Jon Smithe

JimH,
I think Chuck might be out of the loop, and doesn't realize the magazines
sell these fluff pieces to anyone who wants to pay for them.

What I can't figure out is why he is so upset about such a common practice.

"JimH" wrote in message

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
It's a PR piece for a new product. "Articles" like this is very common
in
all boating magazines. Normally they agree to run so many ads if the
magazine agrees to run the piece.

You don't know a goddam thing about boats, and don't even begin to
insinuate
you know anything about boating magazines.

Pick up any issue of any boating magazine, and if it is reasonably
successful
you can go through the magazine and say, "Oh, look! Here's an ad for that
company or brand of boat that was featured in an article this month. Must
be
something fu'd going on here." Of course the fact that the same company
or
product may have advertised regularly for years means nothing....

Now count the dozens, scores, or in some of the largest publications the
*hundreds* of ads for companies that do not have articles appearing in
the
issue. Any explanation for those?

Add the publishing business to the list of things you need to learn more
about.

Undies in a knot tonight Chuck? Chill.

Jon Smithe

Gould,
I hate to tell you this, but you are the one uniformed. The question is why
are you so upset if your publisher asked you to write a "fluff" article. It
was a good "fluff" article, nothing to be ashamed of. It sounded like all
of the "reviews" in boating magazines.

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Undies in a knot tonight Chuck? Chill.

Not at all. The man of a thousand screen names presumed to declare what
the
item *really* was, and why it was written.
He was wrong on both counts, wrong about the way the business works, and
wrong
to run his mouth about a subject where he is so clearly underinformed.

Jon Smithe

Gould,
I have no problems about Boating Mags lack of real reporting. No one
expects them to honestly review any product. I was talking to someone who
reviewed boats and he told me if they really come across a piece of ****
boat, in which they can not find anything good to say about the boat, they
just won't review it. They don't want to do anything to **** off their
bread and butter.

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Did I say something to offend you? If so, I must have missed it.

I do know about Boating Mags and all magazines because I worked for a
marketing company and we used to "buy" these PR pieces all the time.

You presumed to declare a motivation behind the article. You were wrong.

You presumed to declare that there is an advertising deal in the works
between
my publisher and the battery company. You are wrong again. There is no
quid-pro-quo as you insisted.(The company that retails this product in
town
*does* advertise in my publisher's magazine, and all other regional
publications, and has done so every month for about 20 years. Odds are
good
that they will advertise for another 20 whether we ever mentioned their
name
outside of their ad space, or not. Our revenue from that account will not
increase, or decrease ten cents as a result of the interview).

When you run a specialty publication addressing a narrow field of
interest,
there will certainly be many instances when an article features a company
that
is also an advertiser. I suppose to be really uptight about it, we could
adopt
a policy that read,
"We will refuse to accept any advertising from your firm for one issue
prior
and two issues beyond the month any editorial regarding your company
appears."
Not likely to happen. We try not to be whores, but by the same token
there's no
point in being a self righteous martyr.

Jon Smithe

Tom,
What it would really read much more positive than that. Something along the
lines of:
The beautiful lines of the Ranger T-Top will protect you from UV rays while
you troll for those monster fish using the built in rod holders. The T-Top
utilizes a unique process that allows Ranger to keep the weight as low as
possible, an important consideration for anyone who tows his boat using the
family car.

The Ranger T-top is
undersized and didn't quite fit the center console properly causing
vibrations and their unwanted side effects" is translated into "The
Ranger T-top, while somewhat under engineered, looks good on the boat
and has four rod holders". :)

All the best,

Tom
--------------

"What the hell's the deal with this newsgroup...
is there a computer terminal in the day room of
some looney bin somewhere?"

Bilgeman - circa 2004

Wayne.B

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:49:07 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

My problem with boating and fishing mags is that they depend on the
ads for a living

Its worse than that. They also depend on the builders and dealers for
test boats since they can't afford to buy them at retail. If they
start making unfavorable comments, the supply of test boats will dry
up very quickly.

Wayne.B

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:49:07 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

I worked for a
year with the ARRL as a Technical Editor for their main magazine "QST"
and was the de-facto editor of "QEX" which was their heavy theory and
experimental magazine.

=============================

Interesting. Now I know where the "Short Wave Sportfishing" handle
comes from. One of the highlights of my ham career was working Doug
DeMaw on 80 CW while he was running one of his famous QRP rigs. That
was back in the early 70s when he was Tech Editor of QST.

Wayne.B

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:20:00 GMT, "Jon Smithe"
wrote:

I am surprised that no one told
Gould about it.

=================================

Chuck is a smart guy and he knows very well. His professional
connections however, require him to go cruising in "de nile" now and
then.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:58:52 GMT, "Jon Smithe"
wrote:

Tom,
What it would really read much more positive than that. Something along the
lines of:
The beautiful lines of the Ranger T-Top will protect you from UV rays while
you troll for those monster fish using the built in rod holders. The T-Top
utilizes a unique process that allows Ranger to keep the weight as low as
possible, an important consideration for anyone who tows his boat using the
family car.

In my experience, that would be considered an outright lie, but other
would be considered "truth".

Trust me on this. :)

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

I worked for a
year with the ARRL as a Technical Editor for their main magazine "QST"
and was the de-facto editor of "QEX" which was their heavy theory and
experimental magazine.

=============================

Interesting. Now I know where the "Short Wave Sportfishing" handle
comes from. One of the highlights of my ham career was working Doug
DeMaw on 80 CW while he was running one of his famous QRP rigs. That
was back in the early 70s when he was Tech Editor of QST.

Doug was an interesting individual - a creature of the times if you
will. Ever hear the story of the radio design that by all rights it
should never have worked? And most of the time didn't? He was a
master at it.

When Doug sent in something to QST, only the high mucky mucks were
allowed to fiddle with his articles. Us riff-raff weren't allowed to
question his musings. :)

I could tell you stories about DeMaw and the "Chicago Mafia" that ran
the league for a few years. :)

God, have I been a ham that long? Guess so. :)

All the best,

Tom