AK

Default Trailer Back-Up Aid

I have a trailer that cannot be seen while backing it up to retreive my boat
becasue the tailgate of my truck to to high. The trailer is to narrow to be
seen in the mirrors.

I saw a boat trailer that had a pop up flag on a spring loaded arm which
popped up when the boat was offloaded and which when the boat hull ran over
it on trailering. Since it pops up when the boat is off the trailer, it can
be easily seen when backing up.

Does anybody know where I can find such a thing or what it is called?

Thanks
AK

del cecchi

"AK" wrote in message
I have a trailer that cannot be seen while backing it up to retreive

my boat
becasue the tailgate of my truck to to high. The trailer is to narrow

to be
seen in the mirrors.

I saw a boat trailer that had a pop up flag on a spring loaded arm

which
popped up when the boat was offloaded and which when the boat hull ran

over
it on trailering. Since it pops up when the boat is off the trailer,

it can
be easily seen when backing up.

Does anybody know where I can find such a thing or what it is called?

Thanks
AK

Can't you put the tail gate down? Or make one of the flag things out
of those flags that they put on kid's bicycles, that come on a long
fiberglass stick. Just drill a hole in the trailer and stick it in. It
won't fold automatically but it will do the job.

del cecchi

rmcinnis

"AK" wrote in message
I have a trailer that cannot be seen while backing it up to retreive my

boat
becasue the tailgate of my truck to to high. The trailer is to narrow to

be
seen in the mirrors.

Why not kill two birds with one stone? Install a pair of guide poles on the
trailer. They will help you guide the boat onto the trailer and provide a
taller point on the empty trailer that you might be able to see over the
tailgate.

Of course,I also second just lowering the tailgate, assuming it doesn't hit
the bow post.

Rod

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach rmcinnis :

Why not kill two birds with one stone? Install a pair of guide poles on the
trailer. They will help you guide the boat onto the trailer and provide a
taller point on the empty trailer that you might be able to see over the
tailgate.

Also, you can mount the taillight on top so they are more visible to other
drivers, and do not get submerged when you launch.

Unfortunately, they do not fit my particular trailer configuration. To
help back down my unloaded trailer, I bought a 3M Vangard fresnel lens,
which sticks by static cling to the back window of my Suburban. You can
buy them in places that sell RV equipment. I don't think they will help in
this person's application, because sticking one on the back window of a
pickup wouldn't really improve the field of view.

Dan

-- Douglas Adams

Andrew

I'll be installing two plastic posts on my trailer. This way it'll be
easier to back up and I'll be able to line up the boat to the underwater
trailer much easier.

AK wrote:
I have a trailer that cannot be seen while backing it up to retreive my boat
becasue the tailgate of my truck to to high. The trailer is to narrow to be
seen in the mirrors.

I saw a boat trailer that had a pop up flag on a spring loaded arm which
popped up when the boat was offloaded and which when the boat hull ran over
it on trailering. Since it pops up when the boat is off the trailer, it can
be easily seen when backing up.

Does anybody know where I can find such a thing or what it is called?

Thanks
AK

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 02:27:16 GMT, "AK" wrote:

I have a trailer that cannot be seen while backing it up to retreive my boat
becasue the tailgate of my truck to to high. The trailer is to narrow to be
seen in the mirrors.

I saw a boat trailer that had a pop up flag on a spring loaded arm which
popped up when the boat was offloaded and which when the boat hull ran over
it on trailering. Since it pops up when the boat is off the trailer, it can
be easily seen when backing up.

Does anybody know where I can find such a thing or what it is called?

No, but I'm curious.

I have a 25 foot trailer that I can't see when I down the ramp to
recover my Ranger. I put the tailgate down.

Is there a reason you can't do that?

Later,

Tom
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
basskisser

"Calif Bill" wrote in message link.net...
I have seen ads for flags you place magnetically on the hitch and the
trailer coupler.
Bill

Now, how would that help him back the trailer back down the ramp to
retrieve the boat? You KNOW where the coupler is, you don't know where
the rest of the trailer is.
Butch Davis

OK, agree that lowering tailgate (assuming you have that type of rear access
on the burban) installing the white boat guides at the rear trailer corners
and raising the trailer tail lights are all good things. But, have you
considered trailering mirrors? They are very helpful to me as I can adjust
the mirrors to the point where I can see the triler tires at all times.
I've learned that dunking the tires to about the halfway mark on the fenders
is about perfect for launching or power loading.

Butch
[...]

Doug Kanter

"rmcinnis" wrote in message

"AK" wrote in message
I have a trailer that cannot be seen while backing it up to retreive my

boat
becasue the tailgate of my truck to to high. The trailer is to narrow to

be
seen in the mirrors.

Why not kill two birds with one stone? Install a pair of guide poles on

the
trailer. They will help you guide the boat onto the trailer and provide a
taller point on the empty trailer that you might be able to see over the
tailgate.

Of course,I also second just lowering the tailgate, assuming it doesn't

hit
the bow post.

Rod

Maybe he's got a hard tonneau cover. That's MY problem. Before installing
the cover, putting down the tailgate solved my problem completely. But, I
need the cover or there's noplace to store all the fishing tackle while
travelling. So, I had a choice: Take too long to get the trailer into the
water straight (with tonneau cover), or have fishing tackle stolen on a
regular basis.

I ended up with a set of guide posts from Cabela's (www.cabelas.com). As you
said, they also help with getting the boat on the trailer, especially when
I'm alone and there's a stiff wind arguing with me. One issue with them (and
probably others): They attach by clamping onto the top & bottom of the
trailer's beams. My trailer's beams are U-shaped, not a complete box shape.
In other words, the open side of the U faces inward. The clamps squeeze on
the top & bottom, and in order to keep the posts from slipping out of
adjustment, I had to crank extremely tight on the bolts. The result was that
the trailer's beams began to bend. (Imagine the letter U, with the sides
beginning to squeeze toward each other). I'm heading to a machine shop later
this week to have a couple of aluminum blocks made, to fit inside the U and
give the clamps something they can squeeze on without crushing the trailer.

Other than that, the posts are great. The metal part goes about halfway up
the side of the boat. Onto those, you stick these very rugged PVC pipes
which extend upward another few feet. VERY visible, even at a dark ramp.