mark

Default solo in a tandem

Is there a tandem kayak that also performs well as a solo?

"mark" wrote in message
om...
Is there a tandem kayak that also performs well as a solo?

The Perception Sundance II 15.0 does great. I can take our kids out in it by
paddling in the back without any problems at all or the front seat can be
slid back to just past the middle for completely single paddling. It's an
easy boat to control, tracks nice and seat our family of four (two adults, 2
and 6 year old boys. The boys each sit on the square boat seat type
cushions.)

Mike Beede

In article , wrote:

"mark" wrote in message
om...
Is there a tandem kayak that also performs well as a solo?

I have an Old Town Loon 160T. It is firmly in the "recreational" mold, but
subject to that limitation it paddles fine with one. I just slide the front
seat back a ways and I'm able to center myself pretty well. I thought it
couldn't be turned, but then I found out about leaning out of the
turn and in fact it turns pretty well. Please note that I've never paddled
a *real* kayak, so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.

It is a little heavy--nearly 80 pounds--but it makes up for it with
low price....

Mike Beede
William R. Watt

theoretically there is a weight distribution problem and a power
limitation so it would not perform as well as a boat designed for solo
use. the double will ride higher and have more windage when paddled solo.
then there is the added length making paddling in a cross wind more work.
the desinger's expected performance numbers won't be met. it's not
possible with the current state of kayak knowledge to say by how much.
so it's pretty much a subjective judgement and when that is the case there
are conflicting opinions as we've read in this newsgroup. if you look
at calculated theroetical hull resistance numbers for solo and double kayaks
at different speeds and convert to horespower you can get an idea of the
different power requirements. There is a double kayak plotted with a group
of solo kayaks at www.oneoceankayaks.com/kayakpro/kayakgrid.htm

there is a couple with identical solo kayaks and a dog whom I've seen
paddling locally. the dog, looks like 40-50 lb animal, sits in the rear
hatch of the fellow's kayak. as the two kayaks go by it's easy to see the
effect of the added weight in the stern. the stern is almost awash on one
while it had 3-4 inches of freeboard on the other. on the kayak with the
dog the bow rides high. they are just out for a liesurely paddle in calm
weather so it doesn't matter. if you assume the fellow is stronger than
the girl then it sort of evens things out.

mark ) writes:
Is there a tandem kayak that also performs well as a solo?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Eric Nyre

The Seda Amigo was designed as a hybrid solo/ tandem sea kayak.

It is 18' long, 25" wide

I wouldn't want to paddle it in really bad conditions, but it is the
best attempt I have seen so far. There are inherent contradictions in
creating a solo/ tandem kayak and it compromises as best it can.

A review can be found at
http://www.canoecolorado.com/kayaking/seda/amigo/

The Manufacturer is Seda Kayaks http://www.sedakayaks.com

Solo canoe speed Jack General 10 June 11th 04 08:52 PM
Tandem tourers Mtkkburk Touring 10 October 27th 03 07:36 AM
wenonah Harry General 6 October 6th 03 06:19 PM
Almost ready bkr General 18 September 26th 03 07:48 PM
Best solo approach with Old Town Discovery 133k? John T. General 0 August 2nd 03 12:43 PM