Keith

Default The Bomb Under the Sink

Well geez... don't forget diesel fuel and ammonium nitrate fertilizer.
Worked on the Federal Building in OK. Since a lot of us have diesel on the
boat already, I'm always watching out for folks bringing fertilizer to their
boat... could be a clue.

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
"plantsman" wrote in message

om...
I seem to recall a while back that some boys were making chemical bombs

from
something combined with aluminum foil in 2 liter bottles. They were

blowing
up mailboxes with them. I can't remember what the chemical was, but was
something very common.

David S.

Probably Drano and Al foil, makes a lot of heat and produces hydrogen.
We would fill balloons that way.

"LaBomba182" wrote in message
I was going over a friends boat that he has for sale (44 Marine Trader
http://www.cencon.34sp.com/index.html) and he was showing me around

because he
would like me to show the boat to a potential buyer over the

Thanksgiving
holiday while he is out of town.

As he is showing me around he points out this large dent in his

stainless
steel
galley sink about as big as if a man punched the sink from underneath

with
his
closed fist. And a good 1/2 to 3/4 inch high.
When I ask him how that happened, he tells me he had mixed some

chemicals
together to clean with (he could not remember just what he mixed with

what
anymore) and stored them in a plastic bottle under the galley sink. A

while
later he is running the boat with his wife from the bridge and they

hear a
loud
explosive bang!
He slowed the boat down thinking something has gone wrong with the

engs.
or
drive gear. After looking through the engine room and finding nothing

wrong,
his wife sees fluid leaking under the galley sink cabinet and when

they
open
the cabinet they find that the bottle with the cleaner mix in it had

exploded
with such force that the bottle cap had shot up and hit the sink

causing
the
large dent!
You could even see the shape of the cap in the dent!

Two thoughts came to mind:

1 Be careful what chemicals you mix together. Duh!

2 And if you are under attack by pirates, check what's under your

sink,
you
might just be able to make your own bottle bomb, bottle cap rocket

launcher.

Capt. Bill

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Of course Gene, one should NEVER, EVER mix brylcream with powdered
swimming pool chlorine and wrap it in aluminum foil! It might just go
ka-foomp and make an impressive fireball!

CF

Gene Kearns wrote:

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:23:11 GMT, "Capt. Frank Hopkins"
wrote:

hehe, alas, the days of childhood. Charcoal, saltpeter and sulfur with
assorted other chemicals. We made some dandy fireworks during the
summer. I would spend days grinding charcoal briquettes into fine powder
and mix it in the proper proportions. Add a little copper and you get a
get green. Some magnesium and get a brilliant white. A little zinc and
get blue-green, and just plain makes a nice yellow.

We would take rice and break it up, and put it in a rock tumbler with a
little wet powder mix to make the stars. A piece of 3 inch water pipe
for a mortar, and kraft paper from the butcher and potato paste glue to
make the shells.

My friend and I would light up the sky over the lake on the 4th and
Labor Day.

Of course the government had to get involved and make homemade fireworks
illegal.

Capt. Frank
Parallax wrote:

ROFL.... don't forget the potassium permanganate and sugar. And I
really miss those M-80s...

Gene Kearns

Parallax wrote:

ROFL.... don't forget the potassium permanganate and sugar. And I
really miss those M-80s...

Hmmm... never tried that one. Can you still buy the stuff? I don't
think there has been any of that stuff around the house since about
1956 when, very early one morning, my dad groggily tried to use it to
brush his teeth. Was also my first lesson in words not acceptable in
polite company.....
Chuck Tribolet

Or a blonde with greasy hair well protected from alien transmissions.

;-)

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.