Harry Krause

Default Five footers...on the Bay?

The latest forecast for Chesapeake Bay:

Tonight
NE wind increasing to 25 to 30 kt with gusts up to 40 kt...then N 35 to
40 kt with gusts up to 50 kt after midnight. Waves 2 ft...building to 5
ft after midnight. Widespread heavy rain and scattered tstms in the
evening tapering to scattered showers overnight.

Gusts up to 50 mph? On the Bay...

Too bad it'll be dark...watching five footers or more on the Bay would
be a sight to see.

--
"There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in
Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me -
jim--

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
The latest forecast for Chesapeake Bay:

Tonight
NE wind increasing to 25 to 30 kt with gusts up to 40 kt...then N 35 to
40 kt with gusts up to 50 kt after midnight. Waves 2 ft...building to 5
ft after midnight. Widespread heavy rain and scattered tstms in the
evening tapering to scattered showers overnight.

Gusts up to 50 mph? On the Bay...

Too bad it'll be dark...watching five footers or more on the Bay would
be a sight to see.

Really? 5 footers in Sandusky Bay off Lake Erie are not uncommon. Why are
you so excited about 5 footers in the Chesapeake? I would guess the Bay has
some pretty nasty seas at times...5 footers are certainly not nasty although
the winds forecasted certainly are.

Have you ever been out in anything other than 1-2 footers Harry?

Harry Krause

jim-- wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
The latest forecast for Chesapeake Bay:

Tonight
NE wind increasing to 25 to 30 kt with gusts up to 40 kt...then N 35 to
40 kt with gusts up to 50 kt after midnight. Waves 2 ft...building to 5
ft after midnight. Widespread heavy rain and scattered tstms in the
evening tapering to scattered showers overnight.

Gusts up to 50 mph? On the Bay...

Too bad it'll be dark...watching five footers or more on the Bay would
be a sight to see.

Really? 5 footers in Sandusky Bay off Lake Erie are not uncommon. Why are
you so excited about 5 footers in the Chesapeake? I would guess the Bay has
some pretty nasty seas at times...5 footers are certainly not nasty although
the winds forecasted certainly are.

Have you ever been out in anything other than 1-2 footers Harry?

The Bay is relatively shallow, Dennis, and where we are, not very wide.
There are significant portions of the shoreline barely above sea level.
With any kind of wind, five foot waves riding on top of a storm surge on
top of water that may only be three to four feet deep out a half mile to
nearly a mile in some places leads to an interesting visual.

Dennis, at best, and I mean at best, you may have been the owner of a
boat that rarely left the dock, according to your own posts. I suspect
if you were out in the ocean or even this Bay on a rough day, you'd
brownstain your shorts.

Pethaps the next time you have a really nasty storm on Lake Erie, you
and your wife should go out in it for some fun. Be sure to let the rest
of us know how the two of you do.

Got a real name, Dennis?
Got an occupation, Dennis?
Got a college degree, Dennis?
Got a working brain, Dennis?

Didn't think so.

--
"There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in
Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me -
you can't get fooled again." -George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., Sept.
17, 2002
jim--

jim-- wrote:
[...]

As is Lake Erie and Sandusky Bay. 5 footers on either of them are not
uncommon.

There are significant portions of the shoreline barely above sea level.
With any kind of wind, five foot waves riding on top of a storm surge on
top of water that may only be three to four feet deep out a half mile to
nearly a mile in some places leads to an interesting visual.

What sort of storm surge is expected on the Bay? I do not recall any talk
about storm surges on the Chesapeake Bay resulting from Charley. Got a
link?

Anonymous Poster

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:03:56 -0400 "jim--" wrote..

jim-- wrote:
[...]

I finally figured you out Jim. Krause pays to to post. That way, his posts are
discussed more widely than they might be. That's it isn't it? You and your sock
puppets are foils for krause.

How much are you paid? Is it enough to life off of? Enquiring minds want to know.

--
Posted by usenet4all.com

jim--

jim-- wrote:
[...]

Yes, you got me. Krause pays *to to post*.

He-he-he. Another Krause sock puppet bites the dust.

JAXAshby

five foot waves riding on top of a storm surge on
top of water that may only be three to four feet deep

hoary, five foot waves can NOT exist in three to four foot deep water without
breaking, therefore

out a half mile to
nearly a mile

can not happen.

nice try, hoary.
Calif Bill

There will be a storm surge. Hurricanes are low pressure cells. When I
went through Betsy in Biloxi in 1965, we had about a 9' surge. And we were
75 miles from the eye. They will get both a surge from the low pressure,
and from the wind piling up the water. Same reason that Bengladesh has such
terrible floods. The prevailing winds blow the water in to land.
Bill

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
five foot waves riding on top of a storm surge on
top of water that may only be three to four feet deep

hoary, five foot waves can NOT exist in three to four foot deep water

without
breaking, therefore

out a half mile to
nearly a mile

can not happen.

nice try, hoary.

JAXAshby

billie, one can not get 4 foot waves in 3 foot deep water. one can't get 4
foot waves even in 9 foot deep water. or even 20 foot deep water. or 30 foot
deep water.

it don't make a rip what the storm surge is or is not.

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
28 footers for channel islands Lefty Cruising 5 September 13th 03 04:18 PM
Aloha ahh aaaa Capt.American ASA 9 July 2nd 03 01:42 AM