sams

Default trailerable small sailboat for small family

Hi,

I started looking for a small sailboat for 4-5 people to sail on river
or sea. First time buyer with less or no experience on sailboat.
Iam like to get a 17' Catalina or O'day. But it need to be
trailerable, to be easy to launch and haul out of ramps by a V8
SUV/Truck. Any good advise? This is my first boat and dont want to
spend more thant 3K on boat, mast and sails. Other things I will fit
as I go.

Thanks for any advise.

Sam
Don White

Here's what I bought in May.
There are a few for saale in the states but mostly Ontario & Quebec
http://sailquest.com/market/models/spipe.htm

JFTeig

I started looking for a small sailboat for 4-5 people to sail on river
or sea. First time buyer with less or no experience on sailboat.
Iam like to get a 17' Catalina or O'day. But it need to be
trailerable, to be easy to launch and haul out of ramps by a V8
SUV/Truck. Any good advise? This is my first boat and dont want to
spend more thant 3K on boat, mast and sails. Other things I will fit
as I go.

Thanks for any advise.

Sam

Hi Sam,
4 or 5 is a lot for a small boat like a 17-20 footer. Plus the trailer ones are
liable to turn over in big puff of wind. You mentioned a budget of $3k for that
you could get an older Pearson 26 at least here on the great lakes. A P-26 will
sleep five friends or two couple easily, Yes i do know of a couple boats for
sale but they want more than $3k for them as they are in good condition with
lots of sails and good motors. $4k to $6k I think. Others I've seen are around
$3k without a lot of gear or without a motor. If trailering is a must look for
a Catalina 22. It's less likely to tip over and still has the positive
flotation as the the smaller boats should have. An SUV with a V-8 will easily
trailer most sailboats up to 26 feet, some more. If you want to race the boat a
J-24 is a good option for a trailer boat but way more than $3k more like $10k
for a good used one with good sails. If you don't do anything other than a few
hours of sailing per week and want something easy to launch and sail look for a
hobie cat 18. They're very fast with 4 people but also very wet, easy to set up
and sail.

Hope this helps
JT

sams

Thank you. I been pretty much convinced to get a Catalina Capri-18 or
22?

Now I was surfing the web and found too many types of keels. Wing
Keel, Swing Keel, Fin Keel and Center Board. Are they all different
names and type for the same technology? I would like to get a Swing
Keel or C.B assuming that it could be retrieved for easy trailering
and beaching.

Another question is do all the trailerable sailboats comes with
ballast? Is the improper use of ballast (racing with empty ballast)
cause the boat to go upside down in a puff?

I still have lot of questions with little answer. I will be more
comfortable with a sailboat with least complexities. I just want to
sail and sail often nothing else.

Thank you

Sam

(JFTeig) wrote in message ...
[...]

Don White

** Above the dinghys, most trailerable sailboats use a heavy keel as the
ballast. For example, my keel weighs 300 lbs and is raised & lowered
straight up & down by a bronze naval screw.
The Catalina 18 with the fixed shoal keel was my 2nd choice. A bit harder to
launch but more useable floor space in the cabin.

om...

(JFTeig) wrote in message

[...]

RichG

Sams..if you are really a "first time sailor with little or no
experience"..then I'd suggest you go rent/borrow/ a couple of boats before
buying.

I've owned sailboats from 11 ft to 27 ft.; fixed keels to daggerboards;
wheel steering to tiller.... they are ALL different. It would be a shame to
spend your hard earned ( and limited) funds on a boat that you didn't like
at all. Even on my 27's ...4 to 5 people.... can get crowded, depending on
how much time you're spending on the water.

$3,000.00 may be just enough to buy you some troubles, but not enough to buy
you a safely equipped boat.
RichG TX-WI

--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

ROBMURR

I would suggest a Catalina 22ft for that
many people. Very popular boat. I had
an 1983 model. Well made, easy to
work on, easy to sell when you move
up. I had the retractable keel but never
had a trailer(was in a slip) Your ballast
is in the keel, it weighs something like
800 lbs and hangs down 4.5 feet or so.
Stable, easy to sail, popular for racing
fleets too. A 5hp Nissan motor pushed
it very well. I suggest rigging all the
sails to be able to be raised and lowered
from the cockpit. Makes things easier.
Rob

OT Bush hatred basskisser General 210 February 16th 04 02:46 PM
small sailboat for coastal ocean: laser, or something better? jason General 5 December 30th 03 03:37 AM
Repost - this is so good it deserves to be read more than once Simple Simon ASA 12 October 20th 03 10:33 PM
HELP!!!! I'm selling my house and moving the family onto a sailboat! Jonathan Ganz ASA 5 August 26th 03 02:17 AM
A tough question for Jeff and Shen44 otnmbrd ASA 53 July 30th 03 06:14 PM