Wayne.B

Default Sheepshank - Worthless ??

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 16:35:33 -0400, "Gary Warner"
wrote:
the Sheepshank has me puzzled. I'll probably
almost never need to shorten a rope, so it doen's
matter, but it's bothering me anyway.

I keep trying it using different books and web sites
for instructions and pictures. But it never seems to
hold. Sometimes when I pull on the two ends
it does hold for a while, but any slack in the line
and the next time I pull the knot just comes
apart.

So, it the Sheepshank just this overrated thing or
and I doing it wrong or what?

=============================

Are you tieing a single sheepshank or a double? A single will not
stay tied with out tension on it, but a double sheepshank will.
The "double" looks like a loop of line with each end of the loop
secured by a clove hitch.

That said, neither the single or double sheepshank has a lot of
everyday purpose and are most frequently seen on a knot board or in a
scouting manual.

Gary Warner

Thanks for the comments.

The rope I am using to learn my knots is probably to
small & slippery for this one. I'll try on some other
rope.

Happy Boating.