Capt.American

Default Aloha ahh aaaa

Ahoy ASA,
Well I make it to Hawaii from Seattle in 31 days. At an adverage of 76
miles per day for an adverage of 3 knots. That’s 2480 nautical
miles est..
I counted seeing over 50 ships, 3 longliners (one I hit his longline
at 0300 about 680 miles off the coast of California, and and came to a
stop, had to drop the sail and dive in to cut his mono line,must have
been over 10 miles long and I wasent in the mood to go around it,
also saw 6 other sailboats. One a 60 footer names Grace was the only
sailboat that came close enough to talk to the crew. They where amazed
I be out here all alone on such a small boat. It was out of San Deigo
headed to Hawaii.
The only disaster I had was pulling my sea anchor in after a storm and
finding out all the slime on it was Man-O- War strings or tenticals.
My hands where stung bad and swelled up like ballons for a day, just
took a **** before pulling it in, soo all I had was meat tenderizer to
treat it. Luckly it way a one tack day.

Worst sea day was on the June 11th.
Here are my log entrys.
0700 GMT June 11- 03
First light , no change in wind, still Force 7 and 8 from NE.
Waves are astounding!!! The problem waves are the little 8 to 12
footers that slap you around. The 20 footers are normally
roller-coaster rides. It is the next size up thats fun to watch. These
are way over 20 feet and are at least 40 feet and no problem. They
become the horizon to the ENE and WSW. When you first pass one looking
aft, it blots the horizon and the horizon stays blotted even as you
ride the middle 20 footers. These giant waves are about .1 to .2 miles
from crest to crest and if there were no other waves would be smoothly
defined. As it is, the 20 footers sometimes peak on the 40 footers,
causing some crashing waves as high as 50 to 60 feet (freak waves
except that these freaks are everywhere right now) and it is good to
avoid these as much as possible. The boat gets very wet from such
monsters. Very impressive site, these giants marching through the sea.
The best day was about mid trip 15 knots steady from the NNW and the
swells where about 25 foot but close to a mile wide, kept rocking me
to sleep. Ran thru a pod of sperm whales, one must have been 80 feet
long came right up to my boat and looked at me. Id swear its eye was
as big as a bowling ball She had a small calf about the same size as
my boat. Also had a wore out white parrot hitch a ride 5 days out from
Pearl Harbor. He slept the whole time on the boom next to the mast. I
set a bowl of trailmix out but he did not eat anything, took off when
I was sleeping, hope he makes it to land.
Ate alot of fresh fish caught trolling along flosum borders, mai mia,
tuna, dolphins, ling. All that eatin and I still managed to lose 30
pounds. Down to a trim slim 190 pounds.
Had one scary night that I smelled a ship but could never see it. Had
2 Navy Tomcats fly by low and supersonic that was cool! But that boom
rattled my teeth.
Had 4 days of no wind at all, got tired of waiting and motored for a
day until I hit a low pressure system with some wind.
For the last week I had the wind right on the nose, and I could smell
Hawaii’s pineapple fields 2 days out. The fresh fruit I had
onboard ran out or rotted the first week.
Will stay here in Pearl for a couple of weeks, have my boat anchored
just outside my hotel window with the Arizona memorial in the
background. Staying at the Harbor Shores hotel for a week then will
gunkhole around ohau then its off to Maui the valley isle for a 3 week
stay at a friends plantation that is less than 2 mile from iao neddle.
Have to go to sightseeing now, rented a couple of scotters heading to
diamond head, will try to post more later.

Hope your all enjoying your sailing.

Capt. American
SAIL LOCO

Well I vote this guy as sailor of the year. Maybe the Boob will give him his
Rolex.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
Bobsprit

Well I vote this guy as sailor of the year. Maybe the Boob will give him his
Rolex.

He deserves it. Awesome post. Neal should mail him his bucket as well.

RB
katysails

Well I vote this guy as sailor of the year. Maybe the Boob will give him his
Rolex.

I second the motion...
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Jonathan Ganz

No way. Fat Boy would never lose his lunch. It's too
precious.

wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:01:11 -0400, "katysails"

wrote:

Well I vote this guy as sailor of the year. Maybe the Boob will give him

his
Rolex.

I second the motion...

Don't mention "motion" around Boob. He'll turn green and heave in an

instant
from just thinking about it..

BB

Thomas Stewart

Aloha, you old Seadog!

Congradulations on your Voyage!!! Puts you at the top of the group. I
salute you, sir, and ackownledge your superior status as a Blue Water
Sailor!

If you return by way of the Northern route it would please me no End, if
you would make Bellingham a Port of Call and a visit to Ole Thom

AND: "WE"LL DRINK TO THAT!"

Ole Thom

Capt.American

(Thomas Stewart) wrote in message ...
Aloha, you old Seadog!

Congradulations on your Voyage!!! Puts you at the top of the group. I
salute you, sir, and ackownledge your superior status as a Blue Water
Sailor!

If you return by way of the Northern route it would please me no End, if
you would make Bellingham a Port of Call and a visit to Ole Thom

AND: "WE"LL DRINK TO THAT!"

Ole Thom

Hello Ole Thom,

Dont know about being at the top of group, but I did start a great
voyage.
I would be honored to be able to visit you but my plans do not include
returning to Washington State. Ive had it with the cold and the rain.
Bought some waterfront property in Port Saint Joe Florida and when Im
tired of crusing the pacific I plan on going thru the big ditch to
Florida. Going to build my dream home. The thing is I may never tire
of crusing the pacific, I just wished I set off 10 years ago.

Having a nice stay here in pearl. Went to visit the Arizonia
memorial, not much left of her. Was here in 1980 and you could still
make out the gun turrents and other key parts of the ship, still had
fuel oil that would bubble out of her, today its hard to make out what
a great ship she was. Seems there where more Japs visiting the
memorial than Americans. Dont know weather they were gloating or
honoring the people that died there. At least the Japs had enough
respect, diginity, honor and balls to attack military targets, not the
the gutless ballless cowards that attack citizens going to work.

Hope things are going well for you and your getting out on the water
often.

Capt. American
Capt.American

"Donal" wrote in message ...
"Capt.American" wrote in message
om...
Ahoy ASA,
Well I make it to Hawaii from Seattle in 31 days. At an adverage of 76
miles per day for an adverage of 3 knots. That’s 2480 nautical
miles est..

Congrats, ..... and bloody well done!

It's encouraging to see someone achieve their dream. You've probably helped
a few of us onto our next step.

Regards

Donal
--

Thanks Donal!

Capt. American
Flying Tadpole

I came in late. I'm impressed, CA, also mildly envious. Are you
sailing back again, or continuing on?

Flying Tadpole

FS: 1979 Aloha 34 Sailboat in Maryland/Chesapeake Bay - CRUISE READY Jon Klapper Marketplace 0 July 3rd 04 06:56 PM
FS: 1979 Aloha 34 Sailboat in Chesapeake Bay - great Condition! Jon Klapper Marketplace 0 June 10th 04 03:03 AM
Info on Aloha 34 Jon Klapper Cruising 0 May 26th 04 05:15 PM
FS: 1979 Aloha 34 Sailboat in Chesapeake Bay Jon Klapper Marketplace 0 May 24th 04 03:19 PM
FS: 1985 Aloha 32 in Rochester, NY Don Marketplace 0 January 24th 04 01:23 AM