BoatBanter.com

-   -   Problems with ethanol in fuel (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/23013-problems-ethanol-fuel.html)

modervador September 28th 04 10:24 PM

(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...
"octane", a physical fact, and
"octane rating", a concept, are not hardly the same thing.

That is just what I implied, and that is exactly why looking up the
chemical makeup of octane will not tell you how much oxygen is in
gasoline.

So for the benefit of others less educated, do you know the octane
rating of normal octane?

%mod%

(modervador)
Date: 9/27/2004 1:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time
(JAXAshby) wrote in message

do a google (if you are capable) on the chemical makeup of octane and see

how
many oxygen atoms you find.

Or you could look up the octane rating of methanol (about 100 on the
(R+M)/2 scale) and its chemical formula (CH3OH) and note that a liquid
fuel with a high octane rating can have as many oxygens as carbons.

The octane number on the pump does not tell you how much "real octane"
is in the gasoline. Extra credit exercise: look up octane numbers for
"normal octane", "normal heptane" and "iso-octane" (a.k.a.
2,2,4-trimethyl pentane).

%mod%

JAXAshby September 29th 04 01:38 AM

mod, go away.

Subject: Problems with ethanol in fuel

modervador September 29th 04 02:58 PM

jaxashby tells the world that his contribution to this ng is the same
as the octane rating of normal octane, that is, less than zero.

(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...
mod, go away.

From:
(modervador)

JAXAshby September 30th 04 01:41 AM

the octane rating of normal octane, ... is, less than zero.

wtf???

modervador September 30th 04 05:21 PM

(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...
the octane rating of normal octane, ... is, less than zero.

wtf???

That is correct. Less than zero. Less than the rating assigned to
normal heptane.

I gave you a big hint when I said to look up octane numbers for
"normal octane", "normal heptane" and "iso-octane" (a.k.a.
2,2,4-trimethyl pentane).

Here's another hint (in form of questions): which is better as diesel
fuel, octane or cetane? Which has higher octane number, heptane or
propane? Can we make any generalizations about long vs. short chain
alkanes and their branched isomers?

%mod%

JAXAshby October 1st 04 01:52 AM

yo-yo, octane has -- be definition -- an octane rating of 100. check it out.

(modervador)

modervador October 1st 04 01:04 PM

(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...
yo-yo, octane has -- be definition -- an octane rating of 100. check it out.

I said "the octane rating of normal octane, ... is, less than zero."
And I begged you a second time to look up the octane rating of
iso-octane.

Iso-octane and normal octane are not the same length. The octane
rating scale is based on 0 for normal heptane, 100 for iso-octane
(2,2,4 trimethyl pentane). On that scale, normal octane scores less
than normal heptane, less than zero.

%mod%

(modervador)

JAXAshby October 1st 04 01:09 PM

odor, I ain't gonna check out anything you say. you have already shown
yourself to be a fraud with your ficitional statement that alcohol in small
amounts added to gasoline increases the octane rating by substantial amounts,
and the EPA required gas companies add alcohol to gas because carb's engines
run better at engine startup and thus the EPA saves the ass of automobile
companies once again.

other readers, please note odor's fraud address, the same address as used by a
couple dozen frauds here.

(modervador)
Date: 10/1/2004 8:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time