brad

Default Hull Deck Joint

There is a bead of sealant along side our toe rail to prevent the
water from seeping through the hull deck joint. I am assuming that
some day I will have to take the toe-rail off and re-bed the joint
with some bedding compound. Having never done this before I am looking
for recommendations on this unsettling task
tony thomas

You should never have to do that.
The hull and deck are joined in one of two ways depending on your
manufacturer.
1. Rivits
2. Fiberglassed together.
The rub rail is then rivited into place and the rubber is installed.
If you do get a leak, you can just recaulk where the leak is. No need to
remove the entire rub rail.

--
Tony
My Boats and Cars
"brad" wrote in message
om...
There is a bead of sealant along side our toe rail to prevent the
water from seeping through the hull deck joint. I am assuming that
some day I will have to take the toe-rail off and re-bed the joint
with some bedding compound. Having never done this before I am looking
for recommendations on this unsettling task

Gould 0738

What are you calling the "toe rail"?

Ordinarily, a toe rail runs around the perimeter of, and is affixed to the
deck.
What make/model of boat? That might help the group visualize the area about
which you are inquiring?

What are the materials involved? Teak?
Stainless? Plastic?

rmcinnis

"brad" wrote in message
om...
There is a bead of sealant along side our toe rail to prevent the
water from seeping through the hull deck joint. I am assuming that
some day I will have to take the toe-rail off and re-bed the joint
with some bedding compound. Having never done this before I am looking
for recommendations on this unsettling task

What kind of boat do you have, what material is the hull and deck, and how
old is it?

On all of the fiberglass boats that I have owned the deck had a lip that fit
over the edge of the hull. Any water on the deck would run off without
leaking into the hull.

The rub rail covers the hull and deck joint, and I have had problems where
water would fill up behind the rub rail rubber piece and then leak into the
hull through the bolt/rivit holes. I have also had the case where the deck
and hull started to separate a bit and then spray from the bow wave would
wash up the side of the hull, under the deck lip and flow into the hull.

If your toe rail is just decorative then I wouldn't remove it to re-bed it.

Rod