Alan Parr

Default Newbie Navigation questions

I am interested in learning to navigate, but am wondering where to
start. Basic questions I have include:
- where can I buy dividers, compass and charts (e.g. St. Croix river
area),
- is there a recommended class (online or distance learning) for
navigation this winter, and
- in the long-term is there a certification for pilot or navigator
that is worth obtaining for cruising?

All input is appreciated, thank you.

Alan
Short Wave Sportfishing

On 28 Sep 2004 06:56:27 -0700, (Alan Parr) wrote:

I am interested in learning to navigate, but am wondering where to
start. Basic questions I have include:
- where can I buy dividers, compass and charts (e.g. St. Croix river
area),

Generally West Marine online, or any West Marine store can help.
I would read up a little first and see what makes you comfortable.
You might want to also look at Blue Water Navigation for books and
tools.

Personal Note: I'm a person who prefers using Nav triangles rather
than a parallel ruler - it's just easier for me. I would suggest that
you get a set of dividers that have a fine control thumb wheel in the
middle - much easier to use and you can get a pretty fine adjustment
with them. Purchase a set of triangles and a set of parallel rulers
and just return the one you don't like.

I would also get a long steel ruler - that helps a lot when learning
how to set up a course line and measure long lines of lat/long.

At least for me that is. :)

- is there a recommended class (online or distance learning) for
navigation this winter, and

United States Power Squadron does basic and advanced courses around
these parts (CT) as does the Coast Guard Auxillary. Their courses are
fairly basic, but you will be able to get a sense of how navigation is
accomplished and a basic idea of how to get from point A to point B.

- in the long-term is there a certification for pilot or navigator
that is worth obtaining for cruising?

Another good question.

It is worth it if you want to know how to do some of the more
difficult navigation problems, a deeper understanding of Colregs,
navigation rules and other bits and pieces of the waterman's world.
Even a basic OUPV (Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel) license
class (sometimes called the Six Pack or Captains license) will give
you some neat knowledge that you would have to dig to obtain.

One piece of advice I would give you is that you check out the OUPV
courses - some are just diploma mills - they teach the test they
themselves develop. Find one where you are actually going to get
some education.

Is it worth getting the license? Depends. The physicals, drug tests,
paperwork, etc, you eventually end up spending anywhere from $1,600 to
$2,000 obtaining the license. And if you plan on using the license,
remember that there about 20 bizllion Captains out there. :)

If you get a good course, it's great.

However, having said that, there really isn't much you can't learn by
yourself if you pay attention and do some reading and research. Some
good books a

A recent copy of the USCG Navigation Rules.

A copy of "The American Navigator" by Nathaniel Bowditch. (Minor
claim to fame here - I'm related to him). It has been seriously
updated over the years and it THE source of information about
navigation.

"The Boater's Bowditch" which is a terrific companion book to the
American Navigator" for folks to read through or to get a slightly
different slant on a problem. It's written in a very stilted and
formal style, but the information it contains is very good.

Those three will get you pretty much where you want to go.

I would purchase a "Chapman's" only as a last resort.

Good luck - have fun.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
Doug Kanter

"Alan Parr" wrote in message
om...
I am interested in learning to navigate, but am wondering where to
start. Basic questions I have include:

- where can I buy dividers, compass and charts (e.g. St. Croix river
area),

Online at www.westmarine.com or www.boatus.com (same company, actually -
the former owns the latter). The major diff is that if you walk into a West
Marine store, you can have a catalog for free. At BoatUS, they insult you by
charging you fourteen bucks for a catalog.

- is there a recommended class (online or distance learning) for
navigation this winter, and
- in the long-term is there a certification for pilot or navigator
that is worth obtaining for cruising?

Not sure where the St. Croix river is. But, if you've got a Coast Guard
station anywhere nearby, give them a call and ask about Power Squadron
classes. They're usually given at local high schools, fire halls, churches,
or other hideously overheated placed. Well worthwhile, though.

Doug Kanter

"Alan Parr" wrote in message
om...
I am interested in learning to navigate, but am wondering where to
start. Basic questions I have include:
- where can I buy dividers, compass and charts (e.g. St. Croix river
area),
- is there a recommended class (online or distance learning) for
navigation this winter, and
- in the long-term is there a certification for pilot or navigator
that is worth obtaining for cruising?

All input is appreciated, thank you.

Alan

......and I forgot to mention: Absolutely, positively get yourself the book
"Chapman Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat Handling", by Elbert S.
Maloney. Not easy to find in bookstores, but you can order it from
www.westmarine.com.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:43:50 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Alan Parr" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

ROTFL!!!!

I helped a friend with a Nav course last winter and it was held in a
Holiday Inn conference room.

On a Sunday.

(PRAISE JESUS!!!!)

With the Greater Hartford Nigerian Christian Evangelical Church
services being held three conference rooms down the hall.

(PRAISE JESUS!!!!)

With drums - BIG drums.

(PRAISE JESUS!!!!)

Not a drum set, but REAL African drums.

(PRAISE JESUS!!!!)

And what sounded like a Hammond B3.

(PRAISE JESUS!!!!)

With a Leslie.

(PRAISE JESUS!!!!)

And a band with guitars and four Marshall amps.

(PRAISE JESUS!!!!)

And a bass player.

(PRAISE JESUS!!!!)

And a preacher who made up for his lack of singing ability with a LOT
of enthusiasm.

(PRAISE JESUS!!!!)

Overheating wasn't the major problem. :)

(AMEN!!!!)

Later,

Tom
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:47:57 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Alan Parr" wrote in message
. com...
I am interested in learning to navigate, but am wondering where to
start. Basic questions I have include:
- where can I buy dividers, compass and charts (e.g. St. Croix river
area),
- is there a recommended class (online or distance learning) for
navigation this winter, and
- in the long-term is there a certification for pilot or navigator
that is worth obtaining for cruising?

All input is appreciated, thank you.

Alan

.....and I forgot to mention: Absolutely, positively get yourself the book
"Chapman Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat Handling", by Elbert S.
Maloney. Not easy to find in bookstores, but you can order it from
www.westmarine.com.

IDIOT!!!! NIMROD!!!! BOZO!!!! NUMB NUTS!!!!

Oh, wait, this is a boating thread.

Never mind - my bad. :)

Later,

Tom
Harry Krause

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:47:57 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Alan Parr" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

Bad indeed. Nimrod was a mighty hunter, among other attributes.

--
We today have a president of the United States who looks like he is the
son of Howdy Doody or Alfred E. Newman, who isn't smarter than either of

What, me worry?
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:59:57 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:47:57 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Alan Parr" wrote in message
e.com...
[...]

Well I'll be....er.....hornswoggled!!!

I never knew that.

Interesting read. Thanks Harry.

http://www.ldolphin.org/Nimrod.html

Later,

Tom
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653

JAXAshby

- where can I buy dividers, compass and charts (e.g. St. Croix river
area),

St Crois River? Best I can say is, go downstream until you hit a bridge, turn
right and that is Minnesota, turn left and it is Wisconsin.

seriously, if you really want a genuine nav course, go to any small airport
that gives flying lessons and sign for a nav course. you won't learn celestial
nav, because that went the way of the dodo bird in aviation about 60 years ago,
and in seagoing about 20 years ago. Sorta like button hooks and boots.
JAXAshby

Bad indeed. Nimrod was a mighty hunter, among other attributes.

what Nimrod hunted was human beings. A sadistic ******* he was too, but you
are right hoary, Nimrod was good at it.