James Gemmill

Default keel sheild/guard

Are they necessary?

easily installed?

I beach my boat for camping (lake powell in Arizona on sandy beaches
mostly) and wonder if I shod install one.

21 foot Cobalt
Bill Andersen

Yes, you should.
I did, after several years of beaching my 19' bowrider. I ended up scraping
through the gel-coat and may have developed a leak. I thought I did at the
time, but it may have only been the lost gel-coat.
Anyway, I spent hours learning how to do fiberglass repair and cover it with
Marine-Tex, then installed the Keel Guard. Of course, I ended up being
interrupted by inclement weather, so the whole process took several weeks.
And, lying on your back under a trailered boat while working is not fun.
Installing the Keel Guard was the easiest thing I did! Because of the
limited space to move around under the trailer, I had my granddaughter
support the far end of the Guard for me, and I peeled off only about a foot
of the protective backing at a time. Working that way, it only took a few
minutes to get the Guard in place, then I use the provided scraping tool to
rub it flat and get a good seal. Just to be sure, after everything had
cured, I ran a thin bead of 3M sealant around the edges.

"James Gemmill" gemmilljim@hotmail,com wrote in message
Are they necessary?

easily installed?

I beach my boat for camping (lake powell in Arizona on sandy beaches
mostly) and wonder if I shod install one.

21 foot Cobalt

Bill Andersen

Yes, that's correct. The instructions are easy to follow. Clean the surface,
use the provided cleaner to be sure it's clean (no labor, just wipe it),
then peel/stick and use the provided rubber putty knife shaped scraper to
rub it and get a good bond. Someone in this newsgroup suggested using the 3M
sealant as insurance and I did. That only took a few more minutes.
It's been on for several months of beaching and my boat's in salt water at
least twice a week for 8 hours a day plus occasional fresh water outings.
The seal is still good and the Guard doesn't show any wear.

"RG" wrote in message
[...]

Calif Bill

"James Gemmill" gemmilljim@hotmail,com wrote in message
Are they necessary?

easily installed?

I beach my boat for camping (lake powell in Arizona on sandy beaches
mostly) and wonder if I shod install one.

21 foot Cobalt

No answer on the keel guard. But question on Lake Powell. Thought of
renting a houseboat as I also have a 21' boat. How easy is the camping
availability and is fuel a problem with a 100 mile range?
Bill

James Gemmill

Powell is wonderful houseboat country. Fuel last month was about
$2.50-$2.60 on the lake and is available at about 50 mile intervals.
Campng is easy, especally now. The lake is less than half full and
many sandy beaches area available. This low level makes the upper
lake hard to use. Bullfrog and Hall's crossing are still available
but Hite has closed the ramp. From Wahweap, Dangling Rope marina is
about 35 miles. Within the range of that marina are numerousl
beautiful canyons and sites to behold. Check out
http://www.wayneswords.com/ for more info on the lake and fishing
tips.
Good luck and have fun.

Fibre Keel Grumpy General 1 October 19th 03 03:41 PM
2 newbie questions... A.C. General 3 September 6th 03 08:46 AM