Joe Blizzard

Default Knocked off a chunk of my outdrive

I hit a small floating branch on the water today. I saw it in time to yank
the throttle back, but not in time to miss it. It made a little thump,
nothing I haven't heard before, and since nothing seemed amiss I went on and
didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. When I got back home I found
that a piece of my cavitation plate is gone. You can see the damage he
http://users.adelphia.net/~blizzard3/boat/break.htm Is there any easy fix
for this sort of thing?

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Joe Blizzard :
I hit a small floating branch on the water today. I saw it in time to yank
the throttle back, but not in time to miss it. It made a little thump,
nothing I haven't heard before, and since nothing seemed amiss I went on and
didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. When I got back home I found
that a piece of my cavitation plate is gone. You can see the damage he
http://users.adelphia.net/~blizzard3/boat/break.htm Is there any easy fix
for this sort of thing?

Anyplace that does propeller repair and welding should be able to fix
it.. I'd guestimate the repair cost at 100-200 bucks.

Dan

--
"I don't like songs, music is just organised noise...and noise is poison
to the mind."

- Pop WILL Eat Itself, _This Is The Day_
Tony Thomas

Check propeller repair places. You will have to remove it.
By the way, if this had been an aluminum prop you would have tore the ears
off and never been able to get back home. Just for those who say a SS prop
will tear up your gears.

--
Tony
My Boats and Cars
"Joe Blizzard" wrote in message
I hit a small floating branch on the water today. I saw it in time to yank
the throttle back, but not in time to miss it. It made a little thump,
nothing I haven't heard before, and since nothing seemed amiss I went on
and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. When I got back home I
found that a piece of my cavitation plate is gone. You can see the damage
he http://users.adelphia.net/~blizzard3/boat/break.htm Is there any easy
fix for this sort of thing?

Joe Blizzard

"Tony Thomas" wrote
if this had been an aluminum prop you would have tore the ears off

What's weird is I might not have even known about the damage if it hadn't
been for the fact that the river is just starting to clear up from last
week's storms. I had a nice day out and when I got back to the dock I looked
down and noticed that I was starting to see more of the drive through the
muddy water and then it registered that something didn't look right. First
thing I did after seeing the damage was examine the prop. Not a mark on it.

mgg

You musta really been hauling to break off a chunk of the CP like that. My
first guess was that you hit it with the prop, and it threw it up to cause
the damage. If that was the case, I'd expect to see prop damage as well.

Good luck with the repair.

--Mike

"Joe Blizzard" wrote in message
"Tony Thomas" wrote
if this had been an aluminum prop you would have tore the ears off

What's weird is I might not have even known about the damage if it hadn't
been for the fact that the river is just starting to clear up from last
week's storms. I had a nice day out and when I got back to the dock I
looked down and noticed that I was starting to see more of the drive
through the muddy water and then it registered that something didn't look
right. First thing I did after seeing the damage was examine the prop. Not
a mark on it.

Tony Thomas

Thats one of the benefits of a SS prop. Takes a lot to damage one.

Chances are you won't notice any difference. I would go ahead and use it
for the rest of the year as it is. Then when you pull it out to winterize
get it fixed over the winter. Good time to have the outdrive serviced while
they have it down.

--
Tony
My Boats and Cars
"mgg" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Joe Blizzard

"Tony Thomas" wrote
Chances are you won't notice any difference. I would go ahead and use it
for the rest of the year as it is.

That's my plan. (The "rest of the year" here is only a couple more weeks.)
As I mentioned in my reply to Tom, I'm not seeing any noticeable performance
change. I'm a little concerned about the trim tab anode hanging out there
with half its bearing surface gone, but it seems secure enough.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:40:19 -0400, "Joe Blizzard"
wrote:

I hit a small floating branch on the water today. I saw it in time to yank
the throttle back, but not in time to miss it. It made a little thump,
nothing I haven't heard before, and since nothing seemed amiss I went on and
didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. When I got back home I found
that a piece of my cavitation plate is gone. You can see the damage he
http://users.adelphia.net/~blizzard3/boat/break.htm Is there any easy fix
for this sort of thing?

Kewl....well, maybe not, but.... :)

Any prop shop can do that for you, but you'll have to dismount the
drive first. Any decent shop can have that off and fixed within a
week or so.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's a good $250/300 to repair.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
Joe Blizzard

"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote
If I had to guess, I'd say it's a good $250/300 to repair.

Hmm. I think I like Marshall's estimate better.

I guess I'll check with West Virginia Marine and see if they can get it
repaired. There isn't a local shop around, but when I needed my prop
re-hubbed last year, WVM sent it to a shop in PA for a reasonable fee.

I took the boat out for another little spin this evening, just out of
curiosity, and I still can't tell any difference in performance. It gets on
plane about the same as before and top speed is about the same. Shouldn't I
notice something?

Stu

Shouldn't I
notice something?

Have you put it into a tight turn? Since it's an anti-cavitation plate, you
might notice the engine reving harder in a tight turn as the prop catches some
air. Other than that, you're probably okay.