Wayne.B

Default what to tow with

On 3 Aug 2004 20:02:11 -0700, (Pete
McKinney) wrote:
I know I will be buying a boat in a few years and I'm considering what
I will need to tow it. Currently, I own a Toyota Sienna and am about
to replace my other vehicle. The Toyota website says the Sienna has a
towing capacity of 3,500 pounds. Is this enough to pull a ski boat?
One of the vehicles I'm considering is the Tacoma, which also lists a
capacity of 3,500 pounds.

Would there be a towing difference between the two vehicles, or should
they perform about the same?

The best choice is a pick up truck, followed closely by a full size
SUV. Everything else is a compromise in some way. A lot depends on
distance and conditions however. Short distance, low speed and no
hills, you could tow with almost anything that meets legal towing
capacity. Take the published weight of your boat and trailer, add in
your fuel capacity at 7# to the gallon, and then add another 500# for
gear, etc. Ideally the total of all that is less than 80 percent of
rated capacity.