Art Salmons

Default 1997 Stratos 285 PE new bass boat (used) for me

I bought a 1997 Stratos model 285 Professional Elite with a Evinrude
Intruder 150 HP. I must admit it's my first bass boat. When I went for
a test ride the boat had a 14 and 1/4" 24 pitch Raker prop on it and
we hit about 65 MPH on the speedometer @ 5200 PM's with 1/3 of a tank
of gas. When I got home I put on a 21 pitch Soras 14" 4 bladed prop.
The hole shot now is very good (better then the Raker prop) but in
light chop today I hit 63 on the speedometer at 5200 RPM's. On the
hand held GPS when the speedo said 63 I was doing 58.7 MPH based on
the GPS.

What is the right prop prop for this boat as my marine guy really
pushes the 21 pitch 4 Bladed prop. I have both so I can change
anytime. Speed isn't the main consideration for me and the boat drove
and handled the situation well. I would just like to get the max out
of the boat and what it is designed to do with the 150 HP Motor. I
usually drive the boat less hard (4000 RPM) unless going the whole
lenght of the lake which is about 8 miles.

The only complaint I have is that the boat seemed to want to steer
slightly left and the pressure to turn it seemed high to me. The boat
looks almost new and has very little wear and I got it off Ebay from a
dealer 50 miles from me.

When I went to go for a test ride in it I brought a cashiers check
made out to him or me. If I wasn't happy I was going to walk away and
redeposit the money in my account.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Art Salmons
Short Wave Sportfishing

On 29 Aug 2004 15:19:38 -0700, (Art Salmons)
wrote:

I bought a 1997 Stratos model 285 Professional Elite with a Evinrude
Intruder 150 HP. I must admit it's my first bass boat. When I went for
a test ride the boat had a 14 and 1/4" 24 pitch Raker prop on it and
we hit about 65 MPH on the speedometer @ 5200 PM's with 1/3 of a tank
of gas. When I got home I put on a 21 pitch Soras 14" 4 bladed prop.
The hole shot now is very good (better then the Raker prop) but in
light chop today I hit 63 on the speedometer at 5200 RPM's. On the
hand held GPS when the speedo said 63 I was doing 58.7 MPH based on
the GPS.

I'd call it 60 and leave it at that. GPS is fairly accurate measure
of speed, then again, the speedo you have is fairly accurate also.

What is the right prop prop for this boat as my marine guy really
pushes the 21 pitch 4 Bladed prop. I have both so I can change
anytime. Speed isn't the main consideration for me and the boat drove
and handled the situation well. I would just like to get the max out
of the boat and what it is designed to do with the 150 HP Motor. I
usually drive the boat less hard (4000 RPM) unless going the whole
lenght of the lake which is about 8 miles.

Viewpoints on this are like noses - everybody has one.

For me, running at that speed, 5200 max RPM, I'll take it everytime.
That engine is fairly efficient, but not working it maxed out for long
runs is only going to benefit you in the wallet over time - both from
the wear/tear perspective and from less fuel.

The only complaint I have is that the boat seemed to want to steer
slightly left and the pressure to turn it seemed high to me. The boat
looks almost new and has very little wear and I got it off Ebay from a
dealer 50 miles from me.

Do you have hydraulic or cable steering? If it's hydraulic, then you
will probably need to work the system a little and add a little
hydraulic fluid. Is it is mechanical (a rotary worm gear with cable)
you might have to work the steering a little to loosen it up - in
particular if the boat has been sitting for a while. You might also
want to grease the steering tube at the motor - always helps.

The wander problem is the trim tab below the cavitation plate. Play
with it a little adjusting the tab to the opposite side of your wander
problem.

Have fun and enjoy your boat.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
Tony Thomas

The numbers don't add up.
The 4 blade must have been a 24 pitch prop. Otherwise you would have to
turn 6200 rpms w/ a 21 to get that speed.

Assuming the 4 blade is a 24 pitch prop then that should be about your best
performance w/ this rig.
You could drop down to a 22 and get a few more rpms which will help w/ the
hole shot but it will slow you down on top end.

A 4 blade will usually be a few mph slower due to its less efficiency on top
end (it is much more efficient at lower rpms but not at high rpms).

As for the steering wheel pull, adjust the trim tab which is directly above
the prop so it is pointed straight in line w/ the boat. Sounds like someone
has pushed it full right which will cause the boat to push left. Keep
playing with it until you get it where you want it.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Art Salmons" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:30:40 GMT, "Tony Thomas"
wrote:

The numbers don't add up.
The 4 blade must have been a 24 pitch prop. Otherwise you would have to
turn 6200 rpms w/ a 21 to get that speed.

Assuming the 4 blade is a 24 pitch prop then that should be about your best
performance w/ this rig.
You could drop down to a 22 and get a few more rpms which will help w/ the
hole shot but it will slow you down on top end.

Help me out here.

How, exactly, is speed/rpm/pitch figured?

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
Tony Thomas

pitch x rpms
----------------- = speed x efficiency = true speed
1056 x gear ratio

1056 is just a conversion factor to get the numbers into MPH.

--

wrote:

The numbers don't add up.
The 4 blade must have been a 24 pitch prop. Otherwise you would have to
turn 6200 rpms w/ a 21 to get that speed.

Assuming the 4 blade is a 24 pitch prop then that should be about your

best
performance w/ this rig.
You could drop down to a 22 and get a few more rpms which will help w/

the
hole shot but it will slow you down on top end.

Help me out here.

How, exactly, is speed/rpm/pitch figured?

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 03:14:00 GMT, "Tony Thomas"
wrote:

pitch x rpms
----------------- = speed x efficiency = true speed
1056 x gear ratio

1056 is just a conversion factor to get the numbers into MPH.

Ah - that's the missing piece.

Mucus grassy ass. :)

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717

Art Salmons

The numbers don't add up.
The 4 blade must have been a 24 pitch prop. Otherwise you would have to
turn 6200 rpms w/ a 21 to get that speed.

Tony What's the gear ratio for the Evinrude 150 HP motor?
Thanks, Art

Assuming the 4 blade is a 24 pitch prop then that should be about your best
performance w/ this rig.
You could drop down to a 22 and get a few more rpms which will help w/ the
hole shot but it will slow you down on top end.

A 4 blade will usually be a few mph slower due to its less efficiency on top
end (it is much more efficient at lower rpms but not at high rpms).

As for the steering wheel pull, adjust the trim tab which is directly above
the prop so it is pointed straight in line w/ the boat. Sounds like someone
has pushed it full right which will cause the boat to push left. Keep
playing with it until you get it where you want it.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

Tony Thomas

1.85:1 is the number I used. That is what I remember it being and what they
currently use.
That gives an 88% efficiency which is about right for a good SS 4 blade
prop.