Bert Robbins

Default Those seven minutes...

Next acquisation, this one won't stick just like the other ones didn't
stick. But, you boy Kerry sure is spending a lot of time and effort trying
to silence the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

Kerry and the Democrats are doing as much as they can to prevent Nader from
running and to stop free speech from those that have opposing views. Who's
trampling on whose rights?

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
...of our idiot president playing the idiot in front of those schoolkids
while America was under attack will soon be in a series of television
commericals...

USA Today: Few will forget the devastating footage of Bush's bewildered,
dumbstruck reaction on the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, when he learns of
the attack on the World Trade Center. Instead of conferring with
advisers, he sits quietly in a Florida classroom for an interminable
seven minutes and then reads My Pet Goat to the children.

ReelViews: ...the videotaped footage of Bush in Florida's Booker
Elementary School, reading "My Pet Goat" for seven minutes after the
second plane crashed into the World Trade Center. His face is a mask of
bewilderment and indecision. It's clear that he has no idea what to do
next, and he is waiting for one of his advisors to make a suggestion.
It's not the portrait of a man any sane American would want in command.

Boston.com: For my money, the key scene in "Fahrenheit 9/11" -- the
moment on which Michael Moore's blistering yet frustratingly blunt
object of a movie hinges -- is when President Bush first hears that a
second plane has hit the World Trade Center and that the United States
is under attack. He was at a photo op in Florida, remember, reading "My
Pet Goat" to a schoolroom full of children, and his expression of
pole-axed confusion is by now a matter of public iconography. But Moore
got his hands on all the footage, and he time-lapses us through the
entire seven minutes that the president sat in that classroom and,
knowing terrorists were using passenger planes as missiles on innocent
Americans, stared like a stuffed deer into space. We've recently learned
that this was around the time Vice President Dick Cheney was ordering
fighter planes to shoot down the hijacked jets and our government's
emergency-response mechanisms were convulsing with chaos. You look at
Bush, whose circuitry seems quite simply to have overloaded, and think,
"This is the leader of the free world?"

Roger Ebert: Although Moore's narration ranges from outrage to sarcasm,
the most devastating passage in the film speaks for itself. That's when
Bush, who was reading My Pet Goat to a classroom of Florida children, is
notified of the second attack on the World Trade Center, and yet lingers
with the kids for almost seven minutes before finally leaving the room.
His inexplicable paralysis wasn't underlined in news reports at the
time, and only Moore thought to contact the teacher in that schoolroom
-- who, as it turned out, had made her own video of the visit. The
expression on Bush's face as he sits there is odd indeed.

Christian Science Monitor: Moore begins the main body of his film by
showing footage of President Bush on the morning of Sept. 11, when he
began his working day with a reading-appreciation workshop at an
elementary school. Shortly into the session, an aide whispers news of
the attacks into Mr. Bush's ear, whereupon the president remains in his
chair looking very uncertain what to do. Moore's allegation is that Bush
lacks the initiative, and perhaps the intelligence, to take even the
simplest sort of action - such as excusing himself from the room to take
charge - without having someone give him instructions.

LA Weekly: More than once Moore shows us Bush’s face in close-up on
September 11 as, preparing to read My Pet Goat to a group of inner-city
elementary schoolers, he tries to absorb the news of the attacks on the
World Trade Center. Beady eyes swiveling in agitation, he gazes vacantly
around the room for several minutes, then starts reading to the kids. In
his softly insinuating voice-over, Moore reads the scene for us as a
classic case of Bush being unable to function without a script. (These
last two sentences were included for fairness, but I do not believe this
argument is sufficient explanation as to why our president cannot take
charge as Cheney was doing.) It is just as likely that, like the rest
of us on hearing those first reports, the man was in total shock. And
what Moore fails to tell us is that even some on the left admired the
way Bush handled himself in the days after the disaster. The president
may have shifty eyes and an unhelpful way with syntax, but that in
itself doesn’t make him an idiot.

New York Daily News: Moore obtained the full reel of President Bush
sitting for nearly seven long minutes in that Florida schoolroom chair
after learning that a second plane had hit the World Trade Center. While
everyone else in the world was rushing to a TV set or collapsing in
grief, Bush continued to read "My Pet Goat."

Dallas Observer: All Moore needed to do was slow down the video of
Dubya's glazed face, sitting and reading My Pet Goat with schoolchildren
in Florida for seven minutes while his nation was under attack, to make
the disturbing case that George W. Bush is a dangerous idiot.

Philadelphia Inquirer: No, the most disturbing -- and infuriating --
image in Fahrenheit 9/11 is a shot of Bush sitting in a Florida
classroom on the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, where he had come for a
photo op. We watch as an aide walks in and whispers in Bush's ear,
informing him that a second plane has struck the World Trade Center and
the country is under attack. And for the next seven agonizing minutes,
Bush sits there silently, looking worried, confused, lost. When he
finally takes action, it is to pick up a copy of My Pet Goat and read
along with the kids, doing his best to pretend nothing is wrong. As
Moore suggests via voice-over, Bush looks like a man waiting to be told
what to do. And that is a scenario that should be deeply frightening to
anyone, regardless of party lines, political beliefs or even your
personal opinion of Moore.

The Washington Post: Then comes the second crash. Only then does Moore
cut to the faces of those watching. A tearful woman cries out to God to
save the souls of those leaping from the windows. Another, devastated,
sits down on the sidewalk. We don't see the jumpers. But we feel we do.
And it makes watching the "My Pet Goat" scene more disturbing than funny.

--
Save America - Defeat Bush!

OT One More Reason to Boycott 60 Minutes Christopher Robin General 10 April 13th 04 03:45 PM
( OT ) FACT CHECK: Condi Rice's 60 Minutes Interview, 3/28/04 Jim General 0 March 29th 04 05:24 AM
The list Bobsprit ASA 75 October 19th 03 04:07 AM
94' OMC 115 loses power after first 5 minutes Jacob Morgan General 0 July 13th 03 04:15 PM