Buck Frobisher

Default Building Floor for 14' Aluminums, how?

Thanks!

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
The glue and there are no interior voids in marine grade ply.

CM

Del Cecchi

In article ,
"Buck Frobisher" writes:
| I suppose the difference is the glue used? Or is there a final treatment as
| well?
|
| thanks.
|
| --
| "Stay calm. Be brave. Wait for the signs."
|
| regards,
|
| Frank Johansen
| Aurora, Ontario
|
| "Almus Kenter" wrote in message
| In rec.boats Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
|
| : Home Despot has Marine Grade??? Last I looked, all they had was some
| : wimpy pine (or "SPF", which is usually spruce), exterior grade. I went
| : Windsor Ply for marine grade (as well as ext. grade fir)
|
| : Lloyd
|
| Some of them do (supposedly) but I have never seen
| an HD that carried it. For this application (IMHO) Marine grade
| is over-kill. I've built boats and do appreciate marine ply.
| but for this project exterior fir nominal "1/2"" whatever the hell
| that is now ( 7/16" ? 15/32" ? 125/256" ??)
| is adequate. I got some great exterior ply at HD when I went; but
| every HD is different and every time you go it is different.
| They had pine (more $$ less rot resistant) I didn't see any spf
| though I have heard of it.
| --

You might consider treated plywood as well. It resists rot.

--

Del Cecchi

Personal Opinions Only
Calif Bill

I think it is the same exterior glue, just no voids internally. For floors,
to not need the marine ply.
Bill

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
The glue and there are no interior voids in marine grade ply.

CM

"Buck Frobisher" wrote in message
.. .
| I suppose the difference is the glue used? Or is there a final

treatment
as
| well?
|
| thanks.
|
| --
| "Stay calm. Be brave. Wait for the signs."
|
| regards,
|
| Frank Johansen
| Aurora, Ontario
|
| "Almus Kenter" wrote in message
| In rec.boats Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
|
| : Home Despot has Marine Grade??? Last I looked, all they had was
some
| : wimpy pine (or "SPF", which is usually spruce), exterior grade. I

went
| : Windsor Ply for marine grade (as well as ext. grade fir)
|
| : Lloyd
|
| Some of them do (supposedly) but I have never seen
| an HD that carried it. For this application (IMHO) Marine grade
| is over-kill. I've built boats and do appreciate marine ply.
| but for this project exterior fir nominal "1/2"" whatever the hell
| that is now ( 7/16" ? 15/32" ? 125/256" ??)
| is adequate. I got some great exterior ply at HD when I went; but
| every HD is different and every time you go it is different.
| They had pine (more $$ less rot resistant) I didn't see any spf
| though I have heard of it.
| --
|
| almus kenter
| (617)495-7056
|

| `` Pluralitas est ponenda sine neccesitate''
| `` carpe per diem ''
|
| Victor and vanquished never unite in substantial agreement. - Tacitus

Rastus O'Dingha

I have a 1999 "Lund" SV-16. You know the boat, just a basic aluminum hull
with 3 bench seats. Well it no longer resembles its former self on the
inside. I cut 18" out of the center bench and now use the 2 remaining
sections for underseat storage. From the leading edge of the front bench, I
continued right to the bow with a casting platform under which I built and
plumbed a fully functional livewell. I then built a dry storage area right
up in the bow the top of which is level with the gunwales. I dug the foam
out of the port side of the rear bench and built-in a battery box. I wired
the whole boat with nav lights, livewell and bilge pumps, power point for
the GPS and of course the fishfinder. I used "D" grade plywood for all (1/2"
on the floor & 3/4" for the casting platform) and varathaned the hell out of
it. I then stretched and stapled I/O carpeting to all. The casting platform
is stiffened with 2x4's on edge and the floorboards with 3/4" x 2" plywood
strips on edge running bow to stern. The bow and stern edges of the
floorboards are supported by 1"x1"x1/8" thick angled aluminum which I pop
riveted to the bench seats. I then finished her off with a couple of
high-backed swivel chairs. Whole project (not including cost of boat of
course) cost me about $750.00 for materials and approximately 40 hours of my
time. For fear of sounding arrogant, those that saw the finished product
thought the boat came from the factory like that. That's until they opened
the livewell and saw that it was made from a 15 gallon Rubbermaid tub. I do
have pictures, from several angles, but their location is somewhat of a
mystery at this time. When I find them I will make them available to anyone
interested.
--
Rastus O'Dingha
Yellowknife NT
"n0sPaM" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

I have a basic aluminum 14' boat (Starcraft SF14), and I want to build the
floor myself.

Is there any suggestions or tips? any construction plan (photos or diagra

m)
I can find on the web?

N.S.

Doug Kanter

Rastus, I may want to telephone you to talk about some of the details of
your project. I have a WC-14, I've had similar plans in my head for the past
two seasons. If it would be OK to call, please drop me an email.
-Doug / Rochester NY

.. .

"n0sPaM" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

I have a basic aluminum 14' boat (Starcraft SF14), and I want to build

the
floor myself.

Is there any suggestions or tips? any construction plan (photos or

diagra
m)
I can find on the web?

N.S.

LD

Just a thought.......
I've had some indoor/outdoor carpet glued down in my 14' Duracraft
(duckboat) for more than 15years with dogs, muddy waders, etc and it's held
up. I spanned across the trough's and cut drain holes in front of the cross
ribs, glued it down with some spray contact "trim" cement. It's made the
floor quiet and non slippery, (and my lab likes it).
LD