Jude Douglas

Default Glass

I sure hope I don’t get a war of words going, but I would like get some
recommendations on which sheet material to use for our sliding main
hatch: polyacrylate (Plexiglas, Lucite, Acrylite, Perspex, etc.) or
polycarbonate (Lexan). I know Lexan scratches easily but it is very
impact resistant (falling winch handles or a whipping snap shackle). I
know Plexiglas is a bit cheaper than Lexan but it is not a concern for
such a small size of project. To reduce temperature expansion stresses
and drilling difficulties, I plan to just use a flat sheet with a
squishy bedding (silicone?) and a sort-of loose oak frame with a
retaining bracket.
Can anyone offer some suggestions as to which is a better choice
material?

Jude and Randall

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:24:25 -0400, Jude Douglas
wrote:

I sure hope I don’t get a war of words going, but I would like get some
recommendations on which sheet material to use for our sliding main
hatch: polyacrylate (Plexiglas, Lucite, Acrylite, Perspex, etc.) or
polycarbonate (Lexan). I know Lexan scratches easily but it is very
impact resistant (falling winch handles or a whipping snap shackle). I
know Plexiglas is a bit cheaper than Lexan but it is not a concern for
such a small size of project. To reduce temperature expansion stresses
and drilling difficulties, I plan to just use a flat sheet with a
squishy bedding (silicone?) and a sort-of loose oak frame with a
retaining bracket.
Can anyone offer some suggestions as to which is a better choice
material?

I would go with the polycarbonate.

I helped a friend last year with a Post restoration and the rear salon
hatch way was rebuilt with marine plywood sprayed with white epoxy.
He used 9034 version which is a abrasion coated Lexan. He also had
the Lexan tinted.

He basically built a frame, set the Lexan into it with plain old clear
RTV, built an over frame for the window and painted it.

Looks like a factory made fiberglass door - no joke.

And to date, I haven't seen any scratches.

Later,

Tom
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:06:50 -0400, Jude Douglas
wrote:

Thanks for the information. By the way what is RTV?

Sorry - force of habit. It's a high temp version of silicone seal. I
use RTV as a generic term.

Use silicone seal - a good grade should do it.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
Eisboch

wrote:

Thanks for the information. By the way what is RTV?

Sorry - force of habit. It's a high temp version of silicone seal. I
use RTV as a generic term.

Use silicone seal - a good grade should do it.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717

I didn't know what it meant either, although I've heard and been saying
"Silicon RTV" for years. So, off to Google land I went and learned:

RTV means Room Temperature Vulcanization. Any of Dow's Silicon goop
that cures at room temp is called RTV.

Eisboch

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

Thanks for the information. By the way what is RTV?

Sorry - force of habit. It's a high temp version of silicone seal. I
use RTV as a generic term.

Use silicone seal - a good grade should do it.

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717

I didn't know what it meant either, although I've heard and been saying
"Silicon RTV" for years. So, off to Google land I went and learned:

RTV means Room Temperature Vulcanization. Any of Dow's Silicon goop
that cures at room temp is called RTV.

I know the aircraft industry goes through cases of the stuff - it's
very handy in aircraft engine cowlings and what not.

I jsut figured it was high temp stuff - didn't know about the Room
Temp thingy.

Kewl.

Later,

Tom

"Beware the one legged man in a butt
kicking contest - he is there for a
reason."

Wun Hung Lo - date unknown

krj

[...]

What the heck is the acronym kewl?
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:30:49 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:58:02 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

I know the aircraft industry goes through cases of the stuff - it's
very handy in aircraft engine cowlings and what not.

Amen. Bear in mind that there are two methods of cure...

if it smells vinegarish (acetic acid) it isn't "aircraft grade" and is
corrosive to aluminum... otherwise it cures via ambient moisture and
is ok to play with aluminum.... or other metals prone to oxidation...

I'll be darned - I didn't know that.

Thanks.

TTFN,

Tom

"Bodies are for hookers and fat people."

Bender - "Futurama"
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:49:16 -0400, krj
wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

What the heck is the acronym kewl?

Short version:

William Gibson - The Father of Cyperpunk, started using misspellings
of similar sounding letter/word combinations. Such as kewl for cool,
Dewd for dude, etc. With the advent of "chat" rooms and IRC, it
became very common for these type of words to develop and appear.

Michael Stackpole also used similar word shadings in the "Shadow Run"
series and it caught on among the mIRC types.

One can trace these things back as far as the original railroad
telegraphers who used "shorts" to convey meanings using different
words - for instance the letter four for for combination. In Morse
(also American Telegraphy code) four appears as four dots and a dash
and the word for is .-./---/..-/.-. so if it were a text message, the
word for would be represented as ...-.

Aren't you glad you asked? :)

All the best,

Tom
--------------

"What the hell's the deal with this newsgroup...
is there a computer terminal in the day room of
some looney bin somewhere?"

Bilgeman - circa 2004

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 20:18:40 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 23:02:01 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:49:16 -0400, krj
wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

What the heck is the acronym kewl?

Short version:

William Gibson - The Father of Cyperpunk, started using misspellings
of similar sounding letter/word combinations. Such as kewl for cool,

Not to mention all of those cute young girls that actually pronounce
it that way!.... kinda Coooo--wall....

My two were into the Valley Girl thing.

Those were the dayz.... :)

All the best,