Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Brian Saucier

Default Do you have a Mercathode system ? How to diagnose

Hello All,

It has been awhile since I posted or subscribed to this newsgroup. I
hope everyone is well and enjoying their boating season.

My season just took a setback ... as my boat (2000 SeaRay Sundancer 290)
is sitting on blocks, awaiting delivery of 2 new lower units for my Bravo II
drives. Severe corrosion, despite changing all sacrificial anodes, every 9
months, caused major cracks along the 'bullet' casing. There are two cracks
on each side of the twin I/Os that are severe. Generally the drives' lower
ends (only 4 years old have pretty much disintegrated. So .... estimated
~$8000 later, I'm wondering what the heck happened ?!!?

Some facts: I have a reverse polarity indicator that never shows a
problem from my shore power.
However, the marina was flooded last year after a hurricane and the 'light
and GFI doesn't work' on the shore power box ... and I suspect stray
current - but don't know how to check it (mostly fresh bayou water).

My neighbor boats (only 2 others nearby) seem to not even use their
shore power much.

How does one 'check' a Mercathode system on my boat to make sure it is
working correctly ? I really want to rule-out anything going on in my boat
and the slip before I return with new drives.

Thanks in advance to all that provide me advice !!!

Greatest Regards,
Brian