KD

Default Eddyline Wind Dancer?!?! 26 hour time limit!!! Help!!!

Hope you don't mind a question from someone who isn't even a lurker in this
newsgroup.

Here's my situation:

A friend has offered to sell me a "like new" Eddyline Wind Dancer with
paddle for $650, and I have until Friday evening to decide.

My only paddling experience has been in one friend's surfing-type kayak and
another friend's sea-kayak-type kayak. One summer I was doing weekly two
mile paddles and a year or two later did a couple of five mile paddles
(always in boats that barely floated my 210 pounds - really inefficient). I
enjoy paddling and have always wanted a kayak of my own, but just haven't
gotten around to it.

We live a few houses from the beach, in Ventura California, where the entry
into the water can range from flat and smooth to pretty high surf. Or, I can
pull the kayak about 1/4 mile and get into the water on a boating channel.
There's good paddling in the harbor, but I really like being out on the
ocean better. (I'm comfortable on the water and in the waves - been surfing
most of my life.)

Would this be a good kayak for me? (If I don't like it, I'm assuming I could
get my money back out of it.) I guess that you're supposed to use a skirt
with this type of boat. Does that mean that I'd have to learn to roll it
before I'd be safe on the open ocean? Is it considered unsafe to use this
type of kayak without a skirt (like on hot, smooth summer days)? Am I going
to break this kayak into two pieces if I botch up coming back in to the
beach?

Should I buy this because it's such a good deal, or should I wait for a used
plastic kayak to come my way? (There's also a tandem Whisper model available
at a similar price - if I buy both I get an almost-free trailer and canvas
cover.) Thanks for any help on this impulse buy. I feel like I'll regret it
if I don't buy the Wind Dancer, but if it's completely unsuitable I'll let
someone else have the good deal.

my email is koert at pierpont com

Arthurkayk

The Winddancer is an older design. It's very, very stable. To me it
feels like paddling an ironing board. but that's just me. It has a very large
load capcity so it should easily float your 210 lbs. It is certainly not a
fast boat.
Yes you need a spray skirt. Surfing is good but, trust me, kayaking ain't
surfing unless you are surfing a kayak and even then I am sure it's different.
Please take some classes or contact a local kayak club and don't assume that
surfing has completely prepared you for sea kayaking.
KD

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

surfing unless you are surfing a kayak and even then I am sure it's

different.
Please take some classes or contact a local kayak club and don't assume

that
surfing has completely prepared you for sea kayaking.

A year or two ago, a ways down the coast, a group of avid kayak-fishermen
were humbled by a strong offshore wind that prevented some of them from
getting back in. About five years ago six of our local outrigger paddlers
were knocked loose in heavy seas and two of them drowned. I've seen enough
to realize that I'll need to take baby steps. But, I'm a little concerned
that the Wind Dancer might be less safe than a sit-on-the-top-type kayak.
I've decided to pass on it unless someone tells me that it's an absolutely
incredible deal. I like the idea of the rudder, but I usually prefer simple
designs and the Wind Dancer's combination of the rudder, necessity of a
skirt, difficulty in reboarding at sea, and flotation concerns might take
away from the fun.

This looks to be a good time of the year to buy a kayak in this area, so
I'll probably just switch my sights to a used Ocean Kayak or something
similar.

Serge

Get a surf ski. Easy on/off. It will keep you buisy for a while.
Large people do well in skis.
If you get newer 25lb. one you can even carry it couple of
blocks to the beach.
KD

Hey Sergey,

As I read more, I'm beginning to realize how important the fit is. I've had
some back problems and occasionally get leg cramps - probably would be much
more comfortable with a sit-on-top or a surf ski. A lightweight ski would
get more use because it would be so easy to launch.

I'm going to borrow a Scupper Pro for a while and see how it works for me.

Thanks,

Koert

"Serge" wrote in message
om...
Get a surf ski. Easy on/off. It will keep you buisy for a while.
Large people do well in skis.
If you get newer 25lb. one you can even carry it couple of
blocks to the beach.

Serge

Don't bother with a Scupper.

You'll feel fine from the first moment on and that's what is wrong.
You don't get on the bike first time and start blasting away.

Kayaks are the same.

Go to www.oceanpaddlesports.com/ in your area and test a ski.

