DanO

Default Barrier Coats

I am stripping my bottom paint this fall - actually I am having a highly
recommended media blaster do the job. The guy recommends a "coal-tar"
barrier coat that he sprays on over the DIY "roll-on" systems from Interlux,
Petitt, etc... since I really don't know the difference I would appreciate
anyone commenting on it. Thanks. -DanO

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:49:04 GMT, "DanO" wrote:

I am stripping my bottom paint this fall - actually I am having a highly
recommended media blaster do the job. The guy recommends a "coal-tar"
barrier coat that he sprays on over the DIY "roll-on" systems from Interlux,
Petitt, etc... since I really don't know the difference I would appreciate
anyone commenting on it. Thanks. -DanO

When I first started looking into this when I bought my Contender, I
stumbled across this URL

http://www.epoxyproducts.com/barrier4u.html

which was very helpful.

http://www.epoxyproducts.com/epoxypaint101.html

should help you decide.

Later,

Tom
Jon Smithe

It is a black tar like product. It can do a adequate job as a barrier coat,
but it is a bitch to prep the surface when it is time to repaint the bottom.
The tar clogs the sandpaper and it takes 10 times as long as it should to
prep the bottom.

I would not recommend anyone use it, when the epoxy barrier paints are so
easy to apply.

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:49:04 GMT, "DanO" wrote:

I am stripping my bottom paint this fall - actually I am having a highly
recommended media blaster do the job. The guy recommends a "coal-tar"
barrier coat that he sprays on over the DIY "roll-on" systems from
Interlux,
Petitt, etc... since I really don't know the difference I would
appreciate
anyone commenting on it. Thanks. -DanO

I don't know what a "coal-tar" barrier coat, but it doesn't sound like
anything Interlux would adhere to....

I'm not sure I would characterize the "roll-on" systems as DIY... if
that in any way implies that they are less than professional
chemicals.
--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/
Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where
Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.linksysnet.com Real Time
Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats
Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Jon Smithe

I was thinking about VC-Tar, it was a popular barrier coat used by sail
boats because it gave a nice slick finish. Once the bottom had to be
repainted it lost it appeal and people decided it was better to use epoxy
and then sand it smooth.

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:15:11 GMT, "Jon Smithe"
wrote:

It is a black tar like product. It can do a adequate job as a barrier
coat,
but it is a bitch to prep the surface when it is time to repaint the
bottom.
The tar clogs the sandpaper and it takes 10 times as long as it should to
prep the bottom.

I would not recommend anyone use it, when the epoxy barrier paints are so
easy to apply.

I reasoned that it was a tar like product, as well. However, it
appears that technology has also plasticized this substance.

see: http://www.simcocoatings.com/t-200.html

I don't see it recommended for fiberglass, however....
--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/
Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where
Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.linksysnet.com Real Time
Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats
Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

DanO

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

I don't know what a "coal-tar" barrier coat, but it doesn't sound like
anything Interlux would adhere to....

I'm not sure I would characterize the "roll-on" systems as DIY... if
that in any way implies that they are less than professional
chemicals.
--

I would consider Interlux and Petitt epoxy barrier coats to be DIY projects
and the product to be rolled on by paint roller.-Dan

DanO

"Jon Smithe" wrote in message
It is a black tar like product. It can do a adequate job as a barrier
coat, but it is a bitch to prep the surface when it is time to repaint the
bottom. The tar clogs the sandpaper and it takes 10 times as long as it
should to prep the bottom.

I would not recommend anyone use it, when the epoxy barrier paints are so
easy to apply.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I was thinking. -DanO

DanO

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
I reasoned that it was a tar like product, as well. However, it
appears that technology has also plasticized this substance.

see: http://www.simcocoatings.com/t-200.html

I don't see it recommended for fiberglass, however....

That's interesting information. The bottom guy that I am working with
offers it as a spray-on barrier coat. I had never heard of it before.-Dano

Paul Schilter

Harry,
Well if that's the case, we'll just have to tax the stuff more.
Paul

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

snipped
The guy recommends a "coal-tar" barrier coat that he sprays on over the
DIY "roll-on" systems from Interlux,
snipped

Sounds like a by-product of cigarette smoking...

Barrier Coating a fiberglass hull.... Courtney Thomas Boat Building 7 June 14th 04 01:34 AM
timing of 3 coats of expoxy/cloth? RG Boat Building 7 November 29th 03 03:53 PM
Bottom painting Parallax Cruising 23 November 23rd 03 01:31 AM
Hull form for the sound barrier! Sidney Greenstreet ASA 25 October 8th 03 05:40 AM
Barrier coat life expectancy JS Cruising 1 August 4th 03 06:06 AM