fogging can into the Carb before it stalls out? I
haven't found any specific ariticles or guides on details of fogging. Also
is there any tips/pointers for doing this that i should be aware of, due to
the fact its my first time?

Keep spraying into the carb until you get heavy exhaust smoke, then
shut it down.

Later,

Tom

OT:

What are the opinions on doing this to a vehicle? I need to uninsure
my 4x4 over the winter and was wondering if it would be good or bad to
fog ithe motor. I am thinking it would destroy the cat. We are
talking about a Toyota 3l V6 EFI

Matt

Eisboch

My father-in-law, (now 79 years old) was an old school mechanic. For
years he "pickled" the Chrysler 318 engines in his old Uniflite by
running the engines while very slowly pouring about half a quart of
regular 30 weight engine oil into the carburetor. He would add the oil
very slowly until the exhaust was really smoking and then kill the ignition.

He also did this on car engines that were not going to be used for an
extended period of time.

I think I've told this story before, but the year I was discharged from
the Navy, he roped me into helping him get the boat ready for the
upcoming season. His boat was stored outside at a crowded marina, and
had several boats right around his, including a wooden one with it's bow
about 2 feet from my father-in-law's stern.

We spent the day cleaning and painting the bottom. The owner of the wood
boat behind us was busy painting the hull on his boat a nice bright
white. He finished up, waved goodbye to us and left.

My father-in-law decided it was time to see if the engines would fire
up. They did. He was in the cabin revving them up when I happened to
look towards the stern. You know the rest. It blew all the oil used to
pickle the engines all over the freshly painted hull of boat behind us.

We launched the next day and he moved to a new marina.

Eisboch
bowgus

Excellent story ... but yeah, every spring I start the boat up in the
laneway, and every spring I'm thinking ... geez I hope that's just the
fogging oil spattering all over ... and not the result of a seized/broken
ring :-)

"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

bowgus

Good luck stalling it ... same suggestion as the others, spray till it
smokes and shut it down. This year I tried something different. My engine's
carburated ... I installed a fuel shutoff earlier in the year ... so to
winterize, I shut off the fuel and ran the engine until it ran out of fuel
so the carb would be dry. I then removed all the spark plugs and sprayed the
oil directly into the cylinders, cranked the engine over (with spark
disabled) and sprayed again. Now, this won't fog the valves but it does
guarantee there's no fuel left in the carb ... opinions?

"Matt" wrote in message
I am winterizing my boat (94 chaparral 350MAG 5.7L) for the first time
myself. I have a few specific questions regarding the fogging. How long
should i be spraying the fogging can into the Carb before it stalls out?

haven't found any specific ariticles or guides on details of fogging.

Also
is there any tips/pointers for doing this that i should be aware of, due

the fact its my first time?

Thanks! ! !

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:43:13 -0600, "bowgus"
wrote:

Good luck stalling it ... same suggestion as the others, spray till it
smokes and shut it down. This year I tried something different. My engine's
carburated ... I installed a fuel shutoff earlier in the year ... so to
winterize, I shut off the fuel and ran the engine until it ran out of fuel
so the carb would be dry. I then removed all the spark plugs and sprayed the
oil directly into the cylinders, cranked the engine over (with spark
disabled) and sprayed again. Now, this won't fog the valves but it does
guarantee there's no fuel left in the carb ... opinions?

I have never drained a carb dry. What I normally do, is over treat
the fuel for winter with Sta-bil (not by much, maybe 25%), put a
little extra 2 cycle oil in the mix and run the lawnmower, trimmer,
etc for a few minutes to get the fuel into the carburetor. I do much
the same for my antiques also.

Running a carb dry seems counter-intuitive to me. With the fuel
stabilizer, you should have any problems and the various gaskets and
things don't dry out.

Live long and prosper,

Tom