Gould 0738

All 4 of my boats had seller paid inspects (sale price reduced by cost of
inspect).

Fact remains that the expense was intially *your* responsibility as the buyer.
You can
negotiate anything you want beyond that, but it would be inaccurate to say that
it is the industry norm.
JAXAshby

If you buy the boat, the seller should absorbe the cost of the survey.

horse hockey, bald one.

baldycotton2@mchsi------- .comedy -------
Date: 8/19/2004 8:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
We've spoken to a marine surveyor we might
hire who says that the engine can be tested to some extent on land but
that we really should put the boat in the water and check it out.

So I guess your surveyor isn't Harry. He's never been out on a boat.

Seems reasonable - but my question is one about procedure. Who usually

pays
for the marina to put boat in and take it out again in such a case -
buyer or seller?

If you buy the boat, the seller should absorbe the cost of the survey.
If you don't buy it, you do.

LakeIzzy

"Petey the Wonder Dog" wrote in message
Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
We've spoken to a marine surveyor we might
hire who says that the engine can be tested to some extent on land but
that we really should put the boat in the water and check it out.

So I guess your surveyor isn't Harry. He's never been out on a boat.

Seems reasonable - but my question is one about procedure. Who usually

pays
for the marina to put boat in and take it out again in such a case -
buyer or seller?

If you buy the boat, the seller should absorbe the cost of the survey.
If you don't buy it, you do.

DING DING DING -- THE RIGHT ANSWER!

NOYB

"vze3j5ge" wrote in message
My husband and I are considering purchase of a used boat - currently out
of the water at our marina. We've spoken to a marine surveyor we might
hire who says that the engine can be tested to some extent on land but
that we really should put the boat in the water and check it out. Seems
reasonable - but my question is one about procedure. Who usually pays
for the marina to put boat in and take it out again in such a case -
buyer or seller?

I never paid a fee for any boat that I sea trialed. I bought 3 of
them...and walked away from a fourth 'cause the seller and I couldn't reach
an agreement on a lower price after the sea trial. But I still didn't pay
for the sea trial.

Three of the four boats that I sea trialed were sold on consignment by a
dealer. The reason the dealer gets a commission on the sale of a
consignment boat is because he has to take on the responsibility and cost of
launching the boat for sea trials.

There is no way I'd pay a dealer to launch and sea trial a boat that he's
already getting a commission on. That's the reason he's getting a
commission...to put up with the tire kickers.

Gould 0738

I never paid a fee for any boat that I sea trialed.

You're correct in the case of an acutal sea trial. The seller furnishes fuel,
assumes the risk of damage to the vessel, etc.

This is a case of launching the boat to perform an engine survey:

Quote:

We've spoken to a marine surveyor we might
hire who says that the engine can be tested to some extent on land but
that we really should put the boat in the water and check it out.

If it's a survey expense, it's traditionally the buyer's responsibility.

Most buyers aren't going to be paying for an engine survey until they've had a
satisfactory sea trial. If the boat won't start or run for sea trial, it
doesn't take a mechanical genius to assess its general operating condition.
:-)

JAXAshby

If the boat won't start or run for sea trial, it
doesn't take a mechanical genius to assess its general operating condition.

on the other hand, if the boat is on shore, it is the buyer's responsibility to
pay for launching for a sea trial. If you are not interested enough in a boat
to launch it, you ain't interested.

btw, ***most*** squatheads who purposely intend to chisel on price use a
"survey" (paid for by them to expressly find vague, impossible to prove reasons
why the price *must* be lower.) Any broker worth his salt weeds those turds
out, or at least gets the turd to offer a much higher price than the owner
will accept, knowing the turd will chisel. Usually, turds end up paying above
what the owner will accept just because the broker is ****ed at the idgit.
Gould 0738

btw, ***most*** squatheads who purposely intend to chisel on price use a
"survey" (paid for by them to expressly find vague, impossible to prove
reasons
why the price *must* be lower.) Any broker worth his salt weeds those turds
out, or at least gets the turd to offer a much higher price than the owner
will accept, knowing the turd will chisel. Usually, turds end up paying
above
what the owner will accept just because the broker is ****ed at the idgit.

I can't believe my eyes.

"Any broker worth his salt will weed out the 'turds' insisting on a survey?"

Such a broker would be sweeping out the grade school for mini-wage within a
couple of months