Matt Lang

Default Fishfinder transducer bends down ...

Guys,

I feel a little bad to post boat related topics in a political
newsgroup, but what the heck .. lets give it a try

I mounted my Garmin 240 Blue transducer on the transom ... the problem
is that as soon as I go faster than about 25-30 miles and go in turns
and such the stupid thing will bend.

And it bends DOWN. It then sits at an about 30 degree angle pointing
under the boat, and not reading anything ..

I could see if it bends up .. but not down ...

I already tightened the little screw as much as possible but it still
does it.

Does anybody have an idea about what this is caused by and how to fix
it?

Matt
Short Wave Sportfishing

On 4 Oct 2004 15:09:41 -0700, (Matt Lang) wrote:

Guys,

I feel a little bad to post boat related topics in a political
newsgroup, but what the heck .. lets give it a try

I mounted my Garmin 240 Blue transducer on the transom ... the problem
is that as soon as I go faster than about 25-30 miles and go in turns
and such the stupid thing will bend.

And it bends DOWN. It then sits at an about 30 degree angle pointing
under the boat, and not reading anything ..

I could see if it bends up .. but not down ...

I already tightened the little screw as much as possible but it still
does it.

Does anybody have an idea about what this is caused by and how to fix
it?

If anything, the front of the transducer should be pointing up if it's
shooting under the boat with the rear of the transducer pointing down.

This may sound a little strange, but do you have the transducer
installed correctly on the mount? The rounded end is the front and
the square/blunt or oval end is the rear.

Believe it or not, I have seen a couple installed that way.

Assuming that it is installed correctly, then the only other
possibility is that you aren't getting proper water flow over and
around the transducer. It should be at least 18" away from the prop
wash and in relatively free water flow from the hull. You may have to
play with the height of the transducer to get the right height to
prevent the transducer from swiveling on it's mount.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
Matt Lang

Does anybody have an idea about what this is caused by and how to fix
it?

If anything, the front of the transducer should be pointing up if it's
shooting under the boat with the rear of the transducer pointing down.

Exaclty my though, but the f****** thing bends down.. I wonder how
this can even be. and its the same every time, so not just a fluke. I
am close to shooting this f****** thing.

This may sound a little strange, but do you have the transducer
installed correctly on the mount? The rounded end is the front and
the square/blunt or oval end is the rear.

Yeah its according to spec. it only fits one way unless you put it
upside down

Believe it or not, I have seen a couple installed that way.

Nothing surprises me

Assuming that it is installed correctly, then the only other
possibility is that you aren't getting proper water flow over and
around the transducer. It should be at least 18" away from the prop
wash and in relatively free water flow from the hull. You may have to
play with the height of the transducer to get the right height to
prevent the transducer from swiveling on it's mount.

I have a sportjet.. so no propwash anywhere to disturb the thing ...
bad part is I mounted it under the swimplatform and cant see it ...
gotta watch the water on the ohter side next time to see whats going
on there...

I have been playing with the height a lot and nothing seems to really
work. This bites.

Matt
BenC

(Matt Lang) wrote in message om...
[...]

the jet wash in reverse is probably the cause during trailering or
docking right before you recheck. it could also be backwash from the
front of the jet unit. try moving it further away from the keel line,
at least 2 feet. could also be loose ratchet mount on the transducer
itself.