aussie

Default bertram 35

Just about to buy Bertram 35, 1980 build but presents in great
condition....any "gotcha's" or info would be a real help as its our first
big boat .
thanks for all feedback
Phil

Rod McInnis

"aussie" yup wrote in message news:3fba7777$1@news1...
Just about to buy Bertram 35, 1980 build but presents in great
condition....any "gotcha's" or info would be a real help as its our first
big boat .

Get a survey!

The typical proceedure for a situation like this is that the buyer makes an
offer based on the perceived condition of the boat, contingent on an
"acceptable" survey and sea trial. The buyer then selects a professional
surveyor and arranges for his services along with a haul out.

Prices vary with area, but in my area I would expect to pay the boat yard
~$10 a foot to haul the boat out and to pay the surveyor another $10 a foot
to examin it. It would be OK to accept the recommendation of the seller on
the boat yard for the haulout, but I wouldn't use such a recommendation for
the surveyor. The boat yard should have a list, or contact the insurance
company that you would be using to see if they have a recommendation (or
requirement!)

Your "sea trial" will be the ride from where the boat is to the boat yard.
It will take a day to get the boat hauled out, and then another day to have
the surveyor look it over. Try to be there with the surveyor, his verbal
comments can be very enlightening. Don't freak when he starts beating on
the hull with a hammer.

Don't be surprised when the survey turns up issues. Use this as a tool to
renegotiate with the seller. Some issues, such as bottom paint, would be
considered normal wear and tear and the seller probably won't compensate.
Fiberglass blisters, wood rot, non working equipment, etc. are things that
are subject to negotiation.

If the issues are minor (like missing safety equipment) you might just agree
with the seller for a price adjustment. If there is significant work that
needs to be done, I recommend that you have the seller fix it before you
conclude the deal.

If the problems are major, or if the seller won't budge, be prepared to walk
away. The $1000 you have probably just spent may be small change compared t
o the costs of fixing a problem boat.

If things go well you will conclude the deal while the boat is sitting in
the boat yard. Now it's yours. While it is out, have the bottom painted,
new zincs, the hull buffed, etc. When the boat goes back into the water you
will know that it is in good shape for at least a year.

Rod

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hi Phil,
I used to have a '77 Bertie 35. It was a good boat. Beware of wood rot
though. Especially around the keel area. That could be an expensive repair.

Engines (Crusaders) are difficult to work on as there is not enough
space between them. Rarely does one need to get to that area except to
change out manifolds.

Electrical is great. Well assembled and corrosion resistant. Some models
used perko light fixtures which may need to be changed out, as the lens
deteriorates and turns cloudy.

Hope that helps.

Capt. Frank

aussie wrote:
Just about to buy Bertram 35, 1980 build but presents in great
condition....any "gotcha's" or info would be a real help as its our first
big boat .
thanks for all feedback
Phil

bb

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 06:48:31 +1100, "aussie" yup wrote:

Just about to buy Bertram 35, 1980 build but presents in great
condition....any "gotcha's" or info would be a real help as its our first
big boat .
thanks for all feedback

Check out the cockpit sole construction. For some years, the cockpit
sole was wood and tended to rot, as would be expected. Somebody makes
a fiberglass replacement unit for it.

Good luck.

bb
Peggie Hall

aussie wrote:
Just about to buy Bertram 35, 1980 build but presents in great
condition....any "gotcha's" or info would be a real help as its our first
big boat .
thanks for all feedback

Make any offer "subject to survey"...and hire the best surveyor you can
find...Do not accept a seller's survey, and avoid surveyors recommended
by the broker or seller....and make sure you ask for a full pre-purchase
survey, not just the cursory "condition and value" survey that will be
required by your lender and/or insurance carrier for a boat that old.

Lenders and insurance companies are only interested in knowing whether
the boat is worth what they're risking and whether any condition exists
that might cost THEM money...they don't care whether the boat has any
problems that will cost YOU money. And the seller only wants to swap
your his boat for your money...so he's hoping you won't find any hidden
problems till after you own it. A full pre-purchase survey covers every
inch of the boat--structural, wiring, plumbing...all the systems except
engines and generators. And the best surveyors are aware of known issues
of various makes/models/years, as well as the CG and other safety
standards. An offer "subject to survey" gives you the option of backing
out of the deal altogether without penalty if the survey reveals any
serious problems...or renegotiating the price or insisting that the
seller correct any problems at his expense as a condition of sale. Don't
even THINK of buying a boat on any other terms. And be there during the
survey...'cuz you'll learn more about your boat from the surveyor in one
day than you could learn on your own in a year.

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Bertram 33 NOYB General 1 August 31st 03 07:10 PM
FS: Bertram 33 Harry Krause General 1 August 31st 03 04:30 PM
Bertram 33 website Dr. Kato General 2 August 22nd 03 08:29 PM