MH

Default mounting a downrigger

I want to mount a downrigger on a Wellcraft 180 Sportsman. Does
anyone have any advice or warnings ?
Ron White

I don't know anything about the boat you have so this will not be specific
to your boat.
This is the way I like mine;
1.Put the downrigger about 18" or 2' behind it's intended rod , This is so
you can operate the reel with one hand and and the downrigger with the
other.
2. If the unit has a swivel base, don't put the downrigger square with the
hull. Put the downrigger at an angle so that when it is in the stored
position it will not lay over any of the rod holders, this way a rod holder
will not be blocked when the down rigger is stored.
3. I like to use backing plates on the underside of the gunnel to make the
mounting solid.

--
Ron White
Boat building web address is

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach MH :
What if I don't have access to use a backing plate ? Would (4) 1.5"
stainless steel screws hold if the weight snags ?

If it's screwed into fiberglass only, they'll pull right out... I've seen
it happen.

If you ABSOLUTELY cannot find a place to mount it where you have access to
the back for a backing plate, West Marine sells stainless steel toggle
nuts for blind holes. not as good a solution as a backing plate, but a
hundred times better than a regular screw.

BTW, you'll want to place them as far aft as possible, unless you enjoy
shelling out 30 bucks to replace the cable and cannonball everytime you
turn too sharply and clip the cable.

Dan

--
It's good to drink. It's good to laugh. But try to both at the same time
and you'll pay through the nose.