Harry Krause

Default Downwind Floppy Genoas?

MadDogDave wrote:
K Smith wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
Hi,
OK, here's a boating-related question (Most Rebs and Dems will

have NO
IDEA what I'm talking about, but what the hell...):

What's the Story on Cruising Spinnakers (I like to call them

"downwind
floppy genoas, because they act more like gennys than true spinnakers)?
They used to be All The Rage, now I rarely see one.

I'm getting a new genny for Far Cove in the near future, so was
wondering if a C.S. was worth the cost.

Yes we used to call then jenickers & they're good. On a previous boat I
was on we had one that came well past the aft lowers & almost to the aft
cockpit when sheeted on. It was cut very full, however it made down hill
passages much more enjoyable. Make sure you have the hardware to easily
pole it, some workable preventer & chafe protection (even for the
spreaders because you'll be surprised how well it works to windward in
very light air).

Needless to say they're a compromise for serious windward work but are
OK up to a close reach.

Rarely do cruising yachts, beat to windward for actual passage making
so their lack of on the wind performance is no biggy, besides you just
spent heats on that iron topsail for exactly that point of sailing:-)

Here's some of Harry's lies for you, just to bring back old memories:-)

I'm doing my part to ease unemployment. I'm hiring another writer

for my

Wowser, Mama. Did Harry dump you for a younger woman, because you sure
act like a woman scorned. Maybe he turned you down for a date?

Are you the same person who posted here as ?

I thought I was the Mad Dog. You got me beat.

Ke-ripes, the insults to which I am exposed here...Sheesh. Implicit in
the word "dump" is the thought that she might have interested me. Our
Ms. Smith is what we referred to way back when as a "Three Bag Date."
That is, you'd have to put three bags over her...

Good grief. Bite your tongue, Mad Dog.

--
Email sent to
is never read.
JohnH

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 08:41:45 -0500, Harry Krause wrote:

K Smith wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:
K Smith wrote:

Jack Meholf wrote:

Karen who would have guessed copying Harry's lies would have made him so
mad.

Karen Elizabeth Smith and Jack-me-off Gallows. A perfect newsgroup combo.

Hey we can team up with the left's three stooges & give the Jacksons a
run for their money???? oops maybe one of them isn't available at this
time???

Thanks for the sterling performances of late Harry (the late Harry, now
there's a nice thought), come on tell us all; did you really think
people believed your lies & BS, surely not even you're that stupid, but

I'll paste the next series for you when I get a moment, so maintain
that rage (as if you have any choice:-)), I have to admit; it really
suits you:-) :-)

YOu're not "pasting" for me, scumbag, because I rarely if ever read more
than the first few lines of your toilet flushes here. In fact, I suspect
the only people here who read your trash are some of the righties.
Everyone else knows you're psychotic.

Most of us suspect you're diddling yourself while you type your tripe
about me. It's the only way you can get off, eh...

Poor cucumber.

Harry, if that's the case, you gotta admit she types pretty well one-handedly!

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
Lloyd Sumpter

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 14:42:44 +1100, K Smith wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
[...]

Ah, yes: a pole. Hadn't thought of that. I had one on both my earlier boats, but
the shrouds on Far Cove are placed such that a whiskerpole is hard to set. In
very light air, I've been known to rig up the boathook from one of the shrouds.

Needless to say they're a compromise for serious windward work but are
OK up to a close reach.

Rarely do cruising yachts, beat to windward for actual passage making
so their lack of on the wind performance is no biggy, besides you just spent
heats on that iron topsail for exactly that point of sailing:-)

Well, in the "protected waters" of Georgia Strait, I prefer to go upwind,
because:
1. There's often not a lot of wind, and although I can make 6+ knots on 7
knots of wind upwind, I don't make much more than 4 downwind.
2. Far Cove balances far better when beating - I can set the sails and not even
use Otto upwind.

So strangely enough, I motor more when the wind is behind me.

Lately I've gotten into just using the Genny downwind so I don't get that
shadowing from the main. OK for lazy days or 15+ wind, but not really useful if
I want to get anywhere and the wind is 5 knots on my ass.

Heaps of irrelavant garbage deleted
Lloyd Sumpter

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
Hi,
OK, here's a boating-related question (Most Rebs and Dems will have NO
IDEA what I'm talking about, but what the hell...):

Here's some of Harry's lies for you, just to bring back old memories:-)

Wow - that's gotta be some kind of record: from boating-related post to absulute
drivel in the first reply!

