noah

Default Freighter STELLAMARE sinks at Port of Albany

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:35:39 GMT, "Floyd in Tampa"
wrote:

At a news conference today, a spokesman for Jumbo Shipping stated that
the crew was "highly experienced" in heavy lift. The Coast Guard is
still interviewing the remaining crew, by means of Russian
interpreters.

The Hudson River is closed to all traffic from a point one mile below
the port to one mile above, which effectively means all traffic above
the southern blockade.

Authorities have stated that they may allow "critical" shipping into
the port, such as heating oil and gasoline supplies.

The heavy salvage barges enroute from NYC are stalled on the river due
to heavy fog. The area went from temperatures in the 20's to 50°F.
and heavy rain today, causing very heavy fog along the icy river.

For those not in the area, two good sources of info are timesunion.com
and wten.com.
Regards,
noah

********************
Off-topic posting is a bit like farting in a house of worship.
Only children, the arrogant, or the ignorant, can truly enjoy it.
Only the arrogant and the ignorant insist on it.

To email me, remove the "OT-" from OT-wrecked.boats.noah.
....as you were. )
Don White

Some dramatic photos here.
The ship looked in very good shape...a lot better than some of the derelict
freighters that slip into my home port time to time.

Wayne.B wrote in message
On 11 Dec 2003 01:17:44 GMT, ojunk (BUDATLITHO)
wrote:

For a pic of the vessel (in the background)
see
http://www.uscg.mil/USCG.shtm

===============================

THe Albany Times Union newspaper has a good sequence of photos he

http://www.timesunion.com/specialreports/stellamare/

noah

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 01:37:34 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

Some dramatic photos here.
The ship looked in very good shape...a lot better than some of the derelict
freighters that slip into my home port time to time.

I noticed that, as well.

From a personal "look-see", and all the photos, this ship is (was) in
excellent condition.

It may be weeks before she's raised, and sent home, or whever, for
refitting. The Hudson is an estuary up to the Troy Dam, but the salt
is minimal at this location.

There is a general sense of sadness for the three missing crew,
presumed dead, that hovers over the whole scene.
Regards,
noah