otnmbrd

Default Portable VHF Gift for a Friend...

Have two Horizon 460's. They are used frequently with no problems to
date (bought when units first came on the market).
I take that back, on one radio, I use the "boom mike" setup ... there is
a pivot on this so you can use either ear, which is a weak link and
breaks easily. I've devised a fix, but it's still a pain to deal with.
Also, one the other one, I use a lapel mic ..... because of it's
waterproofing, you need to just about swallow the mic when talking, to
be heard.
G Other than these items, I'm pleased with it's range and reliability,
and battery life.

otn

Charles

Harry Krause wrote:

You sure are a sad sack. I'll bet you look like your boat: old, badly
designed, leaky seams and in need of a paint job.

At least she has a boat.......

-- Charlie

Chuck Tribolet

I have an Standard Horizon HX-350S that's been bouncing around on the
console of my Boston Whaler most every weekend for about four years.
If I were buying a handheld today, I'd buy an HX-470S, which seems
to be replacing the HX-460S. Much smaller,
also does FRS and MURS, and receives Aviation Band. MURS is a
set of five VHF frequencies which can be used ship to shore without
a license. I expect to see MURS freqs show up on console mount
VHFs before long as it's a nice solution to the boat-to-shopping-trip
(or boat-to-bar ;-) comms problem.

ICOM makes good radios too.

In any event, you want one that's rated "submersible", not "waterproof".
"Submersible" means JIS-7 (3 feet, 30 minutes). "Waterproof" means
"splashproof, maybe, but if it dies you can go to the hassle of sending it
back and we'll replace it if it's on warrantee."

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message ...
A close friend down in Florida is buying a skiff/flats boat for inshore
fishing (Indian River lagoon area) and I can't talk him into installing
a "permanent" VHF radio with antenna. He thinks his cell phone will be
enough. So for XMAS, I plan on buying him a portable VHF as a gift.

But there are so many of them out there. I have a ICOM portable I use
(rarely) as a backup on my boats, but it is a few years old and probably
no longer in production.

Any suggestions? Since it is for a small boat, ruggedized and
water-resistance are important characteristics.

What should I buy for a good-quality VHF portable for a gift?

--
Email sent to is never read.

Harry Krause

Chuck Tribolet wrote:
I have an Standard Horizon HX-350S that's been bouncing around on the
console of my Boston Whaler most every weekend for about four years.
If I were buying a handheld today, I'd buy an HX-470S, which seems
to be replacing the HX-460S. Much smaller,
also does FRS and MURS, and receives Aviation Band. MURS is a
set of five VHF frequencies which can be used ship to shore without
a license. I expect to see MURS freqs show up on console mount
VHFs before long as it's a nice solution to the boat-to-shopping-trip
(or boat-to-bar ;-) comms problem.

ICOM makes good radios too.

In any event, you want one that's rated "submersible", not "waterproof".
"Submersible" means JIS-7 (3 feet, 30 minutes). "Waterproof" means
"splashproof, maybe, but if it dies you can go to the hassle of sending it
back and we'll replace it if it's on warrantee."

Thanks, Chuck. I like that FRS feature, because it means you can use the
radio to communicate with folks on shore.

--
Email sent to is never read.