William R. Watt

Default dead kayaker disposition?

someone mentioned in another newsgroup a report of finding someone dead in
a kayak. is this possible? I would think the kayak would roll over and
discard it's victim.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Paul Skoczylas

"William R. Watt" wrote in message

someone mentioned in another newsgroup a report of finding someone dead in
a kayak. is this possible? I would think the kayak would roll over and
discard it's victim.

If the skirt is well fitting, it's certainly possible that the body might
not fall out.

Or if the kayak is pinned in moving water, the force of the water could hold
the body in place.

-Paul

Michael Daly

On 26-Aug-2004, "Paul Skoczylas" wrote:

"William R. Watt" wrote in message

someone mentioned in another newsgroup a report of finding someone dead in
a kayak. is this possible? I would think the kayak would roll over and
discard it's victim.

If the skirt is well fitting, it's certainly possible that the body might
not fall out.

Or if the kayak is pinned in moving water, the force of the water could hold
the body in place.

Or if the kayak is one of many that aren't tippy and the weather conditions
aren't rough. There are several kayaks that you could sleep in if you had
to.

Mike
Ed

The kayaker was a safety boater for Southeastern Expeditions rafting
company. I was the lead safety boater that day, dropping thru ahead of the
group to pick up swimmers before they got stuffed in Middle Crack. He was
the pickup safety at the end of the pack. As I remember, the water level was
nothing special that day, maybe two feet.

We always raced to the takeout when we hit the fla****er, but when the
kayaker didn't show up, we knew something was wrong. It wasn't a heart
attack. The kayaker was a brittle diabetic and apparently had an attack,
flipped upside down and drowned.

We were all devastated but not surprised. The kayaker's doctor had
repeatedly warned him against strenuous activity. I paddled with the guy
every day for months and he knew that it was just a matter of time. But, he
loved kayaking and especially loved Section 4 and he floated out of this
world on his own terms. We later joked that he timed things perfectly that
day because he hated the fla****er. :-)

That's been 20 years ago and I thought that I would never forget his name.
It will come to me after I have another shot of Tequila in his honor. In the
meantime I apologize for my rusty "old fart" memory.

Ed Puterbaugh
Bluegrass Wildwater Association

"Tom McCloud" wrote in message
On 26 Aug 2004 14:25:34 GMT, (William R.
Watt) wrote:
someone mentioned in another newsgroup a report of finding someone dead in
a kayak. is this possible?

It's been probably 20 years ago that a group of paddlers completed
section 4 Chattooga, and were making that fla****er paddle to
take-out. One guy in a kayak dropped back, and, apparently suffering
a heart attack, rolled over. At some point later another group of
paddlers came upon the overturned kayak, assuming it was a boat lost
on the river, rolled it over and found a dead man still in it. I no
longer remember the name of the victim but I know the guy who rolled
the kayak up.

Second answer is a question to our Canadian members: you know the
definition of kayak disease at it applies to the Inuit?
Tom McCloud

Brian Nystrom

Tom McCloud wrote:

Second answer is a question to our Canadian members: you know the
definition of kayak disease at it applies to the Inuit?

Are you referring to "kayak angst"? It's a form of vertigo that can
occur when paddling in fog, darkness or other conditions that make it
impossible to visually distinguish the water's surface. Your brain loses
all spatial orientation. Fortunately, simply creating ripples on the
water surface with your paddle is enough to "break the spell", so to speak.

riverman

"Brian Nystrom" wrote in message

Tom McCloud wrote:

Second answer is a question to our Canadian members: you know the
definition of kayak disease at it applies to the Inuit?

Are you referring to "kayak angst"? It's a form of vertigo that can
occur when paddling in fog, darkness or other conditions that make it
impossible to visually distinguish the water's surface. Your brain loses
all spatial orientation. Fortunately, simply creating ripples on the
water surface with your paddle is enough to "break the spell", so to

speak.

I've experienced this in a canoe on a glassy lake, under a moonless, crystal
clear star-filled sky. Very spooky, as your rational thought is fully aware
of what would happen if you fell over. Even in a stable boat like a canoe,
you can be so offbalance and dizzy from it that you could completely fall
out of the boat from a sitting position without dumping. The cure (other
than making ripples) is to close your eyes and lie on the floor of your
boat. Face down helps.

--riverman

Dave Manby

Cameron O'Connor was found at the bottom of Tumwater canyon in WA
upside-down in her kayak after being worked in the rapids above. She was
revived.

In message , riverman
writes

--
Dave Manby
Details of the Coruh river and my book "Many Rivers To Run" at

Tom McCloud

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:48:30 GMT, Brian Nystrom
wrote:
Tom McCloud wrote:
Second answer is a question to our Canadian members: you know the
definition of kayak disease at it applies to the Inuit?

Are you referring to "kayak angst"? It's a form of vertigo that can
occur when paddling in fog, darkness or other conditions that make it
impossible to visually distinguish the water's surface. Your brain loses
all spatial orientation. Fortunately, simply creating ripples on the
water surface with your paddle is enough to "break the spell", so to speak.

Brian and riverman (Is that you, Myron---where you at?) are both
kind of on the right track. The Inuit kayak is, after all, a
hunting craft, often used to spear seals. On a sunny, windless day
the hunter may paddle out onto the ocean, and to have any chance of
spearing anything he must sit there, absolutely motionless for an
extended period of time, to prevent spooking the seals. So he's hot,
and the surface of the sea is glassy, rocking very gently, he gets
drowsy and he falls asleep, then turns over in the boat and drowns.
A death of this sort was referred to as 'kayak disease'. Not sure
where I read this, years ago. Maybe a Peter Freuchen book?
Tom McCloud