Lloyd

Gould 0738

Most of us suspect you're diddling yourself while you type your tripe
about me. It's the only way you can get off, eh...

Geezuz, Harry. Just ignore her. I'm not going to waste any more time with her.
Notice a few things:

1) She hasn't ever posted a single positive thing to the NG. I can't think of a
single thread she ever started that wasn't "Lying boat dealers and their
liberal mates are out to screw us all!" etc.

2) Anything she ever posts about boats is
simply an exercise in name calling and horse crap directed at people who *do*
discuss the subject. This is the same woman who went after Peggie Hall with the
assumption that she knew more about waste treatment than Peggie did, and
claimed Peggie's "spamming" the NG smelled worse than the contents of a holding
tank.

3) Almost nobody responds to her, at all.
Really sad that she has very little in her life (apparently) except calling
complete strangers long lists of names and saying hateful things about people.

4) She recently described typing her
3500 word hate posts as "fun". What does that tell you?

Responding to her merely encourages the bad behavior. I've tried it both ways,
and every time I think I'm engaged in civil discourse I am soon reminded why I
last began ignoring the woman. Don't be such a sucker for a bitter and obvious
troll. I have been- so I don't have too much room to talk. :-)

Here's this goofy fight between her and the rest of the world screwing up a
thread on sails. And we wonder why the NG fails to thrive?

Lloyd Sumpter

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 03:08:36 +0000, Wayne. wrote:

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 13:25:49 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter" wrote:
OK, here's a boating-related question (Most Rebs and Dems will have NO
IDEA what I'm talking about, but what the hell...):

What's the Story on Cruising Spinnakers (I like to call them "downwind
floppy genoas, because they act more like gennys than true spinnakers)? They
used to be All The Rage, now I rarely see one.

I'm getting a new genny for Far Cove in the near future, so was
wondering if a C.S. was worth the cost.

In my opinion they are better than cruising with no spinnaker at all but not
much. The usable range of wind angles is small compared to a real spinnaker on
a pole.

Yeah, that was my experience with my Cal 25, that had a "genuine" spinnaker. I
remember one sail up the Sunshine Coast, wind about 160 or so - there was a
30-footer about 5 miles ahead of me at Gower Point, and I had passed it by
Welcome Passage. He was spending all his time hand-jyping his C.S. back and
forth, trying to get it out of the shadow of the main. I was just sailing along
under spinnaker, steering with my foot and enjoying the scenery.

The biggest improvements in sailing ability that most cruising boats can make
a Clean bottom and keel; Folding or feathering prop; Spinnaker; Elimination
of excess weight in the bow and stern.

I just can't seem to get any speed on a "deep reach" in light air. I usually end
up reaching just at the point where the main starts shadowing the genny, then
gybe the main and try wing-and-wing. Nothing seems to get me more than 2-3 knots
in 5-7 knots wind (where I'd be doing 5.5 or so upwind!)

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36
Harry Krause

Gould 0738 wrote:
[...]

You're absolutely right, and the sorry little bitch has also chased off
some good contributors here, people who actually knew something about
engines.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Lloyd Sumpter

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 05:46:37 +0000, Jack Dale wrote:

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 13:25:49 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter" wrote:

I'm getting a new genny for Far Cove in the near future, so was
wondering if a C.S. was worth the cost.

A cruising chute does not replace a genoa. In the light winds of the Gulf
Islands in the summer, they are great. But you still need a genoa for
close-hauled sailing and heavier winds.

True - I was thinking of "in addition to" rather than "instead of". As I
mentioned in another post, I'm having a problem getting good speed downwind in
light air. Maybe I'm asking too much: how fast COULD I go in a Catalina 36 with
the wind 5 knots at 160 degrees? How much faster would I go with a C.S. rather
than a properly-set 135% genoa?

BTW - If you want a lesson -- I might be available. I am heading to Vancouver
for an advanced CYA instructor re-cert next weekend. (Not available then.)

Hmmm.... I kind of have my own ways of sailing after doing so for 30 years or
so, but it might be fun. Brent at Leitch&McBride said he'd go out with me if I
bought a new genny off him (I've bought all my sails there)

You're located in Sidney? Maybe I'll drop by on my way to Barkley Sound this
summer!

Truth is, I want to make sure Far Cove sails well once I get this new motor, so
I won't be tempted to motor wherever I go

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Harry Krause

K Smith wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:
K Smith wrote:

Jack Meholf wrote:

[...]

It's a diesel-powered pukecumber, er, cucumber.

--
Email sent to is never read.