Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 02:27:16 GMT, "AK" wrote:

I have a trailer that cannot be seen while backing it up to retreive my boat
becasue the tailgate of my truck to to high. The trailer is to narrow to be
seen in the mirrors.

I saw a boat trailer that had a pop up flag on a spring loaded arm which
popped up when the boat was offloaded and which when the boat hull ran over
it on trailering. Since it pops up when the boat is off the trailer, it can
be easily seen when backing up.

Does anybody know where I can find such a thing or what it is called?

No, but I'm curious.

I have a 25 foot trailer that I can't see when I down the ramp to
recover my Ranger. I put the tailgate down.

Is there a reason you can't do that?

Later,

Tom
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
Butch Davis

OK, agree that lowering tailgate (assuming you have that type of rear access
on the burban) installing the white boat guides at the rear trailer corners
and raising the trailer tail lights are all good things. But, have you
considered trailering mirrors? They are very helpful to me as I can adjust
the mirrors to the point where I can see the triler tires at all times.
I've learned that dunking the tires to about the halfway mark on the fenders
is about perfect for launching or power loading.

Butch
[...]

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:11:27 GMT, "Butch Davis"
wrote:

OK, agree that lowering tailgate (assuming you have that type of rear access
on the burban) installing the white boat guides at the rear trailer corners
and raising the trailer tail lights are all good things. But, have you
considered trailering mirrors? They are very helpful to me as I can adjust
the mirrors to the point where I can see the triler tires at all times.
I've learned that dunking the tires to about the halfway mark on the fenders
is about perfect for launching or power loading.

Yes I have.

And I haven't put them on because they are freakin' ugly. :)

Although your point is well taken.

Later,

Tom
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
Doug Kanter

wrote:

OK, agree that lowering tailgate (assuming you have that type of rear

access
on the burban) installing the white boat guides at the rear trailer

corners
and raising the trailer tail lights are all good things. But, have you
considered trailering mirrors? They are very helpful to me as I can

adjust
the mirrors to the point where I can see the triler tires at all times.
I've learned that dunking the tires to about the halfway mark on the

fenders
is about perfect for launching or power loading.

Yes I have.

And I haven't put them on because they are freakin' ugly. :)

They also make backing into the garage into an interesting experience,
especially if you only have 1/64" clearance on either side before
demolishing the pegboard holding all the shovels & rakes. :-) Fortunately,
with the side markers I have, the white PVC pipes lift right off the metal
base posts, which gains me an extra 4" on either side. Sometimes the captain
even remembers to remove the posts. :-)

Calif Bill

wrote:

[...]

Go down to a truck supply place and buy some electric towing mirrors. They
retrofit any truck with electric adjustable mirrors, I think. My 04
Silverado came with the optional towing mirrors and I just move the switch
and they extend out about another 10"

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 03:54:38 GMT, "Calif Bill"

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I'll do that - thanks for the tip.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
David Hall

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 02:27:16 GMT, "AK" wrote:

I have a trailer that cannot be seen while backing it up to retreive my boat
becasue the tailgate of my truck to to high. The trailer is to narrow to be
seen in the mirrors.

I saw a boat trailer that had a pop up flag on a spring loaded arm which
popped up when the boat was offloaded and which when the boat hull ran over
it on trailering. Since it pops up when the boat is off the trailer, it can
be easily seen when backing up.

Does anybody know where I can find such a thing or what it is called?

No, but I'm curious.

I have a 25 foot trailer that I can't see when I down the ramp to
recover my Ranger. I put the tailgate down.

Is there a reason you can't do that?

Later,

I don't know about the OP, but my bed cover (tonnau?)is still in the
way even when the tailgate is down. With my soft cover I could unsnap
it and roll it up (a real bear to re-snap when cold), but if he has a
hard cover that option is gone. The guide posts is the best solution
if possible, but mounting one of those fiberglass rods with a flag on
a spring hinge and then to the back of the trailer wouldn't be too
hard. Hinges would be available at Home Depot in the gate hardware
section.
Short Wave Sportfishing

On 21 Sep 2004 08:43:02 -0700, (David Hall)
wrote:

[...]

Good point - didn't think of that.

Then again, why would you have a pickup truck then. I mean, like how
do you put stuff in the bed? :)

Seriously, I use my truck for just more than towing my Ranger so a bed
cover or cap isn't a good idea.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
Doug Kanter

wrote:

[...]

If his is anything like mine (a Versacover), it's easy to remove when the
bed is needed for big things. The cover weighs about 40 lbs, so after
releasing the various fasteners, I can slide it off without help, although
with a helper, it's less likely to scratch the rails.

I bought the cover because my boat has absolutely zero storage lockers.
Unless you live in a fantasy world, it's obvious if you were parked at a
motel, restaurant or campsite, fishing tackle or other valuables would
eventually be stolen. And, putting them in the truck itself makes no sense,
since they're clearly visible. Finally, I often carry passengers in all 4
seating positions, so rain-sensitive luggage needed to go someplace. Without
a cover, the bed's useless in that regard.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:12:31 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Good point.

Later,