Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Gary Warner

Default Sheepshank - Worthless ??

Ok, so now that the restoration is done and we're actually
boating I figured I'd work on my knots, hitches, bends, etc.

Actually, for our little 22 footer with all the proper lines
already on-board I won't need many knots. I've learned
a couple of hiches for fenders and bends to join ropes
together and the bowline and bowline on a bight for loops.

Anyway, the Sheepshank has me puzzled. I'll probably
almost never need to shorten a rope, so it doen's
matter, but it's bothering me anyway.

I keep trying it using different books and web sites
for instructions and pictures. But it never seems to
hold. Sometimes when I pull on the two ends
it does hold for a while, but any slack in the line
and the next time I pull the knot just comes
apart.

So, it the Sheepshank just this overrated thing or
and I doing it wrong or what?

Hooper:
Well I'm not talkin' about hooking some poor dogfish or sandshark. I'm
talking about finding a Great White!
Quint:
Porkers! Talkin' about porkers! Mr. Hooper. Just tie me a sheep shank.
Hooper:
I haven't had to pass basic seamanship in a long time. You didn't say how
short you wanted it. How's that?!