frank1492

Default Follow Up Question: Weak Battery with Two Dry Plates

Earlier I had reported that I was in the process of recharging a
battery that had been weak and I thought might have lost its water
prematurely. After a trickle charge of 24 hours, a hydrometer test
still seemed to reveal one weak cell (the five balls would rise to the
top, then drop back down. On other cells, only one ball would drop.)
The bad cell was not one of the originally dry ones. Very little
"gurgling" action was shown in the cell while charging.
I had the battery tested at the local Autozone. He put it
through a load test and proclaimed it to be in excellent condition.
(The voltage was over 12 volts.) He said the bad hydrometer reading
was probably due to imcompletely mixed acid and water.
The battery has not been put back into service, but before I
did, I thought I would ask the experts! Did the hydrometer test lie,
or is the cell really NG, in which case the AZ guy was wrong and
I'll have a future problem again. (Really can't imagine the cell would
be bad if the battery put out more than 12 volts under load.)
Once again, thanks so much for your help!
Frank

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:53:27 GMT, frank1492
wrote:

[...]

It's possible to have an incomplete mix, but highly unlikely.

I'd have it retested.at a different store or repair shop. With one
cell theoritically bad, it shoudl read marginal at best.

Later,

Tom
Gould 0738

I had the battery tested at the local Autozone. He put it
through a load test and proclaimed it to be in excellent condition.
(The voltage was over 12 volts.)

You took a battery off the charger, hauled it to Auto Zone, and the kid behind
the counter said it was OK because it showed over 12 volts?

You should be at 12.6-13.2 with a fully charged battery. One very weak cell
sounds like a distinct possibility. Most batteries "fail" when a single cell
goes bad.
That's why I now have batteries built from
individual, replaceable cells. When one bites the dust, you replace the cell-
not the whole works.
Harry Krause

Gould 0738 wrote:

That's why I now have built individual cells...from
individual, replaceable cells. When one bites the dust, you replace the cell-
not the whole works.

Watch it...there's an idiot here who will think you are talking about al
-Qaeda.

--
"...vice president (Cheney), I'm surprised to hear him talk about
records. When he was one of 435 members of the United States House, he

- Senator John Edwards, 10/05/04
Gould 0738

Really....well, who makes such a beastie (Tom asked because he is
always looking for new and interesting technology that he's never
heard of before)?

http://www.rollsbattery.com/
Short Wave Sportfishing

On 06 Oct 2004 23:08:20 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

Really....well, who makes such a beastie (Tom asked because he is
always looking for new and interesting technology that he's never
heard of before)?

http://www.rollsbattery.com/

How do they compare cost wise?

Later,

Tom
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653

rmcinnis

Really....well, who makes such a beastie (Tom asked because he is
always looking for new and interesting technology that he's never
heard of before)?

I see those a lot on very large batteries, often found on very large solar
panel arrays. They are really, really big, and really expensive. I can't
imagin replacing one at a time, however.

Rod

MikeG

In article , frank1492
@worldnet.att.net says...
[...]

Lets put it this way. As a battery charges it gives up some of it's
liquid in the form of gas. After some period of time that liquid has to
be replenished with distilled water.

In simple terms..........

Your charging system has a regulator that turns on and off the charging
current to the battery as needed to prevent over charging and excessive
fluid loss.

In one case, if the regulator goes bad the battery recessives constant
charging current and you lose fluid more rapidly then you should.

I've never had one fail the other way, no current to the battery that
is, but I suppose it could happen.

The next case is if you have a dead cell. These usually result from
derbies from the battery plates falling to the bottom of the battery and
shorting out a cell. While the battery may show the required voltage a
dead cell will cause a regulator to constantly provide charging current
to the battery and also result in a more rapid loss of fluid.

I'd be more inclined to trust a hydrometer that showed five out of six
cells as ok then the test done where ever. Now, if the hydrometer had
shown all cells as dead I'd be looking for a new one.

However, you can use the hydrometer to suck up and shoot the acid mix in
to and out of the suspect cell to "mix" the acid water and see what
happens. Another option is to put the battery back in and go out and
bounce the boat of a few wakes then retest with the hydrometer.

--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:48:26 -0400, MikeG
wrote:

In article , frank1492
says...
[...]

You've never had an alternator go bad on an engine?

Neophyte. :)

The next case is if you have a dead cell. These usually result from
derbies from the battery plates falling to the bottom of the battery and
shorting out a cell. While the battery may show the required voltage a
dead cell will cause a regulator to constantly provide charging current
to the battery and also result in a more rapid loss of fluid.

I'd be more inclined to trust a hydrometer that showed five out of six
cells as ok then the test done where ever. Now, if the hydrometer had
shown all cells as dead I'd be looking for a new one.

However, you can use the hydrometer to suck up and shoot the acid mix in
to and out of the suspect cell to "mix" the acid water and see what
happens. Another option is to put the battery back in and go out and
bounce the boat of a few wakes then retest with the hydrometer.

Good advice, but I'd be concerned about the levels of electrolyte.

I've had it happen to me - the electrolyte mix was way low in one cell
- improperly filled - and it didn't show up until a couple of years
later.

There isn't any reason for one cell to be low on electrolyte and the
others ok - it just doesn't settle that way.

All the best,

Tom

"What the hell's the deal with this newsgroup...
is there a computer terminal in the day room of
some looney bin somewhere?"

Bilgeman - circa 2004