Pete McKinney

Default what to tow with

I know I will be buying a boat in a few years and I'm considering what
I will need to tow it. Currently, I own a Toyota Sienna and am about
to replace my other vehicle. The Toyota website says the Sienna has a
towing capacity of 3,500 pounds. Is this enough to pull a ski boat?
One of the vehicles I'm considering is the Tacoma, which also lists a
capacity of 3,500 pounds.

Would there be a towing difference between the two vehicles, or should
they perform about the same?
Woodchuck

Consider this, the gross tow weight also includes what you put inside the
vehicle. So if you carry 3 people, coolers, gear, etc inside your vehicle
which totals about 800lbs and have a tow rating of 4000lbs then what you tow
can only total 3200lbs.

"Pete McKinney" wrote in message
om...
I know I will be buying a boat in a few years and I'm considering what
I will need to tow it. Currently, I own a Toyota Sienna and am about
to replace my other vehicle. The Toyota website says the Sienna has a
towing capacity of 3,500 pounds. Is this enough to pull a ski boat?
One of the vehicles I'm considering is the Tacoma, which also lists a
capacity of 3,500 pounds.

Would there be a towing difference between the two vehicles, or should
they perform about the same?

Doug Kanter

"Pete McKinney" wrote in message
om...
I know I will be buying a boat in a few years and I'm considering what
I will need to tow it. Currently, I own a Toyota Sienna and am about
to replace my other vehicle. The Toyota website says the Sienna has a
towing capacity of 3,500 pounds. Is this enough to pull a ski boat?
One of the vehicles I'm considering is the Tacoma, which also lists a
capacity of 3,500 pounds.

Would there be a towing difference between the two vehicles, or should
they perform about the same?

Like others have said, it depends on many factors. I own a 2002 Tacoma (6
cylinder automatic) for towing because with a sedan (93 Taurus 6 cyl), and
on windy days, the car didn't have a stiff enough suspension to not be
jerked around by the trailer at high speeds. Now, if this problem only
existed for short drives, I'd put up with it, but much of the time, I'm
towing for 2-6 hours. That's more time than I want to be putting up with a
swaying tow vehicle at 65 mph. By the way, my boat & trailer weigh about
1500 lbs, so a larger one would make matters worse. The Tacoma is rock
solid.

Now....is it worth it? For me, yes, in terms of peace of mind. But no matter
WHAT anyone tells you and regardless of how efficient Toyota motors are, the
Tacoma gets 17-18 around town, so I'm burning more gas than I'd like to when
I'm not towing. If most of my towing was local, I would've gotten a
different tow vehicle and modified it a bit.

If your Sienna has been well maintained, there's no reason not to tow with
it. Specifically, you should be AHEAD of the maintenance schedule for
changing TRANSMISSION fluid & filter. Shocks should be in good shape, not
just "passable". And, you might consider air shocks for the rear, if you
find that the vehicle sags under the weight of trailer, luggage and
passengers. I believe your car is front wheel drive, right? That's another
reason to keep the trailer from taking weight off the front wheels,
especially when it's raining hard.

If your manual's like mine, it'll define "towing package" to include a
different fan clutch, which is denoted by a colored band on the fan's hub.
You may not want to change the fan clutch, but at least be very attentive to
cooling system maintenance. The best mod you could do would be to add a
transmission cooler, which is like a small radiator installed inline with
the tranny fluid. U-Haul advertises this service, but I'd lean toward having
it done by a trusted mechanic or the Toyota dealer. It's not rocket science,
but you don't want your tranny fluid draining out on the highway because
some hack used a rubber band instead of a hose clamp.

Rod McInnis

"Pete McKinney" wrote in message
om...
Currently, I own a Toyota Sienna and am about
to replace my other vehicle. The Toyota website says the Sienna has a
towing capacity of 3,500 pounds. Is this enough to pull a ski boat?

A very light ski boat, like a 16 foot outboard. I certainly wouldn't
recommend it for a good sized tournament ski boat.

Would there be a towing difference between the two vehicles, or should
they perform about the same?

There are several issues about towing that you need to consider.

When towing down a freeway the drag of the trailer will increase the load on
the car. In most cases a boat is fairly good in this regard as they are
fairly streamlined and low profile. A whole lot better than say a camping
trailer!

Wheelbase is another issue. When the trailer starts to sway, a short wheel
base tow vehicle can get pushed around pretty bad.

Stopping: It is one thing to take a while to get the load going, it is
another thing to take a while to get it stopped. If your tow vehicle is
light then trailer brakes are essential.

Getting the load moving: This is where boats are far worse than any other
type of trailer. Launching the boat is easy, but eventually you need to put
the boat back on the trailer and take it home. The boat ramp can be steep
and the boat can be loaded with people, gear, and possibly a fair amount of
bilge water. The car has to be able to get this load moving up a very steep
hill. Automatics generally do better at this, I have seen underpowered
manual transmissions just burn their clutch up trying to haul a boat out.

In general, the larger the vehicle the better for towing.

Rod

Don White

I tow same weight or slightly more with a Plymouth Voyager mini-van with 3.0
litre 6.
I've been thinking of a Toyota Sienna, and with it's 3500 capacity
represents the best value in my parts.
(About $30K CDN.) Those Tacoma and Tundra trucks are way overpriced in this
market and according to Consumers Reports, the Tacoma is uncomfortable to
drive.

Netsock

My 20' Malibu skier is 4200 lbs dry, with trailer...over the rating.

Have you looked at the Nissan Titan?

As for the difference between the two Toys, the longer wheel base will
favor...which is the Tacoma I believe.

Take care.

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.insight.rr.com/cgreen/

"Pete McKinney" wrote in message
om...
I know I will be buying a boat in a few years and I'm considering what
I will need to tow it. Currently, I own a Toyota Sienna and am about
to replace my other vehicle. The Toyota website says the Sienna has a
towing capacity of 3,500 pounds. Is this enough to pull a ski boat?
One of the vehicles I'm considering is the Tacoma, which also lists a
capacity of 3,500 pounds.

Would there be a towing difference between the two vehicles, or should
they perform about the same?

Wayne.B

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 18:27:48 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

Those Tacoma and Tundra trucks are way overpriced in this
market and according to Consumers Reports, the Tacoma is uncomfortable to
drive.

Can't speak about the Tacoma but I've had a Tundra for almost three
years and it's a great truck.

Pete McKinney

Thanks for the really great responses. Most of my hauling should be
short distances, so I think I'll try and stay with the Sienna. Nice
to get such quick, friendly and informative responses.