Don't get discouraged falling off - it is like a bike, remember.
Some skis have adjustable foot wells and accommodate any hight.

Once get a feel for it you will not set a foot in a kayak again.

The similarity between Scupper and a surf ski is the same as between
tricycle and racing bike - you sit on them spinning pedals and that's about it.
KD

The similarity between Scupper and a surf ski is the same as between
tricycle and racing bike - you sit on them spinning pedals and that's

about it.

That's what I was hoping for with the Wind Dancer, but the surf ski sounds
more practical. I have a friend who's an incredible paddler, and I guess
I'll have to turn to him for advice (kind of scary because he's so dead
serious about it - no casual paddling for him).

John Fereira

"KD" wrote in
m:

Hey Sergey,

As I read more, I'm beginning to realize how important the fit is. I've
had some back problems and occasionally get leg cramps - probably would
be much more comfortable with a sit-on-top or a surf ski. A lightweight
ski would get more use because it would be so easy to launch.

From what I've seen Serge seems to be very pro surf-ski's. There's nothing
wrong with that but just because one person likes one type of boat that
doesn't mean that it's the most appropriate style for everyone. There are
also quite a few folding boat advocates, traditional greenland style
advocates, wooden boat advocates, and many more.

Also keep in mind that for very long distance touring, closed cockpit kayaks
are almost exclusively used. Some expeditions make take several weeks and
cover several hundred (or thousand) miles. Obviously comfort is a concern
but expedition paddlers managed to be comfortable with a closed cockpit
boat.

To answer one of your other questions: You don't necessarily need to learn
how to roll if you paddle a kayak with a spray skirt, though I don't think
getting a SOT or surf kayak so that you don't have to learn how to roll
makes much sense. Learning how to roll is not that difficult and it's a lot
of fun. If you paddle a closed cockpit boat with a spray skirt you will,
however, need to learn how to peform a wet exit and a self resue. For one
of the clubs I paddle with first timers have to perform a exit before they
are allowed to use a paddle. It's a remarkably easy skill to learn.

I'm going to borrow a Scupper Pro for a while and see how it works for
me.

For your climate and location that's probably not a bad choice. One of the
cool things about kayaking is that you can go just about anywhere where
there is water and you'll likely find someplace that will you rent you a
kayak. SOT kayaks and surf skis are nice for warm water climates but if you
someday find yourself in Maine or the Pacific Northwest you won't see too
many SOT kayaks. The water is just too cold to be sitting in it for any
length of time. Learning to paddle in a closed cockpit boat will increase
your options.

While Serge recommended a surf ski I would suggest otherwise. A surf ski is
a pretty narrow focus style kayak and for someone just getting into the
sport having something a little more general purpose makes more sense to me.
If you're like many others, you probably don't really know the kind of
paddling you'll most like to do. When I bought my first kayak I bought one
for a specific purpose because I assumed that was the kind of paddling I
wanted to do. Then I tried a different style boat. I owned that first boat
for three weeks before I started looking for a new one the suited the style
which I discovered I *really* preferred.
Serge

Yea, you are right about touring - there is no substitution
for a touring kayak.

But where KD lives there is no touring, unless this is a
real estate beach property tour.
If you go some place else, you can rent a tourer rather than haul it
all the way(I prefer double for touring)

Going to Santa Catalina Isl. would require a sea-worthy kayak but this
is not a every day adventure.

So where KD lives is a prime location for a ski - harbor nearby
for flat water paddling and ocean for calm days, warm weatrher all
year.

Here is comparison:

Kayak (sit in) Kayak (sit on top) Surf Ski

Exercise Some None (too wide for Excellent
forward stroke)

Touring Good None (too unwieldy Bad choice
and wet) (no hatches)

Launch Jetty, wet feet Any Wade in
or scarped bottom

Wet suit Often needed Same Same

Weight 42lb 55lb 25lb

Pump, float, Yes No No
skirt

Bathroom **** bottle Do not stray too far No problemo
from bathroom

Cost $3000+ $800 $2000

Speed OK Slow up to 8MPH

Paddle Touring Any flat object Wing paddle

Diving No Works well Snorkeling
only

Birdwatching Yes Good Only birds
that poop on you

The "Wow' index Only bright Only when you All the time
colors lift it

Safety Wet exit or eskimo Safe Safe