Ernie

Default How Can This Be Checked Out???

To Clams Canino, RG, Gene Kearns and Lawrence James, thanks for suggestions.
The scope seems the way to go though who would have ten to fifteen foot
scope to view the channel? Does a plumber really one of those?

--
Ernie

Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.
A. Sachs

Lawrence James

Yea, plumbers have them. Some of them go a really long way, 100ft even.
They are just a tiny camera on the end and a monitor. Expensive though.
They use them to check out drains. I watched some guys run one through a
drain from a parking lot that ran under a building. It ran slow and they
were checking to see if it was crushed somewhere. Pretty cool if you're
into hardware :-)

"Ernie" wrote in message
To Clams Canino, RG, Gene Kearns and Lawrence James, thanks for

suggestions.
The scope seems the way to go though who would have ten to fifteen foot
scope to view the channel? Does a plumber really one of those?

--
Ernie

Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.
A. Sachs

RG

It seems like at least one respondent is concerned about putting any air
pressure into your Watertight/or/Cracked drain tube. How's about the
following then:

Get some clear plastic tubing ( Home Depot/Lowes, etc ) sized to fit the
openings of the drain tube. Cut the tubing into two sections. Tightly force
about four feet onto the aft-end opening of the tube. Tape the cut-off end
above the gunwale ("gunnel"). Then, force the other piece into the forward
end of the tube, and tape it's open end above the gunwale height in the
cabin area.

Pour water into one end until you see water rise in the opposite end of the
clear tubing. ( You have now made a water level, with your drain tube as the
middle section). Mark and watch the water level for a few hours.

If the water level stays intact... you have a watertight drain tube. If the
water level drops...it is going into the hull of the boat and you have a
problem, created by the boat builder or by the removal of the insulation.

regards,
RichG

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 02:35:22 GMT, "Ernie"
wrote:

To Clams Canino, RG, Gene Kearns and Lawrence James, thanks for

suggestions.
The scope seems the way to go though who would have ten to fifteen foot
scope to view the channel? Does a plumber really one of those?

It's unlikely a plumber would have a scope that small to go that far.

Maybe a proctologist. Mine felt like it went up 50 feet or so.

Ernie

Again thanks for help guys. All are worth investigating.
Now, suppose the channel is damaged how would suggest it be repaired and I
surely wouldn't want the guy that sold me the boat do it. He has damaged
everything they worked on since I bought the boat new last June. What
recourse does someone in this situation has?

"Ernie" wrote in message
To Clams Canino, RG, Gene Kearns and Lawrence James, thanks for

suggestions.
The scope seems the way to go though who would have ten to fifteen foot
scope to view the channel? Does a plumber really one of those?

--
Ernie

Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.
A. Sachs

Clams Canino

If it needs a repair - I'd think a hose would have to be run from end to
end.

Call the manufacturer - relate the problem - and explain that you don't want
Dennis the Menace working on (or touching) your boat any more. Ask them for
an alternative repair facility.

-W

"Ernie" wrote in message
Again thanks for help guys. All are worth investigating.
Now, suppose the channel is damaged how would suggest it be repaired and I
surely wouldn't want the guy that sold me the boat do it. He has damaged
everything they worked on since I bought the boat new last June. What
recourse does someone in this situation has?

RG

Hmmmm... repair a cracked tube without damaging the boat any more.

There is a company called "Insituform" http://www.insituform.com/
whose business it is to repair cracked underground pipes for utilities etc.
Obviously, they fix large piping, but one never knows how small a tubing
they may have worked on recently.

The process is something along the lines of inserting a flexible, resin
impregnated, tube of woven material into the target pipe;

In the Insituform® process, a resin-impregnated Insituform® tube is
installed into a damaged sewer. This process results in a seamless,
jointless "pipe-within-a-pipe" with a smooth, continuous inner surface which
usually increases flow capacity. We typically complete installations in a
single day, using robotic methods to restore active connections from within
the line.

I have no earthly idea if they have any process that can help you, but I'd
surely contact them to see if they can steer you in the right direction.
That's their business, .....fixing cracked piping. Your problem may be the
size of your piping and the costs of their services.
Doesn't hurt to ask.
RichG

"Ernie" wrote in message
To Clams Canino, RG, Gene Kearns and Lawrence James, thanks for

suggestions.
The scope seems the way to go though who would have ten to fifteen foot
scope to view the channel? Does a plumber really one of those?

--
Ernie

Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.
A. Sachs

Maynard G. Krebbs

wrote:

To Clams Canino, RG, Gene Kearns and Lawrence James, thanks for suggestions.
The scope seems the way to go though who would have ten to fifteen foot
scope to view the channel? Does a plumber really one of those?

Not just plumbers but a local drain-cleaning Co uses them to show the
customer what theya are paying to remove.
Mark E. Williams
Calif Bill

"WaIIy" wrote in message

wrote:

To Clams Canino, RG, Gene Kearns and Lawrence James, thanks for

suggestions.
The scope seems the way to go though who would have ten to fifteen foot
scope to view the channel? Does a plumber really one of those?

Not just plumbers but a local drain-cleaning Co uses them to show the
customer what theya are paying to remove.
Mark E. Williams

20 ft in a 1 inch ID pipe?

Not likely

Why? Electricians pull wire through 1" conduit all the time and a camera is
small.