Wayne.B

Default Downwind Floppy Genoas?

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 13:25:49 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:
OK, here's a boating-related question (Most Rebs and Dems will have NO
IDEA what I'm talking about, but what the hell...):

What's the Story on Cruising Spinnakers (I like to call them "downwind
floppy genoas, because they act more like gennys than true spinnakers)?
They used to be All The Rage, now I rarely see one.

I'm getting a new genny for Far Cove in the near future, so was
wondering if a C.S. was worth the cost.

In my opinion they are better than cruising with no spinnaker at all
but not much. The usable range of wind angles is small compared to a
real spinnaker on a pole. With a little practice and an autopilot,
two people can manage a conventional spinnaker on boats up to the mid
to upper 30 ft range. Racing boats go short handed on distance races
all of the time with only 3 or 4 people on deck, even on 40 footers.
On a cruising boat the autopilot makes the third person. It helps to
have had previous experience on a fully crewed boat however because
that's where you learn the little tricks of the trade.

Another alternative to a cruising spinnaker is a conventional
spinnaker with a snuffing sock. These can be made to work but you can
also get some hellacious snarls if everthing is not just right. Any
spinnaker alternative at all will be a big improvement once the wind
goes abaft the beam.

The biggest improvements in sailing ability that most cruising boats
can make a Clean bottom and keel; Folding or feathering prop;
Spinnaker; Elimination of excess weight in the bow and stern.